PDA

View Full Version : Okanogan Lake

crazyperch
07-15-2014, 07:48 AM
Hey All,

I'm Heading to Summerland the first week of August and i think i will try and get a line wet in the Okanogan for the first time.
i will be fishing off a buddies dock, even tho im sure most of the fish will be in the deep water where its a bit cooler. but i thought it would still be worth a try in the mornings/evenings.
I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what to use and what i should expect, if anything.

Thanks

Red Bullets
07-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Years ago I was fishing from shore on the okanagan lake near Kelowna and caught quite a few nice trout using a good old No.0 len thompson red devil spoon.

I would suggest you drive an hour south to Vaseaux Lake south of Penticton. Large and smallmouth bass easy to fish from shore.
Or drive to Postill Lake between Kelowna and Vernon and rent a boat for 50 bucks for the day. Postill has a good website too.

ineptflux
07-15-2014, 04:11 PM
Yeah Vaseaux or even Lake Osoyoos - just got back from that area, fished Lake Osoyoos and had a blast catching smallies, perch and beautiful rainbow trout.

The Reel Deal
07-15-2014, 05:05 PM
You'll catch lots of stinky NPM's off the dock. They hit anything and keep the kids entertained. You'll find lots of suckers too. Odd rainbow. Try a Williams gold and silver ice jigging spoon - straight retrieve or jigged for the rainbows. Pinch your barbs!

Ironsteel
07-15-2014, 07:34 PM
Make the 90 min drive to monte lake and slay some big Kokanee.

crazyperch
07-16-2014, 07:17 AM
Thanks for all the replies everyone.
i dont think i will be making it to any other lake this trip. but by the sounds of it, the next time im out that way i will have to explore more.

crazyperch
07-16-2014, 07:18 AM
You'll catch lots of stinky NPM's off the dock. They hit anything and keep the kids entertained. You'll find lots of suckers too. Odd rainbow. Try a Williams gold and silver ice jigging spoon - straight retrieve or jigged for the rainbows. Pinch your barbs!

This might be a stupid question, but whats NPMs?

HookedOnKokanee
07-16-2014, 07:26 AM
northern pike minnow

jacenbeers
07-16-2014, 08:15 AM
This might be a stupid question, but whats NPMs?

Northern pike minnows are also known by many as squawfish. They are all over the place in BC and fairly simple to catch.

crazyperch
07-16-2014, 08:19 AM
Thanks guys.

I picked up some spinners last night, so hopefully i can get into a couple fish out there

EZM
07-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Thanks guys.

I picked up some spinners last night, so hopefully i can get into a couple fish out there

a breadball on a hook (or powerbait) on a simple hook will keep you busy with Pike Minnows - My daughter caught a huge one off the dock ..... probably over 4lbs ...... they will keep you entertained.

crazyperch
07-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Thanks EZM, im sure i will be doing this as well.
ist a lot more easy to drink a "pop" while bait fishing :sHa_shakeshout:

guy 123
07-17-2014, 02:58 PM
I just got back .I spend 1 week at west bay beach resort and the fishing this year is not very good but I did catch fish every day small rainbow and kokanee salmon and what work best for me small wallow leaf with a dick night pink and silver and pink kokanee killer on the top during the day in the deep water.GOOD LUCK