PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Tiger Trout Hatchery

Sundancefisher
11-13-2008, 08:04 AM
I am looking to find a supplier of Tiger Trout for a private community lake in Calgary.

Please let me know if you can do that or if you know who can.

Tiger trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) are a hybrid species that occur when a brown and brook trout mate. These trout get their name because of their tiger-like markings.
Tiger aggressive predators who like to eat smaller fish. And since they're known for putting up a good fight, anglers enjoy catching them.

Many fish hatcheries have started breeding Tiger trout in an effort to help control some of the competition (like chubs) faced by some game fish. Due to their aggressive nature and willingness to hunt prey in shallow waters, it's thought that Tiger trout might survive better than other species.

However, Tiger trout are sterile and unable to reproduce. Thus it's up to hatcheries to keep reproducing them.

I therefore need to find a hatchery and am stumped so far.

Thanks.

Sun

FisherPotch
11-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Don't know of anywhere but it sounds like a great idea. I would love to catch one.

Bear
11-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Tiger Trout are no longer allowed for stocking in Alberta.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex3487

There is a list of the fish permitted for stocking.

Sundancefisher
11-13-2008, 09:38 AM
They are not listed but they are most likely not a problem.

If you noted both Brown Trout and Brook Trout are eligible for stocking. Tige Trout are a cross between these two and are incapable of reproducing which is highly important for many obvious reasons.

Cheers

Sun

Bear
11-13-2008, 09:44 AM
You may only stock the species listed. Tiger trout as a species have been delisted in Alberta. No one sells them as they can not be licensed to have them. Sorry.

SNAPFisher
11-13-2008, 10:45 AM
It does state:

The Aquaculture Section will not issue a licence for any species of fish not included in Table 1.

No tiger trout. I did notice on the last license that I received that tiger trout were no longer listed. This was at least 3 years ago.

Sundancefisher
11-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the info.

I will have to contact F&W and see what is up. Why allow Brookies and Browns and not a cross?

I will let you know if I hear.

Cheers

Sun

Bear
11-13-2008, 01:34 PM
F&W don't license recreational licenses for stocking. Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development does.

Licensing section can be reached at 780-427-5083

Also being in Calgary probably puts you in the restricted zone which only allows for the stocking of Rainbow Trout and Grass Carp.

Wood1
11-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Alberta is not very open minded to pursuits in Aquaculture. Not just the gov't but also the growers/suppliers. It's a tough game to be in. My permit allows for Rainbow, brook and brown trout, triploid grass carp and of all things Artic Char. As stated, Tiger trout have been removed from the list. As you know, native fish species are not allowed. You will find it very difficult to find any of the above fish excepting rainbows and grass carp. Brook trout were available briefly over the years depending on egg supply. Your closest option to tigers may be brown trout, which are also very aggressive, but harder to catch than rainbows for example. I would guess that if you wanted browns, you would have to of course have your aquaculture permit and proper import papers to bring in eyed eggs as there is NO import of live salmonoids in Alberta. You may want to talk with the AFFA and get their input. So, for all us private pond/lake owners, enjoy your 8-10" rainbow trout.

gube
11-13-2008, 10:55 PM
I have been stocking my pond for a few years now, I did inquire about the tiger trout back when they were included on the list. I was told they don't grow very big, are voracious predators that will attack and eat any other fish you have in your pond, therefore not a desirable species to have in your pond. I have brookies and rainbows and they co-exist quite well. I have been trying to find some "browns" but they are virtually impossible to find. I had one fish supplier that had a batch of browns that would be ready in 3 years, but he lost them.

Wood1
11-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Hey gube, if you don't mind me asking, have you had any fish kills yet? Summer or winter. Do you Aerate?

gube
11-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Hey gube, if you don't mind me asking, have you had any fish kills yet? Summer or winter. Do you Aerate?

I usually do lose some when the first big EXTENDED heat wave of the summer arrives. The temperature change is probably to much of a shock to their system. I do aerate with both an electric compressor and a windmill. I bought my electric from Ackenberry Trout Farms and it pretty much runs 24 /7. My first year I only had the windmill and I experienced some very large algae blooms in the summer. Since installing the electric the algae blooms have ceased. My electric uses about 10 bucks a month for power.
They survive the winter quite well. My pond is 20 ft deep with constant aeration so winter survival is no problem.

Arial photo of my "pet" brookies, rainbows, and grass carp.:wave:
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m128/gube_2006/Flightpics020.jpg

Sundancefisher
11-14-2008, 01:14 PM
I have been stocking my pond for a few years now, I did inquire about the tiger trout back when they were included on the list. I was told they don't grow very big, are voracious predators that will attack and eat any other fish you have in your pond, therefore not a desirable species to have in your pond.

I actually want them to help clean out other fish. Based upon the wording above...I could use 10,000 of the mean critters!

Bear
11-14-2008, 01:37 PM
I guess another question would be is the lake licensed under a recreational Fish culture license or a Commercial A license?

Being in Calgary would most likely be in the Restricted Zone which makes it harder to get licensed.

SNAPFisher
11-14-2008, 01:47 PM
Gube, that is one sweet pond and set-up you got there. Thanks for the info. It was helpful.

I raised brookies and rainbows a few years back but gave up a couple of years ago due to a constant beaver infestation. Quite a remote place built into some steep country with 2 constant inflowing spring - perfect and beautiful! Too remote though to keep an eye on ...needed a 4x4 when it was wet too. Also, the pond had filled in to the point of only being 7 FOW...not enough no matter what. I have a 16 foot windmill aerator. Looking to build one close to the house. I'm thinking I'll include electric aeration as well.

I love it. It is complete fun raising fish. Hope you enjoy yours often. I'm envious.

Cheers!