PDA

View Full Version : Where to find a good float rod?

DukesArcher
07-31-2014, 06:17 PM
Hello,
Well I've searched a few places in Edmonton for a decent float rod, but it seems most shops only sell spin, bait cast and fly rods....like literally everywhere! Seems strange they only cater to lure fisherman :confused: Does anyone know a place that may stock a decent selection of float rods. Ideally a 12-13 ft rod with around a 1.5 test curb.

Thanks!

:)

fish gunner
07-31-2014, 06:49 PM
Hello,
Well I've searched a few places in Edmonton for a decent float rod, but it seems most shops only sell spin, bait cast and fly rods....like literally everywhere! Seems strange they only cater to lure fisherman :confused: Does anyone know a place that may stock a decent selection of float rods. Ideally a 12-13 ft rod with around a 1.5 test curb.

Thanks!

:)

Bass pro carries a few . Ordering online from the UK is best . Some fly shops in cow town will carry noodle rod for center pin . Next to no one on here knows what a 1.5 lb curve is.

DukesArcher
07-31-2014, 07:01 PM
Bass pro carries a few . Ordering online from the UK is best . Some fly shops in cow town will carry noodle rod for center pin . Next to no one on here knows what a 1.5 lb curve is.

No the postage cost is too high from the UK.

I keep seeing fishing floats in store, but no float rods :confused: Do you only lure fish over here or something?

Bushrat
07-31-2014, 07:15 PM
Look up some shops in BC, that style of rod is popular with steelhead fishermen, they must sell them somewhere.

fish gunner
07-31-2014, 07:21 PM
Look up some shops in BC, that style of rod is popular with steelhead fishermen, they must sell them somewhere.

Mostly center pin with a mooching style handle. Arnt you from the UK get a relly to send one ups. Drennan 10' 37 £ 70ish $ weight next to nothing in a stout card board tube. Few years back my rod was 35 $ snail mail from the UK .

Mistagin
07-31-2014, 07:30 PM
I've got 2 of 'em. But got them back in Ontario where I used them for steelhead fishing.
Have not seen them here in Alberta.
Best bet is to check in B.C.

The Fishin Magician
08-01-2014, 02:44 AM
Call Brian at Freds Custom Tackle in Sardis BC. 604-858-7343

Runnyd
08-01-2014, 01:59 PM
Float rods are popular in the east. Have one shipped from Ontario somewhere.

My brother builds float (...any kind of rod) rods and makes custom float reel seats on his CNC machine. He's out of TO. I can ask him where a good shop is in that area. He did tell me that my 11' switch rod would work as a float rod, so something to think about there.

I did see a float real at BPS not sure if they sell a rod to match.

Good Luck!!

BeeGuy
08-01-2014, 02:51 PM
Barry's bait and tackle in Richmond, BC, I think.

Great selection, fair prices, and shipping is fair too.

Google it and check out their site online.

Check the catalog, sale, and clearance sections.

Mission accomplished.

Flieguy
08-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Ebay

custom rod builders

Ebay...

sorta like trying to find a pair of skates in guatemala

BCSteel
08-04-2014, 12:56 PM
I picked up an 11'6" Shimano rod rated 4-10 lb line at Cabelas a couple years back. Works well with a little 4" King Pin on it out here. If I were going to order a factory rod I'd get a 13' St.Croix Avid rated 4-10 lb line in a heart beat. Such a fantastic rod right from the factory.