PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable boats and trolling motors

rayf01
07-14-2014, 08:11 AM
I think I've decided on a new SeaMax, either a hd330 10.8ft or the hd360 11.8 ft. I'll be using it for small get outs on the lake with my wife and I along with our two young kids ( 1 & 3), or just two adults.

Couple questions, would a 55lb thrust electric motor be enough to get around ok on some lakes and how long do they typically last?

I've also read that a 55 on won't move you any faster than a 30lb? So what's the point of a bigger motor?

EZM
07-14-2014, 08:46 AM
A 55lb thrust motor will provide more thrust than a 30 lb thrust model .... plain and simple, so, theoretically, it should move you along faster.

Having said that, a inflatable is like a riding a bike with parachute .... they don't "cut through" the water so more thrust is better.

I would suggest going to as high a thrust as you can - simply stated, the motors themselves don't weigh that much and you are bringing a battery on board anyway - so why not have more power at your disposal.

Another option is to run a small gas or propane outboard - they are great choices as well and will move the boat along at a higher rate of speed and still be used for trolling.

Ulodhi
07-14-2014, 02:48 PM
I think I've decided on a new SeaMax, either a hd330 10.8ft or the hd360 11.8 ft. I'll be using it for small get outs on the lake with my wife and I along with our two young kids ( 1 & 3), or just two adults.

Couple questions, would a 55lb thrust electric motor be enough to get around ok on some lakes and how long do they typically last?

I've also read that a 55 on won't move you any faster than a 30lb? So what's the point of a bigger motor?

I am using Intex Seahawk 4 made custom Wood floor with outdoor carpet and made couple of more mods in it and using Minkota 30 LBs works fine for me yes but more thrust is always fun and speed. its for four people but I say two are best for fishing I fish while I am standing and its pretty stable.