PDA

View Full Version : 12 gauge question

BigRackLover
11-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Do you need a 'special' 12 gauge to shoot slugs. I have a browning 12 gauge short barrel that I have used for game birds but was thinking about trying out slugs for coyotes and perhaps deer. Was just going to use open bead sights.

Am I out to lunch, if so educated me please.

What type of range should I expect?

What type of slug should I use?

ABDUKNUT
11-10-2008, 10:19 PM
No, you don't need any sort of 'special' gun. That's the beauty of the 12 gauge shotgun- very versatile and no special gimmicks needed for everything from quail to moose.

As far as range... Using the bead sights, I'm afraid your range will be severely limited. Shooting a slug out of a smooth bore barrel with just a bead sight is a crap shoot at best. Only way to know for sure is to try it out for yourself.

The lead, hollow point, 'rifled' slugs are the ones most suited to your gun.

bunnyhunter
11-10-2008, 10:27 PM
I've tried it, smoothbore and slugs, you have a range of 40 yards, maybe 50, tops...I bought a rifled barrel and shoot sabots out of my 12 gauge now, good to 100 yards!

sprcub
11-11-2008, 06:39 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you need a 'special' 12 gauge to shoot slugs. I have a browning 12 gauge short barrel that I have used for game birds but was thinking about trying out slugs for coyotes and perhaps deer. Was just going to use open bead sights.

Am I out to lunch, if so educated me please.

the bead sights will suit you well better than any other at close range browning slug barrels have the best sights but the bead is best for a close running deer even if he is out 60 -70 yards i like a bead ----for a standing shot your better off with sights but i sure wouldnt stay home because i didnt have sights that bead will do just fine
What type of range should I expect? ----i disagree with they 40-50 yard statement i would say max is 85-90 yds anything farther is getting iffy ,if hes standing youll get him at 100 or more butttttttt
i shoot my rifled barrel w/sabots at 125 at the range it groups 4-5 inches at that range ive shot it at 150 if i had a deer standing at 150 i would take him

What type of slug should I use? ---winchester 2-3/4 inch 1 oz rifled slugs very cheap and never a complaint shoot as good or better then anything in a smooth bore excellant knock down on deer out to 75 yards i guarenty if that deer is 50 yards and you could shoot him with a sabot compared to a regular slug the regular slug will flatten him and he will run away with the sabot!!! i have shot 5 deer with in 50 yards in the last 5 years with sabots and they all ran , they died but all ran they wont do that with a reg slug it will violenty knock him off his feet at this range