PDA

View Full Version : Towing a boat trailer registered to someone else..

Greg1971
07-21-2014, 04:20 PM
Hello all,

I have my father-in-law's boat which he has sold to me. We haven't completed an official bill of sale yet since he is out of town. I would like to take the boat out and am wondering I there is any issue with towing a trailer that is in someone else's name. (It is registered with plates). I will have the bill of sale by next weekend at which point I'll transfer the registration but wanted to get it out this week.

Thanks for any input!

Greg

jusfloatin
07-21-2014, 04:27 PM
I doubt you will have any problems, if you are stopped you can always say your father-in-law lent it to you.

Ebrand
07-21-2014, 04:29 PM
Borrow his boat and trailer now.

Buy it when he gets home.

Geezle
07-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Make sure you have the registration with you and you'll be fine :)

Graffy91
07-21-2014, 09:59 PM
Hello all,

I have my father-in-law's boat which he has sold to me. We haven't completed an official bill of sale yet since he is out of town. I would like to take the boat out and am wondering I there is any issue with towing a trailer that is in someone else's name. (It is registered with plates). I will have the bill of sale by next weekend at which point I'll transfer the registration but wanted to get it out this week.

Thanks for any input!

Greg

Just carry a copy of registration like Geezle said and you'll be fine.

I tow my dads boat all the time, and CO's have asked who's boat it is and to see the registration along with boating license, which all checks out. I've had no problems ever. :)

pdfish
07-21-2014, 09:59 PM
Make sure you have the registration with you and you'll be fine :)

Yup. Just don't do what my buddy did and rip thru a school zone going 55 in a 30. Got a nice pic of the boat in the mail. Thankfully, I could just barely make out his truck towing it. :sHa_shakeshout:

Greg1971
07-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the input everyone!

Kokanee9
07-23-2014, 11:07 PM
If you can produce registration and say it is borrowed, I can't see a problem.

I would assume that they would at least run the license plate or registration # to see if it has been reported stolen. If everything checks out, you should be good to go.

Lund rebel
07-24-2014, 06:27 AM
I would be more concerned about the actual boat registration make sure you have a copy of it if its a larger boat.

Mike_W
07-24-2014, 07:01 AM
Just carry a copy of registration like Geezle said and you'll be fine.

I tow my dads boat all the time, and CO's have asked who's boat it is and to see the registration along with boating license, which all checks out. I've had no problems ever. :)

Wow that is the first time I have heard of someone being asked for there boating license !

To the OP we are talking two different registrations here you have a boat registration for on the water identification which you are suppose to have on the front half of your boat on both the stern and port.
Then there is the trailer registration for hiway traffic this is what the plate is for.
To be honest I have never been asked for either and it would take me awhile to find the actual paper copy!
Either way until you have a bill of sale just tell anyone asking that you borrowed it.

Dacotensis
07-24-2014, 09:54 AM
I would also have a difficult time finding my trailer registration.
It's only been since 1997 that I originally registered it.

In my experience trailer reg is rarely checked.
I have a trailer hooked up almost daily.
One of 4-6 at any time.
I can think of two occasions ever.
Both times in Sherwood Forest.

That said. I do have my papers, other than for the boat trailer...