PDA

View Full Version : Smoked fish

1quietbear*
07-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Looking for a good smoked fish recipe

Shmag
07-18-2014, 07:55 PM
Work the search function....tons of smoked fish recipe's on here. I know I posted mine that a few guys really liked...Believe it was on a "Smoking Whitefish" thread...if you can't find it I will repost mine...and I use mine for all different species of fish....You will find wet and dry brine recipe's...

Shmag
07-18-2014, 08:01 PM
I just bumped that thread up to the first page...so if you are on the forum in the next 24 hrs it should still be within the first couple pages....as mentioned the search function will show up lots of results

Taco
07-18-2014, 08:18 PM
I tried smokin' the things but I couldn't keep'em lit.

Red Bullets
07-18-2014, 08:44 PM
Two of the best woods to smoke whitefish is red willow or diamond willow.

Dry brine... you may still have some liquid develop while curing in the fridge.
Drain off and put your fish on racks for an hour before smoking to dry off and create a pellicle. Then smoke.

norwestalta
07-18-2014, 09:12 PM
I can't remember for sure but this is what my wife uses.
2 cups of coarse salt
1 cup demetra brown sugar
mix salt and sugar together and spread over fish, then fill with water so fish is just covered. let sit for 24 hrs, when done pat dry fish and smoke.
I thought I'd make it better one day with montreal steak spice (was not a good idea). I'm not allowed to smoke fish anymore after that.

bammer1
07-18-2014, 09:56 PM
My 2 cents on smoking salmonids

kosher salt, brown sugar, maple syrup if you want, and water. throw in some dry spices too, garlic powder, 5 spice, a few dash s of nutmeg even a bay leaf.... the possibilities are endless... as for the quantities of each you'll have to search that or experiment some, but 2 cup salt to 1 cup sugar per gallon water rings a bell, again keep experimenting with brine times... it is easy to get carried away with too much salt and too much smoke... with my little chief one pan of chips was all you needed for a batch of fish (i used to do rockies, rainbows, and kokes). consider doin the fish whole and processing them afterwards(especially if they are small), you can salvage all meat off a fish easily once smoked. air or pat dry prior to smoking. it doesnt need to be billowing smoke all the time. let it go till your preferred level of dryness is achieved. I liked it pretty dry.

bammer1
07-18-2014, 09:57 PM
alder for chips