PDA

View Full Version : Grayling around Fort Mcmurray

Chevyboy86
07-28-2014, 03:08 PM
So, I've been lurking for a little while. Finally decided to join, most of you seem helpful so I figured I would join the fun!

I'm no stranger to fishing, being from rural northern ontario (200 miles west of Thunder Bay) fishing/hunting is a way of life. I've been working out here for almost ten years, done a little bit of fishing with a couple buddies and what not. But lately I've been getting Into it a little more out here, there is some great fishing if you can get on to them! But I've been keeping a rod out here with me, been fishing more and more in Alberta.

I've had awesome luck on gregiore, Athabasca river, Clearwater and McKay river. But being from northern ontario, fishing all these rivers is completely new to me. I'm a walleye, lake trout and smallmouth bass kinda fella! So This is like learning all over again! I've been using a 6'6" G-Loomis GL3 medium action with a pflueger reel, for walleye I've found the best tactic for me is a 3/8 oz jig with any type of chartreuse colour power bait and letting it bounce on bottom in back eddies/deeper pools and such. Actually that has worked really well on Clearwater. Had some luck with pickerel rigs too, but too boring for me I like casting!

Here is my question, I have never caught an arctic grayling, I really want to try my hand at it! What type of spin cast lures will work best? I've done some reading it seems small spoons or Mepps will do the trick. Are these guys sensitive to heavier line? What type of structure do they look for? And finally where? I've heard they are in the hangingstone...I'm not asking for anybodies secret spot or exactly where to fish! Just a couple pointers to help a fellow out, after all when I'm here I don't have time to be chasing fish around all day. I work while I'm here so time is limiting...maybe if I find some fish I'll call in sick one day ahah

Thanks fellas