PDA

View Full Version : East pit or muir?

Wannatrout
07-28-2014, 09:42 AM
Hi guys, I'm looking to introduce someone to fishing, and I'm thinking one of these 2 lakes is the place to do it. Any thoughts? I've never caught anything in east pit (3-4 evenings last year casting with mepps and some fly fishing), and I've never been to muir, so don't know how suitable it would be. I think the criteria for our first trip will be the ability to find a quiet, private spot to teach casting a spinner. Getting a fish would be a nice bonus (any tips on what to use would also be great - we'll have a couple light spinning rods).

Thanks!

Mike_W
07-28-2014, 10:16 AM
The biggest difference is Muir there is zero bait allowed. I know you stated spinners but just an FYI in case you were not aware.

Pikes"R"us
07-28-2014, 11:08 AM
Star is located just south of mink lake. Lots of rainbows between 6"-12". Friendly little spot great for introducing new people to fishing. Cast straight out from shore and you should be hooking into a few. I was there a month ago for a couple hours and caught one nice guy and lost a few more. Even the dog was entertained. Good luck!

waterninja
07-28-2014, 11:10 AM
i would suggest cardiff. close to city, easy access to water, lots of places to choose for fishing from shore and you can use bait. A first timer might have more success/fun there then either muir or east pit. Plus it's fun watching/catching the crabs in cardiff.

falco
07-28-2014, 11:13 AM
Plus it's fun watching/catching the crabs in cardiff.

Do you mean crayfish?

BGSH
07-28-2014, 11:29 AM
if you want tokeep fish go to eastpit, if you want to release fish go to Muir, have fun, goodluck :)

waterninja
07-28-2014, 11:34 AM
Do you mean crayfish?
thats it! had the name on the tip of my tounge but till i have my morning coffee i'm in a haze. lol

Wannatrout
07-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Good info everyone thanks, I've also had Sauer recommended.

pdfish
07-28-2014, 08:14 PM
Good info everyone thanks, I've also had Sauer recommended.

Don't waste your time at Sauer.

chriscosta
07-28-2014, 08:43 PM
caught lots at east pit this year id go there ...its perfect for what your lookin for and slap a good half dew worm on the spinner thats all I caught mine on other than flies

waterninja
07-28-2014, 10:09 PM
Don't waste your time at Sauer.
x2

baseball fan
07-28-2014, 11:43 PM
I recommend Star, however Hasse would be a great spot except
some idiots destroyed the lake with pirch and pike introduced illegally

Wannatrout
07-29-2014, 11:24 AM
I did a quick pass by several of these lakes yesterday to check them out, thanks for all the tips.

Hasse - signs posted saying the water is contaminated with fecal coliform :(

Star - looks good but can only fish from parking lot without a boat from the look of it :)

Sauer - looks like the nicest from the "quiet, private spot" perspective. Are you guys recommending against it b/c there are no fish there, or b/c they're too small or something? The one problem I see from the East shore at least is the water looks very shallow (1' or so) as far out as I can see.

Thanks for any more tips you can provide

kpfishngame
07-29-2014, 12:23 PM
I did a quick pass by several of these lakes yesterday to check them out, thanks for all the tips.

Hasse - signs posted saying the water is contaminated with fecal coliform :(

Star - looks good but can only fish from parking lot without a boat from the look of it :)

Sauer - looks like the nicest from the "quiet, private spot" perspective. Are you guys recommending against it b/c there are no fish there, or b/c they're too small or something? The one problem I see from the East shore at least is the water looks very shallow (1' or so) as far out as I can see.

Thanks for any more tips you can provide

Sauer is an okay lake to fish from shore, But I only really see guys rig from shore instead of casting. Personally, If I were to go to a lake and show someone how to cast, I'd pick either east pit or cardiff pond. Both are fun little lakes, both have lots of good casting spots, and both will hook you into some fish.

owllight
07-29-2014, 12:44 PM
East pit is really nice because you can spread out. Some big fatties in there as well.

Star is also pretty good for shore fishing, and you can drop a boat with an electric motor in there as well, or just paddle. Lots of action near shore.

There's also the Jim Nelson trout pond on hwy 60 just outside of Devon. I've heard of some people having great luck, others not so much.

chriscosta
07-29-2014, 01:42 PM
hasse lakes been dead for years and I was catching perch there easily 15 yrs ago and it was the fish stocking people that put pike and walleye in there ... its too bad that lake was awesome at one point but the birds destroyed it

ab_hunter
07-29-2014, 05:15 PM
What kind of size can one expect from Star lake? I hear conflicting reports about winterkill there.

trooper
07-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Morinville reservoir AKA Heritage Lake is a great place to show a newbee the ropes.

chriscosta
07-29-2014, 11:12 PM
troopers right :)

Wannatrout
07-30-2014, 02:11 PM
thanks everyone!