PDA

View Full Version : How about a new cannon, buddy?

Brad09
11-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Hey everyone, I haven't posted for awhile.

As many of you know, I work for Canadian Tire in Calgary. Anyway, since I am still fully wrapped up in my new rifle search, I usually give the guys that come through my store buying ammo a barrage of questions. I get a variety of mixed responses, but I have to say, this one tops them all...

So a guy comes in, not to purchase ammo, simply checking availability for 20 gauge shells for some bird hunting. We talked for awhile, and I found some similarities, one of the main ones being that neither of us were looking for a gun looking to blow giant holes in things.

Anyway, after a short conversation, my customer says to me, "my buddy, his dad had this rifle custom made and shipped up from the States. It's a left-handed gun, a .460 Weatherby Magnum. Now, I wouldn't pay any serious money for it, but can you imagine a gun like that?"

However, my customer, although definitely a nice guy, certainly overestimated my knowledge of different rifle calibers. So I went home, got on Wikipedia, and had a look at this thing. Have any of you actually seen one of these things? What a monster!

So just for the sake of asking, has anyone actually fired a rifle of this(or similar) caliber? I'm assuming this thing is for blowing holes in elephants and rhinos and Egyptian pyramids and such, and I am certain that it has no place in the hands of a North American hunter that wants to kill a deer. But I got to thinking. What exactly does one need a gun like that for, unless they make regular trips to the Sahara to shoot elephant? Is it just a macho show thing?

Anyway, something else that he mentioned to me is that he was also a left-handed shooter(as I am), but he had never bought a gun for someone left-handed. So, any of you south paws out there, do any of you own right-handed rifles? What is the big difference, just the bolt action on one side or the other? Is it worth looking at as a new shooter to check out a right-handed gun, or is this guy just really talented? I'm just curious because if it's a pretty simple matter of transferring over, that opens up my rifle selection by quite a bit.

Anyway, answers are always welcome, and I'd love to hear some comments about this cannon of a gun. Also, I've checked out a few rifles, and found a nice fit with the Browning A-Bolt and a Tikka T3, both in my price range and in .270 Winchester. I also heard about a specific Weatherby Mark 5 worth checking out, so that's probably in the plans this weekend.

TreeGuy
11-11-2008, 11:46 PM
The .460 is just another calibre, Brad. What's the diff? It makes for an extremely effective 'guide gun' in bear country or in Africa. Probably somewhat effective on elk/ moose also. Whatever. To each their own, and I'd worry more about MINIMUM calibres before I worry about 'cannons'.

Tree

PoppaW
11-12-2008, 03:13 AM
Yes i've seen one. I actually want one for hunting here. Not a macho thing, I just like big guns. I know people who have some very large rifles and they all use them on moose and deer and elk very well. Its all up to you. Some like to use the smallest possible and most just shoot something in the middle. My 416 is not much smaller than the 460 case wise and puts out some huge power if I want. Some people think the 460 isn't that big:eek:

Sheepcrazyguy
11-12-2008, 08:54 AM
I shoot left handed and use right handed bolt actions,have for years,started shooting that way.I own one left hand bolt action,great gun but haven't used it for a long time.

.257Weatherby
11-12-2008, 09:37 AM
I was reading another board the other night and one of the guys asked his son what gun they should take out for the afternoon hunt of "Speed Goats" as they call them, the son says "Daddy why dont you take the 460"?

They head out and locate a doe, turns out it is 364 yrds, the guy does some quick math for range/trajectory and lines up the goat.
forgets it was still moving away at a trott and BOOMMM, Goat flinches, still goes a few feet...drops.

Pictures show the entery wound to be .... exit hole... Andre the Giant could put his fist through it.
Why did they do it?? Dont know , wont comment , but it can be done and if you have the money to buy the gun and ammo why not shoot it ?
As long as they where legal , my .02 opinion dont mean "jack shyte".

As for those lefties out there that learn to shoot left and right handed "Good On You " !
Rob

LongDraw
11-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Smaller high velocity calibers (25-06, 270WSM, 257 Weatherby, etc..) with light explosive projectiles (ballistic tips) put bigger holes in light skin game such as antelope than the big cannons- generally speaking. I know a few guys that have shot deer sized game with the big uber cannons such as the 460 Weatherby and small hole in and only a slightly larger hole out is the norm with minimal meat damage compared to some of the examples of light, high velocity cartridges listed.

Rackmastr
11-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Smaller high velocity calibers (25-06, 270WSM, 257 Weatherby, etc..) with light explosive projectiles (ballistic tips) put bigger holes in light skin game such as antelope than the big cannons- generally speaking. I know a few guys that have shot deer sized game with the big uber cannons such as the 460 Weatherby and small hole in and only a slightly larger hole out is the norm with minimal meat damage compared to some of the examples of light, high velocity cartridges listed.

x2.....

huntinstuff
11-12-2008, 10:46 AM
I was at SG Gun Range and a fella there had a 460. He asked me, after a few shots of his own, if I would take the time to "sight in" his rifle as it was pounding him too much.

I obliged and had it within a bit over an inch at 200yds.

Then I saw the sign on my way out that stated "No 460Wby".....oops.

Does it kick? Yes.

Will that guy be proficient with it? I doubt it.

I don't knock anyone's choice of calibre or rifle. But if you need someone else to sight in your gun because it recoils too violently for you...........:rolleyes:

Scott N
11-12-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm sure some guys have already seen this video, but if not, check out fun with recoil:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-EVqT3XEzss

Copidosoma
11-12-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm sure some guys have already seen this video, but if not, check out fun with recoil:

One of the best vids on youtube.

Rackmastr
11-12-2008, 11:12 AM

Ya know....I like watchin the video cause its kinda funny....but I cant help but think that a lot of these guys are just reacting how they 'think' they should react...and maybe if they held the gun properly and stood properly they wouldnt let the gun go flyin in the air.

Just my thinkin...

Matt L.
11-12-2008, 11:50 AM
You have a point Rackmastr, especially after watchin' the first guy's reaction, the others would be scared ****less I bet.

Copidosoma
11-12-2008, 12:34 PM
It is pretty obvious that many of those folks had never fired a rifle with much kick before (possibly never fired a rifle). Still, some very impressive recoil on some of those guns. Must be nice to be able to afford to pull a prank like this on so many people.

TheClash
11-12-2008, 04:31 PM
i imagine the recoil ont hat gun is huge...but a few of those guys are letting go of the rifle as soon as they pull the trigger in anticipation of the large recoil.....not saying i would do any better haha

twofifty
11-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Brad09 for many here guns are like golf clubs.

Friend of mine took a big moose last year with a .458 WinMag, a round that is right up there in the upper range for recoil. He hit the moose at 40yds first shot; it was trotting past him from one brush opening to another, i.e. a moving offhand shot. The moose's momentum made it pile up in two strides.

Thing is this fellow practices with each of his rifles and knows where the bullets go from up close out to wherever a bullet's build still gets the job done.

Deep pockets are advised.

roger
11-12-2008, 07:48 PM
brad
check out the price of 460 factory ammo at work tomorrow, my friend has 33-378 weathebry and it is about $9.00 per factory round. i imagine that 460 is same area.
you mentioned your looking at a mark 5 in 270, is it used?
personally i would nt want a left shooting 460wby with a right shooter, especially with a peice of artillry like that, i forsee the bolt handle assisting you leaking a ketchup-like substance from your a facehole and a spitting out hard objects that look alot like chiclets.
Im trying to get comfy shooting backwards handed so that if a deer comes in from the wrong side, i dont have to pivot.

Solothurn
11-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Some of us just like big guns. Personally the 460 never made it for me, I far prefer my 50s and 20mms.
Shooting deer with my 50 is probably my second favorite passtime, 1st is 50 cal gophers.
Just becuase it is a big caliber does NOT necessarily mean major damage to game. Bullet choice is critical. I see far more damage especially on antelope and smaller deer being caused by 243s with 85 gr Ballistic Tips.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/albertatacticalrifle/Deadstuff016.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/albertatacticalrifle/Deadstuff011.jpg

Shooting gophers with a 50 is not for the faint of pocketbook

This monster is REALLY expensive to feed, but FUN!!!:D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/albertatacticalrifle/lahti.jpg

bobinthesky
11-13-2008, 08:50 AM
A friend of mine had a .460 and couldn't figure out why he kept getting headaches. :(
He stopped getting them when he stopped shooting the .460!;)