PDA

View Full Version : Speed kills . . .

Selkirk
07-12-2014, 11:32 PM
http://raven.b-it.ca/portals/uploads/BCLN2007/.DIR288/SpeedKillsyourPocketbook2.jpg

Link; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw&feature=kp

The Province of British Columbia has started to listen. When will other Provinces do the same?

Mac

5Lgreenback
07-13-2014, 12:07 AM
http://raven.b-it.ca/portals/uploads/BCLN2007/.DIR288/SpeedKillsyourPocketbook2.jpg

Link; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BKdbxX1pDw&feature=kp

The Province of British Columbia has started to listen. When will other Provinces do the same?

Mac

There was just recently a thread on this. But that video does a good job disproving the misguided points of the nay sayers.

calgarychef
07-13-2014, 12:16 AM
Poor driving skills is the killer, the slow driver who doesn't know the rules is way more dangerous than the speedy good driver. I know very few GOOD alberta drivers by the way. I know some VERY good foreign drivers who have had to get extensive training before being unleashed .....unlike us.

fish gunner
07-13-2014, 12:18 AM
Poor driving skills is the killer, the slow driver who doesn't know the rules is way more dangerous than the speedy good driver. I know very few GOOD alberta drivers by the way. I know some VERY good foreign drivers who have had to get extensive training before being unleashed .....unlike us.

:scared0018:

rugatika
07-13-2014, 01:40 AM
Good video and the guy did some great research.

I have to admit that I'm somewhat shocked that any branch of the government would use their powers to generate revenue instead of considering the public interest. :rolleye2:

Now, cue the "people that speed are wanton law-breakers and death dealers" crowd.

score
07-13-2014, 02:14 AM

wtf are you talking about. total bs right there. foreign drivers as a whole are some of the worst drivers out there. 9 times out of 10 when something stupid happens, it's an immigrant.....bar none.

Magnet7mm
07-13-2014, 06:13 AM
wtf are you talking about. total bs right there. foreign drivers as a whole are some of the worst drivers out there. 9 times out of 10 when something stupid happens, it's an immigrant.....bar none.

That being said have you looked around immigrants outnumber us about 5-1 higher in some cities maybe nots as big of a offset as you point out run the numbers and of course they are in more accidents it's because there is more if them.
Same thing as young male drivers are statistically worse than female ones. Wayyyy more buys driving at 16 than girls

hollowleg
07-13-2014, 07:11 AM
Very amusing and entertaining video. Of course revenue is the main purpose of traffic enforcement. Getting a ticket in the mail, however, does not slow anyone down as it happened in the past. Ask my wife. So we pay it and move on. Face to face with an actual officer has a more significant effect. For sure our speed limits need to be increased. We have highways that are built for much higher speeds but limits are low for revenue purposes. And the media are the worst when it comes to making the news up to suit there agenda for the day.
Man has always known how to fleece fellow man just by making rules that are easily broken and thus easily policed.

Grizzly Adams
07-13-2014, 07:22 AM
This would seem to fly in the face of BC raising speed limits on a number of roads. :confused:

Grizz

pikergolf
07-13-2014, 07:28 AM
Someday I'm going to go out take photo's and post a photo essay on Medicine Hat's posted speeds. We have lots of places with a divided 4 lane roadway posted at 50 km. Coppers do a booming business, I guess the upside of that is we write so many stupid speeding tickets we can hold the line on taxes a little bit.

Very good little video by the way, I've seen it before.

igorot
07-13-2014, 07:43 AM

But they have a valid drivers license ha. So is it the person fault or the system.

elkhunter11
07-13-2014, 07:58 AM
I have to admit that I'm somewhat shocked that any branch of the government would use their powers to generate revenue instead of considering the public interest.

Are you really?:sHa_sarcasticlol:

RBI
07-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Yes , quite an interesting video ,I'd be ready to vote yes , on all the points he was making . But in all fairness , if for instance ,if someone for the opposing side of the story , could produce basically the same video .... is it possible that they too could have you ready to vote for their points ? :thinking-006:

I'm asking this in the direction that I believe that pretty much anybody can be convinced to agree with or buy into just about anything , if its delivered in such a medium that appeals to them .

I guess this is why " advertising " is such a large part of our way of life.

Convincing somebody that yours/way/product is better than someone else's is frankly the way the world has run since it began .

It would be nice to live in a world , where all our decisions could be made
from equally balanced data.

My thoughts , maybe not yours

Forest Techer
07-13-2014, 11:14 AM
^ no I like the video because it agrees with my viewpoint already : )

I don't like anyone dictating arbitrary "public safety" rules then coincidentally profiting from them.

It's not a speed problem it's a people problem. I can pass ANY driver training and still drive like a moron everyday.

Anyone that buys into the rhetoric about speed kills and it's for the good of everyone has bought a load of horse manure.

HUGE disparities among technologies. Roads. Conditions. Yet the speed limit can stay the same throughout! Funny how that works.
Double lane divided paved road here in summer 100km/hr. Single lane no shoulders 30yo road in winter driving a 30yo 2wd truck 100km/hr if that makes sense to you you've lost all ability for critical thinking. Just admit it's for simplicity or convenience sake, that I can buy. Don't say it has anything to do with safety. Otherwise speed limits would be based on driver experience vehicle capability road conditions and traffic.

Make no speed limit except schools, parks and emergency zones and ticket anyone driving unsafe!! Or have a matrix that covers every circumstance.

Selkirk
07-13-2014, 11:34 AM

Actually, that's ^ very true! Especially when you consider that over 80% of us in this country are immigrants, or of immigrant stock.

Dang those darn Immigrants ... they're everywhere! :lol:

This would seem to fly in the face of BC raising speed limits on a number of roads. :confused:

Grizz

Sorry Grizz. I should have mentioned that little vid was first aired back in Sept. of 2013, long before BC started upping it's speed limits this year.

Mac

fish gunner
07-13-2014, 01:30 PM

A tough one for you to comprehend not once was immigrant mentioned in the post you quoted. extensively trained foreign drivers notice level of training and fact that they are not from canada ....you are pointing out all immigrants which of course gives a clue to your myopic view point. im an immigrant I have been in one minor bump in 30 years of driving so.... how do you know from a visual pov who is an immigrant? ?? Cause I cant and I am one. .
So your post basically does not relate to the quoted post. You of course got the cracker jack licence :sHa_sarcasticlol: trained to the level of stop signs and parallel parking .but thats ok cause your from here. :)

Ricktye
07-14-2014, 07:00 AM
Stats please that slow drivers cause more accidents???? They may frustrate you into causing an accident, but I doubt they cause them. Just because you WANT to believe something doesn't make it true. I believe speed is nearly always the cause (even with impaired drivers) of serious or fatal MVA's. But I don't have proof of that!

R...

RagingPenguin
07-14-2014, 07:22 AM
Considering people can't handle the speed limits as they are.... Three accidents yesterday on the QE2 . On a clear sunny day. Those that want faster speeds should take a chill pill and leave earlier.

calgarychef
07-14-2014, 08:44 AM

9 out of 10 times huh. Where did you get those "facts?" I'll bet you're one of the dudes who cruise in the fast lane and pass on the right by the way.

Have you ever driven in the states, Britain, Europe? I'm not talking about foreigners who just got their first driving licence. I'm talking about the ones who have learned to drive with graduated testing. The ones who have to be tested before even being able to drive at night, on highways, with a standard etc.

When I got my international drivers licence I was amazed that all we have to do is walk in and plunk down our money then presto we're ok to drive in other countries without even a test or a book to read about how things work in other countries.

Take a look at the highways and how the traffic moves and I'll guarantee you that alberta drivers aren't ready for faster speed limits.

silverdoctor
07-14-2014, 09:13 AM
Take a look at the highways and how the traffic moves and I'll guarantee you that alberta drivers aren't ready for faster speed limits.

People just need to learn the rules of the road. Heaven forbid Albertans learn right of way and merging. I know people that will drive 10 miles out of their way to avoid a traffic circle cause they don't know how to navigate - yet they won't learn. Now mind you, watching people navigate a circle is interesting as well - they think they know how to...

Some people don't know what a speed limit is, and I swear some drivers just want to tick off the majority. Case in point, went to fickle lake yesterday and on the way back, 2 bikers kept traffic @ 90 in a 110 zone. Then the idiot with cruise control on in the fast lane pulling at 100 in a 110 zone, totally oblivious to the fact that every car has to pass on the right.

People really REALLY need to learn the rules of the road.

fish gunner
07-14-2014, 04:38 PM
People just need to learn the rules of the road. Heaven forbid Albertans learn right of way and merging. I know people that will drive 10 miles out of their way to avoid a traffic circle cause they don't know how to navigate - yet they won't learn. Now mind you, watching people navigate a circle is interesting as well - they think they know how to...

Some people don't know what a speed limit is, and I swear some drivers just want to tick off the majority. Case in point, went to fickle lake yesterday and on the way back, 2 bikers kept traffic @ 90 in a 110 zone. Then the idiot with cruise control on in the fast lane pulling at 100 in a 110 zone, totally oblivious to the fact that every car has to pass on the right.

People really REALLY need to learn the rules of the road.

Very few know what the little wand on the left side of the steering wheel is for and imo it goes down hill from there . The cronic abuse of the current limit does not deserve the respect due to recive a higher limit. See ,the autobahn is full of well trained ,mostly courteous ,experienced drivers . In the sections with speed limits the general populace obeys . That let the powers that be give the respect due (along with highly engineered roads) of open limits .
If one used that example the limit here would be 80 till folks earn the respect of other road users. Simple in the big picture.:)