PDA

View Full Version : Guided fishing in Jasper

buckkiller321
07-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Seeing if anyone has had any experience taking a guide out with you fishing for the day in the Jasper area. Doesn't matter for what kind of fish, just want my son to catch while we are up there on holidays.

Thanks in advance!

rammer
07-22-2014, 03:33 PM
Try Currie's out they are pretty good
curriesguiding.com

baseball fan
07-23-2014, 11:06 AM
Currie is the best, try Maligne lake

smitty9
07-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Just so everyone knows, here's an update on Currie's guiding.

After a few seasons of trying, Lorne sold his guiding business. A fellow by the name of Rico took over as of 2013.

When I phoned this year, Rico has enlisted a fellow by the name of Eric Van Velzen to run the operations. Phone number is still the same. 780-852-5650

Online Sport and Tackle (http://www.fishonlinejasper.com/) also does guiding; George Tremel is a long time time guide (Currie's main "rival" so to speak for years) and the shop has other guides too. I've heard good things about them, but I always went with Curries because I felt Lorne was just as knowledgeable and cheaper.

Can't speak to the quality of guides Curries has now, but they (Rico and Eric) seemed like good, friendly, knowledgeable guys when I spoke to them on the phone. Lorne would be a hard act to follow though... :)

You don't necessarily need a guide to fish, though I would recommend one if you're going to Maligne. Other places to try without a guide would be Moab, Valley of the Five, Talbot, Beaver (hiking involved), and maybe Patricia.

Just throwing that out there (the unguided thing). But if you're focused on getting a guide, that's great, hire one and go to Maligne!

Cheers.
Smitty

smitty9
07-23-2014, 04:53 PM
George Andrews (owns the Astoria and a couple of the other businesses) bought Currie's guiding.

Rico was the 'manager' last year. He's out of the picture. Eric is still helping to run it, but another fellow, Robert, could / will be taking over. I think George has ran into some difficulties trying to find a committed head guide. Just my impression. They're all friendly fellows though.

Equipment (freighter canoe, batteries, motor) can still be rented through Jasper Source for Sports; 780-852-3654. Robert works there and can give pricing, also Doug or Mark work there and can make booking arrangements.

Cheers.
Smitty

ximmix2007
07-23-2014, 07:09 PM
Hey how is Lorne doing btw, heard he had some health issues. Known him over 30 years last trip was 3 years ago, great time as always.

Mountain Guy
07-23-2014, 11:22 PM
When are you planning? Fishing has still been surprisingly good even with all the hot weather. If your not out till August you could run into the dog days of summer. Even guided fishing can be a tough grind.

buckkiller321
07-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Thanks for all the help, just heading up today for a week.

Thanks again!!!

ddddd05
07-24-2014, 01:20 PM
I went out with one of the guides from the Maligne Boathouse. His name was Courtnel. Awesome day with lots of fish caught. Great shore lunch and the he knew a ton about the area.