PDA

View Full Version : Trout Pond Success - NEED HELP!!

sns2
07-28-2014, 09:59 AM
The wife is going away for a few weeks and wants an enjoyable day outdoors with the kids before she goes. So I suggested to take the kids out to my gun range that has a very small aerated pond that they have stocked with trout.

What is the best way to catch some of these fish? I have never even tried to catch a trout in a pond.

Battery
07-28-2014, 10:05 AM
The wife is going away for a few weeks and wants an enjoyable day outdoors with the kids before she goes. So I suggested to take the kids out to my gun range that has a very small aerated pond that they have stocked with trout.

What is the best way to catch some of these fish? I have never even tried to catch a trout in a pond.

Slip bobber and worms or powerbait or cheese

waterninja
07-28-2014, 11:18 AM
not sure about your private pond, but a lot of private ponds feed there fish with "purina trout chow" or something simalar. Using the same food as bait should work well or believe it or not the small nuggets of hard dog food can be a good bait. Failing that, a hook and a worm always works well for trout.
there is a little trick to getting the hard nugget of trout chow or dog food onto your hook. If your interested PM me.

Iwantsfish
07-28-2014, 11:20 AM
x2 for a slip bobber setup. Get a small #6 or #8 circle hook like mustad and tie it to a 2-4 lb leader about 1-2 feet long. On the main line on the rod, tie or slip on a pre-tied stopper knot that might come with a slip bobber followed by a bead, then the bobber, a weight that you put the line through, and lastly a bead again. Then tie that to a swivel, then tie the leader with the hook to the swivel. The beads are there to stop at and protect the knots.

Once you have that set up just add your bait to the hook and you're set. All the mentioned above work well but I find pieces of regular cooked shrimp works the best for me in various ponds.

Have fun!

fish gunner
07-28-2014, 05:22 PM
If they feed the fish kibble , after you cast out throw out a small hand full of gravel over your area drives them bonkers.:)