PDA

View Full Version : best 60-75hp tiller motor to buy?

npauls
07-13-2014, 06:32 PM
i know there isnt a ton of tiller guys on here but i figure any information is better then none.

i wrecked my 80hp yammi tiller yesterday and am looking to repower with a brand new motor in the 60-75hp range. it needs to have the bigger tiller handle on it.

lets hear what you guys recommend and why. also where to buy one at the best price.

silvercloud
07-13-2014, 08:17 PM
Poor deal Nate. If I was buying a new one right now it'd be an ETEC for weight and bottom-end torque. If I was set on a 4 stroke, I'd buy a Honda just for my experiences with other Honda stuff. The Merc Big Tiller handle is probably the nicest out there, and gives you the option of power steering, but it's not enough to swing me to a black motor. When the time comes to replace my old 90 2 stroke Merc, it'll be one of the two mentioned above.

Jason

npauls
07-13-2014, 08:55 PM
I am not partial to a 2 or 4 stroke.

I like the light weight and torque of a 2 stroke and I don't use my main motor for trolling so that plus of a 4 stroke doesn't really matter.

I have been thinking about an etec but I would need to figure out who sells them that is sort of close to me and if they would take a trade for my 12' lund package that we won at the aya tourney as part of the deal.

I also like the merc. big tiller but having to pay extra for it and all the other companies are offering it as a standard part of their tiller motors makes me kind of sway away from a merc.

I have heard good and bad things about all brands and have owned a mariner, merc. and yamaha. I know people that own etecs, both merc. verados and optimax, yamahas, hondas, and suzukis.

I am fine with any brand as long as I am going to get years of reliability out of it.

I am leaning more towards a 75hp. to stay close to max rating on my boat if possible.

gramps73
07-13-2014, 09:29 PM
What did you do?

npauls
07-13-2014, 09:55 PM
What did you do?

Went down to where you won chin with the family yesterday to try and get kaden into some eyes with jigs. When I went to power up and move the motor had very little power even at full throttle and was making some nasty noises. So I put it back into neutral and it was running fine. I shifted into forward and it was fine at idle. Once I tried to hit the throttle at all it made the same nasty noises and had no power.

So I ended up idling back about half way and then it started making some bad knocking sounds in the block so I shut it down and had to use the bow mount to get back to the launch.

Now I have to decide whether to repower or get a new boat. I would like a new boat but funds are telling me to repower my tiller and use it for at least a few more years.

gramps73
07-13-2014, 09:59 PM
Thats a great looking little tiller, repower is what i would do...

npauls
07-13-2014, 10:10 PM
Thats a great looking little tiller, repower is what i would do...

Do you think Bob could possibly hook me up with a decent deal on a 75hp tiller motor?

silvercloud
07-13-2014, 10:10 PM
The dealer is the kicker-you can find Merc dealers all over, I'm not sure in your corner of the world about Evinrude but if you have to deal with B&L I'd take a pass. 1 experience there was enough for me-if they were the only place for BRP stuff I'd run my Johnson kicker over with my truck and start over. Anything new should be good-comes down to price and service.

Jason

npauls
07-13-2014, 10:15 PM
The only thing we can get down here in Lethbridge is a merc. but I think Casey at river runners in Taber can get merc. and evinrude.

He is back on Tuesday and is getting me some prices but I am going to be shopping around to see what kinds of prices are out there. Hopefully he can get me a really good deal so I can deal locally.

I am alright with having to drive a bit to get a good deal on a new motor if that is what needs to happen.

EZM
07-14-2014, 08:07 AM
Nate,

Riverside Honda up here in Edmonton ( St.Albert ) carries Honda, Yamaha and Evinrudes.

For a 2 stroke - I'd go with a Evinrude for your application ( considering you are not trolling on the main motor) power to weight ratio is best in class.

For a 4 stroke - you can't beat the bullet proof Honda ...... Yamaha would be my second choice and they make a great motor as well.

If you PM me - I can get you details on who to speak with up there - a few of us got outstanding deals from Riverside and their service is absolutely fantastic.

67ZL1
07-14-2014, 04:37 PM
I would give Tracker a call in Airdrie. When I was shopping for a kicker they were 1800.00 cheaper than the local guys.

Bushleague
07-14-2014, 06:15 PM
Almost everywhere that I've been where boats are used for work or transportation, where they aren't just toys anymore, Yamaha seems to be the most popular outboard by a huge margin. If I was to purchase a new outboard it would be a Yamaha, based on this observation and the fact that anything I have ever owned that was made by Yamaha had among the best fit and finish I've seen.

npauls
07-14-2014, 07:15 PM
i am just waiting for casey at river runners to get back to me but so far the best deals i have found are a 75 merc 4 stroke with big tiller for $9500 @ bass pro. a 60hp merc 4 stroke for $9300 @ new way motorsports here in lethbridge.

once i hear what kind of deal casey can give me i will decide where i should go. i also have to check with the bank about financing the motor.

i am not sure if i should go with the 60hp or 75hp. i dont know how much of a difference 15hp will really make. wait times for the 2 motors mentioned are quite far apart. the 60 hp would be here way faster and no traveling to get it

67ZL1
07-14-2014, 08:09 PM
Depending on how long of a wait, but I would go with the 75. It's the same engine as the 90 and 115. Save up this winter and make a call to Simons for an ECM upgrade. Just my 2 cents.

67ZL1
07-14-2014, 08:16 PM
One other place I would check is Moose Jaw RV and Marine. Doug is your contact there. I've done a decent amount of business with him and I'm sure he'll come close to BPS pricing. I bought my rig from them and saved a ton of $$$.

lannie
07-14-2014, 09:51 PM
Have you checked in Great Falls just to see what the difference in price is?
I would do it just to satisfy my curiosity.

npauls
07-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Have you checked in Great Falls just to see what the difference in price is?
I would do it just to satisfy my curiosity.

the problem with buying in the states is that i dont yave warranty up here. if i want warranty i would have to take it down there every time i need work done

wellpastcold
07-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Nate, I think it would be worth a phone call to Thane at Free Spirit Marine in Edmonton. He has Evinrude, Mercury, Tohatsu and Nissan. He usually can beat anybody's price. Good luck.

Dirt2oil
07-15-2014, 07:23 AM
This is an easy one HONDA!!! My honda outboard is un real first pull every time runs like a top. Every guy runs a merc for the same reason as people buy dodges they are CHEAP. I was always taught that a cheap man pays more in the end. Spend the $ now and it will last forever.

npauls
07-15-2014, 01:39 PM
well i talked to thane at free spirit marine at lunch and unless someone offers me a better deal i will be going with a 90hp etec or maybe a whole new boat. he made me offers i almost cant refuse. i guess we will see in the next few days what happens after i talk to the boss at home and see what she thinks. she really wants a windshield boat so i may end up getting a crestliner raptor or something like that.