PDA

View Full Version : Interpreting the Fishing Regulations

Craneman32
08-02-2014, 01:06 PM
I am curious if I am understanding the regulations properly.

Take North Ram River for example.

It tells you the dates of when you can fish it. June 16th - Oct. 31st. Then it says Trout = 0. Ok I can't take trout.

Question:

Can you catch any other species in the legal time period? It says nothing about Walleye or Pike etc. Does that mean there are no Walleye or Pike? Does that mean there is no limit?

Please clearify.

BeeGuy
08-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Step 1: read the general provincial regs.

Step 2: read the general region regs for your area in question.

Step 3: read the water-specific regs for your area in question. These are basically exceptions to the general regional regs.

Species which are not mentioned fall under the first 2 sections.

You can catch species which are not mentioned specifically in step 3.

Catch limits will fall under step 1 and 2.

made sense?

Nova
08-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Question:

Can you catch any other species in the legal time period? It says nothing about Walleye or Pike etc. Does that mean there are no Walleye or Pike? Does that mean there is no limit?

Please clearify.

Not mentioning species in lake specific regulations does not mean they don't exist in that lake or that they are not regulated. Lake or area specific regulations trump the general regulations, but general regulations will always apply to all lakes.

RavYak
08-02-2014, 02:42 PM
I am curious if I am understanding the regulations properly.

Take North Ram River for example.

It tells you the dates of when you can fish it. June 16th - Oct. 31st. Then it says Trout = 0. Ok I can't take trout.

Question:

Please clearify.

Staying with your example,

The dates tell you when you can legally fish the water so you can only fish in the North Ram River during those days.

During those days that you can legally fish you can not keep any trout.

Since walleye and pike are not listed it is unlikely you would catch them(they almost always list all the species you are likely to catch, at least in my experience), if you did happen to catch something that isn't listed, say pike in this example then it would fall under the general regional limits(in this case ES2 and it would be 3 pike no size limit).

A note about the overall limit seen on page 24 of regulation booklet is that this limit is not your daily limit and should never be referenced as such. It is your overall possession limit(how many fish you can have in your possession no matter which different lakes, rivers and regions the fish came from) and that is it, whenever looking for your daily limit you need to look at either the specific lakes listing or the general region limit if the lake is not listed.

SRD does a good job of making limits confusing, hopefully this helps clear it up though...

CanadianBadass
08-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Staying with your example,

The dates tell you when you can legally fish the water so you can only fish in the North Ram River during those days.

During those days that you can legally fish you can not keep any trout.

Since walleye and pike are not listed it is unlikely you would catch them(they almost always list all the species you are likely to catch, at least in my experience), if you did happen to catch something that isn't listed, say pike in this example then it would fall under the general regional limits(in this case ES2 and it would be 3 pike no size limit).

A note about the overall limit seen on page 24 of regulation booklet is that this limit is not your daily limit and should never be referenced as such. It is your overall possession limit(how many fish you can have in your possession no matter which different lakes, rivers and regions the fish came from) and that is it, whenever looking for your daily limit you need to look at either the specific lakes listing or the general region limit if the lake is not listed.

SRD does a good job of making limits confusing, hopefully this helps clear it up though...

Well Put RavYak ! Simplified and understandable for most to understand! ^----THIS !

RavYak
08-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Thanks CBA, now I figure it is time to really confuse him lol.

The above applies to all situations except for stocked trout ponds. In a stocked trout pond if you catch anything other then what is listed in the regs then it must be released.

I don't know why they created this rule as it does nothing but make things even more confusing...

allenford
08-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Thanks CBA, now I figure it is time to really confuse him lol.

The above applies to all situations except for stocked trout ponds. In a stocked trout pond if you catch anything other then what is listed in the regs then it must be released.

I don't know why they created this rule as it does nothing but make things even more confusing...
i think they try to keep the stock pond for Trout only. say, if someone wanna harvest some pike or perch in the stock pond, they may illegally introduce some in, while this rule will prevent that

RavYak
08-02-2014, 09:47 PM
i think they try to keep the stock pond for Trout only. say, if someone wanna harvest some pike or perch in the stock pond, they may illegally introduce some in, while this rule will prevent that

That is the only explanation that I have heard/know of that makes a tiny bit of sense.

The main reason it doesn't really make sense though is that people that are going to illegally transport and stock fish probably don't care about limits either... And the few that do probably realize that SRD would just open the lakes to those fish like they have to other lakes in the past(most trout ponds with perch or pike usually have those species added to try and keep the ponds from becoming overrun).

In the end I think it is just a stupid unnecessary rule that makes things more confusing then it needs to be... If anything the rule should state that other game species should not be returned to the lake(either kept or disposed of).

huntsfurfish
08-03-2014, 09:35 AM

This is why.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Its good that they put this in, makes sense. Why reward the bucket bios?

Craneman32
08-03-2014, 05:54 PM
Clear as mud! Haha