PDA

View Full Version : Spinning Rods

justletmehunt
07-15-2014, 01:12 PM
I'd like some opinions. My niece just broke the tip off my rod last weekend and so I need to buy a new one. I normally fly fish and haven't bought a spinning rod in over 25 years and don't have a clue what to look at. The only time I spin fish is on the weekends at Pigeon Lake (pike and walleye) and I'm looking to spend around a hundred bucks. It will need to work with an open face reel. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Geezle
07-15-2014, 01:42 PM
The Shimano Clarus and Compre rods are right in that price range and would be good choices with their lifetime warranty :)

RigPig
07-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Check out TFO rods at wholesale I believe there are on sale now. My favorite rod. Warranty outta Calgary.

The Reel Deal
07-15-2014, 05:07 PM
You can easily repair the tip too

justletmehunt
07-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Check out TFO rods at wholesale I believe there are on sale now. My favorite rod. Warranty outta Calgary.

TFO makes spinning rods? I have 3 of their fly rods and I have to agree with you - they make a fantastic product. I'll be looking at them for sure. Thanks.

azn_rice_man
07-15-2014, 10:12 PM
You should also look at the Fenwicks selection as well. There are a few different ones within you range by them.

crf250xtom
07-15-2014, 10:31 PM
The Shimano Clarus and Compre rods are right in that price range and would be good choices with their lifetime warranty :)

Shimano no longer has a limited lifetime also no more over the counter replacement. If you bought the rods before this change they will honour it if you have your receipt to prove it.

Sucks but more companies are becoming very particular with receipts.

Geezle
07-16-2014, 08:13 AM
Shimano no longer has a limited lifetime also no more over the counter replacement. If you bought the rods before this change they will honour it if you have your receipt to prove it.

Sucks but more companies are becoming very particular with receipts.

That's unfortunate. :o

Looking at the site the Clarus definitely doesn't have the lifetime warranty anymore, but at a glance it appears as thought the Compre still does.

Dan Foss
07-16-2014, 08:42 AM
The new Fenwick HMG is a phenomenal Rod in your price range. The blanks are high quality, durable, sensitive but have a high back bone to give lots of power when needed. would not be disappointed

Walleyedude
07-16-2014, 10:48 AM
That's unfortunate. :o

Looking at the site the Clarus definitely doesn't have the lifetime warranty anymore, but at a glance it appears as thought the Compre still does.

Yeah, it is unfortunate.

The Clarus rods now have a one year warranty.

The Compre rods are still backed by the lifetime over the counter warranty.

Both are great rods for the price and worth a look.

NSRfishing
07-16-2014, 10:55 AM
TFO makes spinning rods? I have 3 of their fly rods and I have to agree with you - they make a fantastic product. I'll be looking at them for sure. Thanks.
http://www.tforods.com/conventional-rods/gary-loomis-signature-series/signature-rods.html

yes decent rods if you break tip just send back to calgary for 25 dollar replacement

buckmasterjr
07-16-2014, 11:55 AM
The new Fenwick HMG is a phenomenal Rod in your price range. The blanks are high quality, durable, sensitive but have a high back bone to give lots of power when needed. would not be disappointed

x2 very good rod

Sushi
07-16-2014, 12:36 PM
You can easily repair the tip too

I could use some tips on tip repair if you please.

Geezle
07-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Yeah, it is unfortunate.

Definitely nice rods...I have two Clarus roofs and a Compre.

Given they're both right around the same price point I'd go with the Compre just because the warranty.

Battery
07-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Do yourself a favor and get an ultra light action rod, fun as hell!

EZM
07-16-2014, 04:01 PM
I think you have it covered ..........

Id say the Compre is the best rod for that price point. The Fenwick does seem like a great rod too, I've looked at them, a co-worker has one and loves it, but have not used one ...... so Shimano Compre it is ........

.........20-30 bucks more will get you a St.Croix....... just a thought.

jackrabbit000
07-16-2014, 10:26 PM
I could use some tips on tip repair if you please.

Not much to it. Just buy a repair kit from The Fishin Hole, WSS, Cabelas etc. Helps if you know what size the broken end of the rod is so you can buy the right size tip for it.

slamilton
07-17-2014, 06:36 AM
I had one repaired at Fish Tales for only a few dollars. Was a Fly Rod though but I doubt that makes any difference.

crf250xtom
07-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Yeah, it is unfortunate.

Key word limited. The stores don't over counter any rods you have to send them to shimano that's where the over the counter part is recognized it's very poorly worded but that's what it works out too.

Also you HAVE to have your RECEIPT or the stores won't even send it and it costs 20 too send it the warranty is VERY misleading gentlemen.

RigPig
07-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Gotta give a shout out to the fishing hole for warranty they gave me an off the shelf replacement last year when I broke the tip off a Q smoke rod. I was heading to Onterrible on a fishing trip and did not have time to wait on shipping. First class service.:) Keep that in mind when you are shopping around.