PDA

View Full Version : Down Rigger weights

warriorboy10
07-25-2014, 11:27 AM
Looking for pancake style weights in 15#. Know where I can find them or does anyone make them?

Thanks,

the11fisherman
07-25-2014, 11:41 AM
Once in a while I will see those in a Canadian Tire. But going to Bass Pro Shop, or an Outdoorsman Fitters would be a good guess. But regular Cannon Balls are the easiest ones to find.

Kokanee9
07-25-2014, 03:47 PM
I'm just wondering what the advantage is of using a pancake style, instead of the ball weight?

Duramaximos
07-25-2014, 03:51 PM
I find they run more vertical but not sure I see a need for a 15# unit.

conan
07-25-2014, 04:45 PM
If your trolling for salmon at 180 ft they keep your line down straighter instead of pulling at a 45 degree angle. You would have to be out at least 220 ft to have your bait actually down at at 180. And I have caught a lot of springs down at that depth in open water.
Pancake type do offer slightly less drag but round are supposed to be the most efficient . I don't like pancake style for a couple of reasons first when they just break the surface the tend to shoot out and bounce all over and second they don't make holders for pancake style.

HookedOnKokanee
07-25-2014, 06:22 PM
I see you are looking for pancake downrigger weights .... this is your lucky day ... I have shop all over the north American continent and the best price ... (70.00) for the 15 lb pancake is found atnikka.ca hope this is helpful .... cheers doyle .....:happy0180:

HookedOnKokanee
07-25-2014, 06:24 PM
also these prices are way lower than cabelas or bass pro ... and Nikka is a Canadian company .... have a great day .... doyle ....

Kokanee9
07-26-2014, 07:08 AM
I'm just wondering what the advantage is of using a pancake style, instead of the ball weight?

I find they run more vertical but not sure I see a need for a 15# unit.

If your trolling for salmon at 180 ft they keep your line down straighter instead of pulling at a 45 degree angle. You would have to be out at least 220 ft to have your bait actually down at at 180. And I have caught a lot of springs down at that depth in open water.
Pancake type do offer slightly less drag but round are supposed to be the most efficient . I don't like pancake style for a couple of reasons first when they just break the surface the tend to shoot out and bounce all over and second they don't make holders for pancake style.

Thanks. I haven't had mine running that deep yet, so drag hasn't been much of an issue. Have only used mine in fresh water, so have never had problems with drag angles.

The Reel Deal
07-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Pancake style can bend on impact with rocks, then they don't run true. Cannonball is best.

warriorboy10
07-26-2014, 02:37 PM
I have done a lot of research on pancake style weights availability and application and not so sure their the best way to go! I think I will stick with what is working. The good old ball style.!!

It sure helps getting first hand experience from those that have used the pancake weights.

Thanks for the input!

The Reel Deal
07-26-2014, 02:46 PM
If you're trolling at 3+mph you want 15# minimum. The pros I've talked to use 22# balls!