PDA

View Full Version : Cold Lake yesterday, Sat, July 19

Pinhead
07-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Just wondering how others did yesterday on Cold Lake in the wind? We were the boat with three of us and a 50 hp tiller. We boated 5 fish and lost way to many more. The wind made everything very difficult. This was my first time on Cold Lake and would like to know how the guys that know the lake did. We caught all our landed fish jigging. Did some down rigging with my lake trollers but the wind made all that difficult. I also was only able to go down around 60 ft, I think we would have done better deeper.

Biggest was 70 cm, here was one of the mid size ones.

[URL=http://s125.photobucket.com/user/Pinhead338/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-04/B4C72733-C1CE-42E2-86DC-6624AC4C4891.jpg.html][IMG]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p70/Pinhead338/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-04/B4C72733-C1CE-42E2-86DC-6624AC4C4891.jpg

Speckle55
07-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Grats looks like a great day and fun:sHa_shakeshout:

Thanks for sharing

David:)

mxer117
07-21-2014, 11:47 AM
Nice fish, looks fun. :)

Just a quick question - are Nissan boat motors common? I don't know that Ive ever seen one before.......

spinN'flyfish
07-21-2014, 11:54 AM
Nice laker you got there :)

NEWB
07-21-2014, 12:16 PM
I was out on the water about 7:30 am with my daughter yesterday.

The provincial park was pretty calm. When we were just outside the provincial park bay the wind picked up. We made it to about 1/2 way to a spot recommended to us before I decided to turn back. We were tossed around and was feeling like I was in the Poseidon. The whitecaps and wind were too much for my 14 foot extra wide aluminum with the 20 hp on the back and my navigating skills. I have navigated through very rough water before but this was a whole new animal.

Instead we trolled along the Provincial Park bay for a few hours. I caught a lure which was odd. This is the second time I caught a lure and leader this month. I caught one at Wab last weekend.

After no action I decided to fire up the motor and rip around the bay for about an hour or while and burn some fuel. I will need a larger boat when I am out there again.

Here was my catch of the day at cold lake

58thecat
07-21-2014, 12:51 PM
Was out yesterday 10 am to 2 pm or until that freakin thunderstorm showed up. Simply awesome as we managed 8 lakers total and on the last tight lines we ended up with a double header both 10-15 lbs range and 76/78 cm's so it was a blast. Fun ride in, got a little wet but it's all part of the fun fishing the big lake.

Used pink lady's, willow leafs and hot spots white and pink/yellow, 30 to 50 feet we targeted them trolling in a depth of 100' to 60'. Believe it or not the rode in the 30 feet of water was more productive.

CBintheNorth
07-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Was out Friday and Saturday. Fished 6 hrs each day and managed 9 on Friday and 5 Saturday which wasn't bad considering the water conditions and missed hook-ups. Biggest was 70.

CAUTION to anyone heading out there in the coming days. The high water levels and rain have brought in more dead-heads than I have seen in 10yrs on the lake. Actually hit one in the rough stuff (first one ever) that left a pretty good reminder. Keep your eyes in front of you!

Pinhead
07-21-2014, 01:42 PM
Nice fish, looks fun. :)

Just a quick question - are Nissan boat motors common? I don't know that Ive ever seen one before.......

I don't know how common they are now, but Free Spirit used to sell them years ago. I have nothing but good things to say about this 50 hp tiller. I have never had a problem with it at all.

Pinhead
07-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the answers guys, looks like we did all right then. I still think we could have done better down rigging/trolling but in our boat with the wind it was tough, I had two friends who had never downrigged before and with the waves it made for a trying first day for them, although they tried. As everyone has stated the water conditions were hard, in fact one guy in my boat was seasick.

Fortunately I never saw any deadheads, I hit one years ago with my boat in very rough water on Slave Lake during a tournament at Spruce Point and wrote the boat off, was lucky to get to shore.

Dan

FishAb
07-21-2014, 11:10 PM
Nice fish !!!