PDA

View Full Version : clearwater rive around caroline

craig82
07-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with white fish in the river. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks Craig

Rikkles Fisher
07-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Yes every year, wait a month or two and they really start coming in in numbers, it's good times!

craig82
07-16-2014, 08:40 PM
Good to hear! I have never fished for them before. My wife says they are really good to eat. Do you have any tips? Like time of day do they like pools or end of rapids? Do you think spoons and spinners would work? Like I said I don't know much about this fish so any help would be useful.
Thanks

mattoon90
07-16-2014, 08:43 PM
I would check the regs I might be mistaken but I do believe starting september first you can use maggots for the white fish run in the clear water river. I have also had luck using a white scud wet fly during the white fish run.

Rikkles Fisher
07-16-2014, 09:03 PM
Craig take a size 4 or 6 panther Martin with some 8 lb trilene, get it fluttering and spinning nicely in a slow pool off the side of faster moving water, cast downstream and hold your spinner there and retrieve slowly, or cast upstream and retrieve quickly, if your rod is decent enough you will feel if it's spinning or not if it's not spinning good that way then either your line is wrapped on your spinner or your not reeling fast enough. Gold or silver spinners work well and a good place to try is upstream from the Clearwater Trading store, like I said they come in bigger numbers in a month or two, hope this helps and good luck to you I look forward to hearing your results!

craig82
07-17-2014, 09:09 AM
Hey thanks again! Im going to see if I can sneak out after dinner for a bit if its not raining. Ill let you know if I have any luck.