PDA

View Full Version : birthday fishing monday evening. thoughts?

mrmoose
07-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Hello, I am planning to go fishing on my birthday monday with a friend who is open water challenged and am looking for a place either in edmonton or nearby that should give us a strong likelihood of getting his first hook up as wel as netting me a nice birthday catch or two. We would be shore fishing and are open to any type of fish. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed.

Rennich98
07-19-2014, 02:10 PM
NSR is probably your best bet in edm...I would hit hermitage...just use pickerel rigs with a worm on the bottom and a minnow on the top...or cast spoons at the edge of currents for pike...or if you're looking at a lake I've had great luck at the Alberta beach boat launch at lac ste Anne...I usually use pickerel rigs with minnows or bright buck tails...at ste Anne most of my walleye I catch hiding right in the grooves of the boat launch so they're super close...anything else just pm me

mrmoose
07-19-2014, 02:53 PM
We tried hermitage trout pond last sunday and got skunked. Decided not to bushwack our way to the river. How does one access the outfalls there the easiest way? Is there a path further away from the trout pond? The other places on nsr that i have had success are near the whitemud bridge and out by devon. Always looking for other suggestions as i am no expert by any means.

Red Bullets
07-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Dawson park. On the north side of the river.
Walk north along river from the parking lot. before you get to the spillway and the curve there is a beaver house in the bank. This area can be pretty good. A few people fish there but not as many as Hermitage. Don't fish the spillway area because there are too mant snags.

drhu22
07-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Hello, I am planning to go fishing on my birthday monday with a friend who is open water challenged and am looking for a place either in edmonton or nearby that should give us a strong likelihood of getting his first hook up as wel as netting me a nice birthday catch or two. We would be shore fishing and are open to any type of fish. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed.

Trolling spoons and jigs was usually a sure thing for pike at wabamun. I remember seeing whitefish rise in the evening so you might want to bring a fly rod if you're into that.

mrmoose
07-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Today is the day and I haven't made a decision yet. Leaning towards nsr for sake of driving time.

Rennich98
07-21-2014, 12:11 PM
If you're thinking about Devon then I've had better lucky on the Devon side of the bridge and about 400 yards down to where the picnic tables are...the picnic table closest to the bridge is where I've done well for walleye, goldeye, suckers, and the odd pike...also caught 2 sturgeon there in a span of 3 days so they're definitely there

mrmoose
07-22-2014, 03:07 PM
Tried hitting your area at Devon but struck out. No hook ups to be had. Still a nice night to be out though.

Rennich98
07-22-2014, 07:36 PM
What were you using

mrmoose
07-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Started out with a pickeral rig with worms, switched to a spinner, then a spoon and back to a rig and worms again. Just no luck.