PDA

View Full Version : Bait for perch

spinN'flyfish
07-30-2014, 08:12 PM
Hey everyone, I'm wondering if perch can be caught with other bait (I know maggots, leeches, and worms work) so if I do want to use bait I wouldn't need to go find some at stores. Is there something from the house perhaps? (like shrimp? I just know they're good for trout). I'd just like to change up some techniques for perch instead of just using flies to catch 'em.

338Bluff
07-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Bacon or shrimp will both work. Once you catch the first one though, perch eye or belly is likely one of the best baits, assuming you are killing the fish for the pan. Just in case anyone wants to start an argument that parts of game fish are not allowable for bait the following is verbatim from the 2014 regs.

Parts of Game Fish. Only the skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used as bait, provided these fish were lawfully caught by angling. Skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used where the use of bait fish is prohibited, but cannot be used where bait bans are in effect. All game fish kept must be counted in the daily catch limit, including any fish from which parts are used for bait.

fish gunner
07-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Bacon or shrimp will both work. Once you catch the first one though, perch eye or belly is likely one of the best baits, assuming you are killing the fish for the pan. Just in case anyone wants to start an argument that parts of game fish are not allowable for bait the following is verbatim from the 2014 regs.

Parts of Game Fish. Only the skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used as bait, provided these fish were lawfully caught by angling. Skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used where the use of bait fish is prohibited, but cannot be used where bait bans are in effect. All game fish kept must be counted in the daily catch limit, including any fish from which parts are used for bait.

X2 on eyes. We used to start with a bit of red wool to get the first one then use eyes. Minnow is the best selective bait for larger perch fished12-18" above the hot bite depth slower action but generally better fish.

spinN'flyfish
07-30-2014, 09:26 PM

for the shrimp/bacon(also egg and parts) should i jig it for more action for leave it deadstick? And i will try the perch parts, i guess i should always bring a table spoon when fishing! Thanks for suggesting the ''new bait'' to me everyone :)

fish gunner
07-30-2014, 09:35 PM
Constant small movements work best for stripes they almost always hit on the pause. Google waggler floats or canal perch. the euro match anglers have it down to a science. Our regs limit match tactics, however gear and techniques cross over nicely

Red Bullets
07-30-2014, 10:51 PM
I have caught alot of big perch using 1 inch dacy or spottail minnows.

Even little leadhead jigs shaped like minnowheads with a 1 inch rubber minnow with an active tail.

Big perch can be like pike when using minnows, they will grab the minnow, swim a few feet, then turn the minnow and eat it.

338Bluff
07-30-2014, 11:00 PM
Yellow, Black or Purple 2" twister tail and a green or black head. Tip it with whatever bait and either hang it under a bobber or my favorite....cast out 30 feet. Wait until its on the bottom and then give it a twitch, very slow retrieve. Keep it on the bottom, if you feel and resistance at all set the hook. When you get it to the boat let it sink to the bottom again and then twitch it, then just let it sit. Usually the less movement the better.

chriscosta
07-30-2014, 11:08 PM
Yellow, Black or Purple 2" twister tail and a green or black head. Tip it with whatever bait and either hang it under a bobber or my favorite....cast out 30 feet. Wait until its on the bottom and then give it a twitch, very slow retrieve. Keep it on the bottom, if you feel and resistance at all set the hook. When you get it to the boat let it sink to the bottom again and then twitch it, then just let it sit. Usually the less movement the better.

thats what im sayin ... but I use red head white body a split shot and maggots with the smallest jig you can find ... them tiny gulp alive minnows been workin good without bait and the walleye n pike love em too hell a whitefish might even grab it ..as for bait from around home ... marshmellows or garlic sausage .. velveeta cheese

spinN'flyfish
07-30-2014, 11:35 PM
would a 2.5'' minnow and an 1/8 oz jig work too? I have those for trout

Red Bullets
07-31-2014, 09:23 AM
would a 2.5'' minnow and an 1/8 oz jig work too? I have those for trout

2.5" minnow might be a little too big. You could try half of a minoow. Might work.

spinN'flyfish
07-31-2014, 10:03 AM
2.5" minnow might be a little too big. You could try half of a minoow. Might work.

But the 1/8 oz will work too? I'll try cut the minnows from 2.5'' to 1'' but thats pretty short

shane_buck
07-31-2014, 10:20 AM
One bait I found works well and especially for the bigger sized perch is just the head of a minnow. Usually you can find tubs of minnows that are smaller in size and just pinch of the heads and use them....works great for me once you find the perch.

traxxas13
07-31-2014, 11:48 AM
Our last few trips out we have been smashing perch on the 1" northland impulse minnows tipped on a small ice jig. Either under a bobber or just dragging it through the water close to the boat. Sometimes well get a school of them 2-5 feet from the boat. Pretty cool to watch.

chriscosta
07-31-2014, 12:24 PM
have one person jigging under the boat with a jig n maggots and one casting and retrieving a panther martin with maggots befpre you know it the perch will be stacked up under your boat

spinN'flyfish
07-31-2014, 02:33 PM
They also like #8 woolly buggers and its quite long, maybe a bit shorter than 2.5'' though

spinN'flyfish
08-01-2014, 03:38 PM
have one person jigging under the boat with a jig n maggots and one casting and retrieving a panther martin with maggots befpre you know it the perch will be stacked up under your boat

I know I shouldn't jump to whitefish but they like similar foods (maggots,leeches and worms) I realized, but would these methods catch whites as well?

Nova
08-02-2014, 09:10 AM
When I was younger, there was a couple years where the fish at our local reservoir were hot for steak and liver. My brother and I could go out and catch upwards of 50 fish in a day (walleye and perch). I've tried it a few times since with moderate success. Ordinary earth worms I find to work as good or better than anything else, they just don't last very long.

ladyjig
08-02-2014, 02:39 PM
fat mealworms small and large ones, white maggots, steak or small pieces of sausage and see what they like the best by jigging just off the bottom of a honey hole....light line and a small jigging hook will do and don't forget no leader.
Good Luck.

Red Bullets
08-02-2014, 03:06 PM
I know I shouldn't jump to whitefish but they like similar foods (maggots,leeches and worms) I realized, but would these methods catch whites as well?

You could potentially catch a white too. Ice fishing for sure. In summer I think whites tend to be deeper than perch so it would all depend on your fishing depth..

trekstar
08-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Freezer Burnt beef is the best and you dont need much. I usually cut about 1/4 x 1/4 inch cubes, best part is they will still keep hittin on it when the meat turns white.

mongo
08-06-2014, 07:57 AM
small strip of liver & it lasts a long time due to its tougher texture.

pinelakeperch
08-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Small gobs of worms, maggots, perch eyes, minnow heads, small leeches, etc. I've had my best luck on minnow heads, FWIW.

erkel1
08-06-2014, 09:54 PM
I've used the rind off of ham ice fishing and had good success.Ham the night before for supper, next day sandwiches,rind cut into 1/4 inch strips and jig away.Everyone wins.

Leeroy25
08-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Another vote for eyeballs!