PDA

View Full Version : Haskap recipes

aokan99
07-13-2014, 07:58 AM
We have always just made jam with our haskap berries, but we're going to make haskap pie filling as well. I'm curious to know what others have made (ice cream? Juice?). We've netted ours the last few years to keep the cedar waxwings out and we ended up with more yield than we anticipated. 25 pints of jam already, so we're looking for new ideas.

Thanks in advance!

fog
07-13-2014, 10:10 AM
Sadly I dont have enough berries to deal with this year --- had a bumper crop last year. I just freeze them in app. 1 pint bags and then smoosh them up with Evans Cherries, Saskatoons, Raspberries, Apples and Rhubarb to make a "friut stew". A small bowl with my morning breakfast means no need to pop a mulit vitamin.

Redfrog
07-13-2014, 10:37 AM
I guess I really am a frog. :thinking-006:

I can't stand Hascaps or Saskatoons.:scared0018: I like any other berries, but cannot gag down a handful of Saskatoons. My SIL sent some Hascaps from Rainbow lake. Should have been called Has craps.:)

The ironing is that we have at least an acre or more of saskatoons. The neighbours and the birds get them.

I do have a place that has a coupe Evans cherry trees. I picked tons last year, the trees were loaded. I made liquer with them. It was very good. I gave abput five gallons of cherries to a couple neighbours as well.

I also have more choke cherries than the birds can handle.

Blah, blah , blah.

I think the hascaps would be ok subbed for other berries in a pie. Probably mixed with other fruit. I think Fog's idea would be great in a 'crisp', or on ice cream, or maybe even a smoothy for the kids. The rhubarb would have to stay out of the smoothie so it didn't curdle I guess.

It would make good summertime slushes. Better ingredients than a slurpee, and the kids like making them.