PDA

View Full Version : Best Family Vacation

Highlander44
07-13-2014, 07:35 AM
Hey Guys,
Have 2 weeks holidays and still not sure of where to take the family....For those family guys, looking back, where have been the best family vacations???

backpacker
07-13-2014, 07:47 AM
You can't go wrong on Vancouver Island. Lots to check out, kids will love checking out the Pacific ocean for sure. If your wife is into flowers and such, check out the Beuchart Gardens(sp?). Fishing, camping etc anywhere out there is great. The Caribou in central BC is great for gold rush era ghost towns etc. Bowron Lakes is nice as is Barkerville.

mantleman
07-13-2014, 08:00 AM
My family is also about to leave for our vacation... We are spending the next week in Pacific Northwest near Anacortes , then off to Vancouver island to Victoria and Tofino. After that we will spend a few days camping in Campbell River at my parents place. A great way to spend 2 weeks in a tent trailer :shark:

Sushi
07-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Budget? Age of kids? Road trip?

One idea is to drive down to coeur d'alene, Idaho and spend some time at Silverwood. There are other threads on this from years past you may find by searching. It's huckleberry and cherry season....mmmm.

fish gunner
07-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Figi , Istanbul, na trang . Cyprus . Had a great time. seen some of the world and how others lived and the fishing was awesome. Nz is also great but its winter down there now .

Highlander44
07-13-2014, 01:50 PM
Thanks Guys, we have 4 kids with us ranging from 3-10years old, and enjoy places where there is scenic hiking and fishing near us. May check out the caribou suggestion...haven't been there yet.
Mike

Ruger1022
07-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Just asked my kids 3-7yrs , as they have done some travel.

Maui
Tofino
Dinosaur Provincial Park

backpacker
07-13-2014, 05:10 PM
If you do head to Barkerville, be sure to check out the rustic graveyard! Some interesting headstones to read in there,lol.

justletmehunt
07-14-2014, 07:12 AM
I've got 3 suggestions.

1. You could stay home and let your kids camp out in the backyard while you finish loading your buddy's .270 ammo for him.
2. You could camp south of Drayton Valley. While you're there you could hang your buddy's 4 tree stands, check his cameras and finish building his permanent ground blind.
3. You could head to Montana and fish some of the lakes down there but more importantly make sure you bring your buddy back a log of Copenhagen long cut.

densa44
07-14-2014, 07:27 AM
There is a great beach, fishing is pretty good too, and my kids loved "Coyote rafting" down the canal between the 2 lakes.

Have fun.

wildwoods
07-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Shuswap lake. Herald prov. park.

Skybuster
07-14-2014, 11:15 AM
It partially depends on what you and your family enjoy. And what your budget is. The top vacation my 20 year old sons still talk about the most was a ten day trip to Disneyland.

But if you are into camping and a lower budget, it is really hard to beat the Okanagan for clean clear swimming lakes. I prefer Lake Okanagan, but the Shuswap is generally more accessible to the public (for camping). But if you don't have an air conditioned trailer of some type it can get pretty uncomfortable in the OK. 35 to 40 degrees. A houseboat on the Shuswap is something I plan to do one year, but haven't done yet.

Vancouver Island does have lots to offer, Tofino is pretty cool, long expansive beaches, tidal pools, even charter fishing if you like.

greylynx
07-14-2014, 11:33 AM
West Edmonton Mall.

Bring lots of money.

HunterDave
07-14-2014, 12:48 PM
The top vacation my 20 year old sons still talk about the most was a ten day trip to Disneyland.

X2 If you can afford it your kids will never forget the vacation.

Red Bullets
07-14-2014, 01:55 PM
The real young kids won't remember the holiday so make the holiday more for the older kids. The little ones are amused with most anything.

Or you could just take them all out in the bush and turn them loose to explore. Don't even take a tent along. Roughing it.

My kids, nephews and neices have all traveled around lots as kids, but the only trip they ever talk about was when I took them to the bush for 2 nights/3 days with nothing but sleeping bags, water, and few minor things. They don't mention the disneyland or other trips they were on. The kids were between 5 and 10 at the time. 2 girls and 2 boys.

We hiked about a mile into the bush along the North Sask river a few miles upstream of Devon and made shelter and camp near the river. They helped make one big leanto, picked and ate different berries, caught a couple fish, made bows and arrows and forts, splashed around in the river, got firewood, looked for fossils & frogs and pretty much ran around like little Tarzans and Janes. Not once were they bored or did they mention going home.
I did take a nice piece of beef along and had them each cook their own strips of meat on sticks over the coals at night. They all swear it was the best meat they ever tasted. :)

They all are in their 30's now and they have even mentioned that trip in the past year to someone else, who relayed it to me. I'm thinking of taking the 'kids' back out there roughing it again. :) Would be interesting this time.

jackrabbit000
07-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Here's our favorite places:

1. Stockholm and Gothenburg
2. Barbados (Paynes Bay)
3. Los Angeles/Anaheim/San Diego

rwm1273
07-14-2014, 10:48 PM
You can't go wrong on Vancouver Island. Lots to check out, kids will love checking out the Pacific ocean for sure. If your wife is into flowers and such, check out the Beuchart Gardens(sp?). Fishing, camping etc anywhere out there is great. The Caribou in central BC is great for gold rush era ghost towns etc. Bowron Lakes is nice as is Barkerville.

X2 on all this.

WZHunter
07-15-2014, 03:10 PM
I would consider the Mayan Riviera (Cancun Mexico). Hike around the pyramids at Chitzen Itza, tour the ancient Mayan ruins at Tulum, snorkel anywhere, swim with the turtles at Akumal Beach, hire a local to take you fishing, swim all day at your pool, walk the miles of beach, no cooking, no cleaning, margaritas, cervezas. Something for everybody. My 3 year old would have swam in the pool 12hrs a day if we let him. We've also done Disneyland and although he did love it, he always asks to go back to Mexico! Good luck, as long as your somewhere with your family, that's what counts!

Okotokian
07-15-2014, 03:53 PM
I've got 3 suggestions.

1. You could stay home and let your kids camp out in the backyard while you finish loading your buddy's .270 ammo for him.
2. You could camp south of Drayton Valley. While you're there you could hang your buddy's 4 tree stands, check his cameras and finish building his permanent ground blind.
3. You could head to Montana and fish some of the lakes down there but more importantly make sure you bring your buddy back a log of Copenhagen long cut.

Hey Highlander. Is this the guy you were complaining about on that other thread??????

;)

Highlander44
07-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Hey Highlander. Is this the guy you were complaining about on that other thread??????

;)

No its not...but he shoots a 270....so I probably won't pick any chew up for him-lol

calgarychef
07-15-2014, 11:16 PM
We just got back from a week in Montana, it's within a few hours driving. Some good food to be had, reasonably priced motels, great outdoor swimming pools and very scenic. We took a day (should have been a couple) and headed into Yellowstone, did the tourist thing, and swam in the river, there's great fishing charters all over, you can rent cabins. I saw a wolf, dead raccoons, live marmots,eagles etc. Stop at scheels in Great falls for some hunting gear, swim at the water park in great falls. Basically do whatever you want to do.

It cost us just over a grand for 5 nights of hotels, food and gas as well as park entry sewimming etc. Shopping was extra and the beer is cold!

marlin1
07-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Any one else hear of Yellowstone being closed ? I guess things are heating up , literally , could erupt ...

omega50
07-23-2014, 12:15 PM
Torrington

unclebuck
07-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Pierce Lake, Sask. My mid 30 age kids remember their times there. Their kids now get to enjoy & appreciate the area from their experiences!!! Cleanest water that you will find on any lake(dip & drink)with a 1/2 mile long beach at the gov't campground.

Hevishot
07-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Moab!!

MB1
07-24-2014, 10:00 AM
The real young kids won't remember the holiday so make the holiday more for the older kids. The little ones are amused with most anything.

Or you could just take them all out in the bush and turn them loose to explore. Don't even take a tent along. Roughing it.

My kids, nephews and neices have all traveled around lots as kids, but the only trip they ever talk about was when I took them to the bush for 2 nights/3 days with nothing but sleeping bags, water, and few minor things. They don't mention the disneyland or other trips they were on. The kids were between 5 and 10 at the time. 2 girls and 2 boys.

We hiked about a mile into the bush along the North Sask river a few miles upstream of Devon and made shelter and camp near the river. They helped make one big leanto, picked and ate different berries, caught a couple fish, made bows and arrows and forts, splashed around in the river, got firewood, looked for fossils & frogs and pretty much ran around like little Tarzans and Janes. Not once were they bored or did they mention going home.
I did take a nice piece of beef along and had them each cook their own strips of meat on sticks over the coals at night. They all swear it was the best meat they ever tasted. :)

They all are in their 30's now and they have even mentioned that trip in the past year to someone else, who relayed it to me. I'm thinking of taking the 'kids' back out there roughing it again. :) Would be interesting this time.

I like this suggestion the best. What did that trip cost you? $20!:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshou t:

beltburner
07-24-2014, 10:30 PM
Oregon coast.Drive it tip to tail. Amazing trip