PDA

View Full Version : I need an answer

ice
07-13-2014, 10:45 AM
I recently purchased an Atv, my first... I was told even though i registerd and put a plate on the atv, im not not aloud to use it on roads period. I was under the impression i could use my atv on range and township roads but not highways.
Can someone clear this up for me?

Cement Bench
07-13-2014, 10:47 AM
no public roads I think but call the ama or the local registry place, call 2 of them as one may not know always good to recheck govt places as they hire putz for staff

Cement Bench

no ditrches as well depending on the o****y you live in

gunnargsd
07-13-2014, 10:53 AM
According to the Traffic Safety Act range roads and townships roads are considered highways so no you cant legally ride an ATV on those roads. Sorry.

rugatika
07-13-2014, 11:00 AM
Depends on county bylaws....

for example...http://www.lsac.ca/images/stories/37-2008_Off_Highway_Vehicle_Bylaw.pdf

Lac St Anne it's permitted subject to certain laws. Lights, 7am -11pm, provincial hwy's with 2 or 3 digit numbers are excluded etc etc etc....

Each county is different.

Here's Parkland County:

OHV Operator must be at least 16 years of age and hold a valid Class 5 Operator’s License.
Operator and passengers must wear helmets.
The OHV must be insured and registered.
OHVs must travel on the right hand side of the road, with traffic.
Operation of OHVs is permitted between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.
OHVs are prohibited on any land marked with signage, on environmental reserves, and on school property.
OHVs must be equipped with a headlight and taillight and they must be lit at all times.
The OHV must have a license plate that is securely attached and clearly visible.
The OHV may only carry a passenger if it is designed to do so.
The OHV must be equipped with a muffler that has not been modified.
In a subdivision or a hamlet:
OHVs shall use the roadway ONLY to leave from and return to their residence via the most direct route.
The maximum speed while riding on the road surface is 30 km/hr.
Range roads & township roads:
OHVs are allowed on road surfaces and in ditches except along provincial highways or in ditches along provincial highways.
The maximum speed while riding on a road surface is 50 km/hr.
The maximum speed while riding in a ditch is 30 km/hr.

Municipal Bylaws
The Alberta Traffic Safety Act allows
municipalities to enact a bylaw to permit people to operate OHVs on highways and public property as long as the operator follows all of the rules set out in the bylaw and in the Traffic Safety Act.
OHV operators who do not follow municipal regulations are committing an offence and willbe penalized accordingly. Under Parkland County’s bylaw, fines for offenders range from $57 to $500 for a first offence. For a second offence, the fine is doubled, and for a third offence, the fine is tripled.
Parkland County’s bylaw does not apply to
primary and secondary highways, which are under the jurisdiction of the Province of
Alberta. OHVs are not allowed within primary and secondary right-of-ways.
OHV

Here's Strathcona County:

9.6 A Person who is authorized to operate an Off-Highway Vehicle pursuant to the Act or this Bylaw shall:
(a) travel at a maximum speed of thirty (30) kilometres per
Bylaw 13-2011
Page 27 of 50
hour;
(b) travel in a single file in the ditches of such Highways, except as otherwise permitted in this Section;
(c) travel in the Parking Lane for as short a distance as necessary to by-pass any hazard or obstruction in the ditch, or where there is No Parking Lane the extreme right-hand side of the Roadway;
(d) travel in the same direction as the Vehicles travelling on that side of the Highway.
9.7 No Person shall operate or be a passenger on an Off-Highway Vehicle where the Persons on the Off-Highway Vehicle exceeds the number of Persons that the Off-Highway Vehicle is designed to carry.

http://www.strathcona.ca/files/files/at-lls-bylaws-13-2011trafficbylaw.pdf

pickrel pat
07-13-2014, 11:14 AM
depends on the county, good to go in one, no no in another. what county you in?

Matt L.
07-13-2014, 12:00 PM
Of course driving down the ditch you may get a strange look from the guy quadding down the road past you.

Red Bullets
07-13-2014, 04:20 PM
Trade the quad for a horse. Not as many regulations.

VanIsleGuy
07-13-2014, 10:44 PM
Trade the quad for a horse. Not as many regulations.

Might as well walk, right?