PDA

View Full Version : Slave Lake

Morph1
07-22-2014, 01:37 PM
Can anyone recommend a campsite at Slave Lake that would have sites right on the water so you can have your boat right on shore.. We have been going to Spruce Point which is great except when it gets windy that side of the lake gets quite crazy with waves taller than a man and swallows 12 aluminum boats like candies...
I heard some good things about Hilliards Bay campsite and Shaws Point,
I was told even when it gets super windy you can still go fishing as the wind most of the time comes north west....
Wondering if these 2 campsites have sites on the water...

Any info would be appreciated.

thanks !

outdoors forever
07-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Hilliards Bay does not have lake front sites, but really close. Its no more than a three minute walk down the hill from the campground to the lake. And if you can get a site in C Loop, theres a dock right on the shore below the loop, in a nice little cove with a rock beach where you can keep a boat. Its quite sheltered from the wind, and like I said, no more than a three minute walk through the trees.

Shaws Point does have beach front sites I believe, but like Spruce Point, they are directly facing the lake, but to the east, so when you get that wind coming from the east, there is no protection from it.

cube
07-22-2014, 03:55 PM
Can anyone recommend a campsite at Slave Lake that would have sites right on the water so you can have your boat right on shore.. We have been going to Spruce Point which is great except when it gets windy that side of the lake gets quite crazy with waves taller than a man and swallows 12 aluminum boats like candies...
I heard some good things about Hilliards Bay campsite and Shaws Point,
I was told even when it gets super windy you can still go fishing as the wind most of the time comes north west....
Wondering if these 2 campsites have sites on the water...

Any info would be appreciated.

thanks !

Was just at Spruce Point and Hilliards Bay. Last Thursday you could have surfed at Hilliards with waves breaking over the piers etc. I was totally shocked by it. Sound like the surf on long beach. So I would be careful about leaving it out over night there. Spruce point has a very nice Marina where you can leave your boat in the water (but you probably already know that). Not sure what the 2 marina's are like at Shaws point.

Morph1
07-22-2014, 09:13 PM
thanks guys,

I think I will stick with Spruce Point , nice sandy beach , boat right on shore within 30 ft from the campsite..., I'm just a bit worried about the wind, last thing I wanna do is go there sit on the beach and watch white caps instead of fishing lol
I've been lucky there so far...

thanks again !

liar
07-22-2014, 09:41 PM
just spent five days at big fish bay right in town . camped right on the lake . put the boat in at the gov launch on the river and kept it on the beach the whole time we were there . i would go back .

Mike_W
07-23-2014, 12:15 PM
thanks guys,

I think I will stick with Spruce Point , nice sandy beach , boat right on shore within 30 ft from the campsite..., I'm just a bit worried about the wind, last thing I wanna do is go there sit on the beach and watch white caps instead of fishing lol
I've been lucky there so far...

thanks again !

If the weather comes up pull out and head over to Faust usually pretty protected in the bay.

cube
07-23-2014, 01:27 PM
If the weather comes up pull out and head over to Faust usually pretty protected in the bay.

Not sure if this is normal for Lesser Slave but when i was there last week the wind would start out in one direction and go in a complete circle thoughout the day. Hence, did not seem to matter where you went as you would only be protected for an hour or 2.

Mike_W
07-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Not sure if this is normal for Lesser Slave but when i was there last week the wind would start out in one direction and go in a complete circle thoughout the day. Hence, did not seem to matter where you went as you would only be protected for an hour or 2.

In my experience which is quite extensive at lsl it usually blows from the north / northwest. But I suppose weather can change