PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the Mayan Riviera

Okotokian
11-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Going to the Mayan this christmas. Been there a number of times before but never done any fishing. Wondering about taking some fishing gear. Now I'm not interested in going on a guided deep sea fishing adventure or anything like that (spending the whole day and hundreds of dollars), just wondering if anyone has ever taken a rod and done any solo fishing on the beach or nearby lagoons, streams, etc. I have a 5 weight flyrod and a regular everyday spinning rod. Pointless to take them, or...?

oooooh, just hit me... any bird hunting opportunities there???? :)

The Ice Man
11-10-2008, 08:38 PM
I was there 2 months ago, landed a 8'3" sailfish on a chartered trip, but you are not interested in that.

I talked to two guys who brought their rods down, they had collapsable rods with 20 lb+ test, on a pretty meety offshore rod. Mainly they were catching 10" - 24" junk fish, the same that the pelicans eat as they pile thru the waves. Those guys just waded waste deep and casted to where the waves crashed. One guy shoued me nickle sized holes in teh sand that you can dig up small crabs and shrimp, they got a fish every cast on the dug crab and shrimp. Nothing else seemed to work too well.

Kingfisher
11-11-2008, 11:04 PM
I have fly fished down there for bone fish and done really well. I even got a baracuda on a fly. I was just across the straight at Cozumel. If your interested I can get you the name and phone number of the guide. I have a buddy who was over in the Mayan Riveria last winter and got a guide over there. He said he went fishing with his son and they had a great day.

As far as bringing your rod down there I wouldn't bring anything less than an 8wt as far as a fly rod. I have a 4 piece, 9'6" 8wt that I built specifically for bone fish. If your bringin a spinning rod then I'd go for something like a good steelhead rod and either a heavy spinning reel or a good Abu bait caster.

Rob

wake
11-17-2008, 12:24 AM
Take my rod everytime I go and the fishing from shore (wading) can be very good once you get the idea.

You can catch everything from asst'd snappers like the Yellowtail snapper that is highly esteemed for its fillets,Jack Crevalle's,Groupers,Permit,Small Tarpon or big if you fish the night surf,Barracudas and Snook to name a few.

There are no ''junk'' fish per say, just fish we dont recognize...

You can pick up shrimp if your bait fishing at the super-chomak in Akumal...

ENJOY!!!!

elkhunter1234
11-17-2008, 08:28 PM
oooooh, just hit me... any bird hunting opportunities there????

I here they have some huge snow gesse down there... just kidding

wake
11-18-2008, 05:12 PM
If you want to hunt you sure can!!!

Check the link.

http://www.detailcompany.com/rio_grande.html