PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a place to take a Dog swimming

NCFlyfishin
07-26-2014, 08:13 PM
hey guys, i am very excited to say that i might have another fishing partner! i might be getting a Labradoodle puppy on monday and i want to train it to like water so that it can come on fishing trips with me, does anyone know of a place within 2 hours of calgary that has clean water where i can show the puppy how to swim? i will post some pictures on this thread
thanks guys!

NC

tonypower
07-27-2014, 07:36 PM
thats awesome!! I have a two year old labradoodle. He is the best dog I have ever had. Mine loves the water but to be honest he is not the best swimmer. lol enjoy your dog, you made a great choice.

Rockyman
07-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Our labradoodle is five and she loves the water. She was an excellent swimmer the very first time she went in. In Edmonton she goes swimming in the North Saskatchewan River but our favourite place to let her swim is Patricia Lake in Jasper. A bit further than 2 hours from Calgary unfortunately.

Enjoy your dog! They are a great breed.

bammer1
07-27-2014, 09:43 PM
That reservoir is close, on the bow, bearspaw i think? clean too

AdverseCity
07-28-2014, 10:57 AM
The irrigation ditch beside Deerfoot/17th Ave SE, it's the same water as the Bow river but stays about 4' deep for the most part. Very minimal current and pretty easy access at the Canoe Club, our Golden Retriever loved it there.

Okotokian
07-28-2014, 11:38 AM
Within two hours??? Take it down to the Bow. If you want a smaller stream come down to the Sheep in Okotoks. Just find an area out of the flow, go in yourself, and call him in to join you. That's how I did it. Don't throw or force him in, go in with him. Keep it shallow at first. And it helps with all this hot weather. He'll want to come in to cool off.

NCFlyfishin
07-29-2014, 10:48 AM
Thanks for replying guys, I'll take a look at these options, I'll try to post some pics later on

slamilton
07-30-2014, 07:11 AM
If you want some lakes you could try Chain Lakes (around 1hr), Barrier in Kananaskis, of course the other rivers mentioned.