PDA

View Full Version : Leeches

fisherkid
07-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Hey all, I was just wondering if there is any kind of a market in the sale of leeches and if there would be anyone on here that would be interested in buying leeches if I was to sell some. I was also trying to find something on the regulations of selling bait in alberta. By the way im in the Calgary area.

thanks so much for your responses.

spinN'flyfish
07-16-2014, 06:04 PM
nevermind i understand now you are not trying to buy bait

npauls
07-16-2014, 06:25 PM
Depends how early in the year you could get them and what kind of size and quality you could get I may be interested.

pikeslayer22
07-16-2014, 06:40 PM
Depends how early in the year you could get them and what kind of size and quality you could get I may be interested.
Same also would need your asking price

dryrush
07-16-2014, 08:04 PM
Same also would need your asking price

X2

EZM
07-16-2014, 08:12 PM
Pretty easy to trap some if you wanted to ....

Make a accordion (map fold) out of some tin. Drop some strips of fresh liver in each fold and place a couple elastic bands on the edges. Drop it in a slew or along a stagnant weed line ( add a line and float so you can re-locate the trap) and you should have a mess of them overnight .....

Free leeches.

Liver must be fresh and bloody. If there are leeches nearby .... they will come.

npauls
07-16-2014, 08:20 PM
Pretty easy to trap some if you wanted to ....

Make a accordion (map fold) out of some tin. Drop some strips of fresh liver in each fold and place a couple elastic bands on the edges. Drop it in a slew or along a stagnant weed line ( add a line and float so you can re-locate the trap) and you should have a mess of them overnight .....

Free leeches.

Liver must be fresh and bloody. If there are leeches nearby .... they will come.

The problem with trapping them down here is getting anything of decent size. I can catch thousands of little ones and have tried many different bodies of water and slews.

For the amount of time and gas money and cost of bloody bait it is just easier to order a couple pounds real early in the year and keep swapping the water out and picking any dead ones out and have quality leeches well into the fall.

Red Bullets
07-16-2014, 09:40 PM
The problem with trapping them down here is getting anything of decent size. I can catch thousands of little ones and have tried many different bodies of water and slews.

For the amount of time and gas money and cost of bloody bait it is just easier to order a couple pounds real early in the year and keep swapping the water out and picking any dead ones out and have quality leeches well into the fall.

Feed them. They will grow.

EZM
07-16-2014, 09:56 PM
Feed them. They will grow.

I'm certain if you added some blood meal to the tanks, the leeches can grow quite rapidly, but yeah, change the water every day or two and would be a pain if you are not near a good source.

For me, who rarely uses leeches it doesn't make sense, but I'm sure it does if you are spending hundreds of dollars a year on bait.

npauls
07-16-2014, 10:03 PM
If you were to feed them you would need to change the water daily or make some sort of chilled and filtered tank for them to live in.

It doesn't take much to have a major die off of leeches.

Leeches are a serious go to bait when the walleye bite isn't great.