PDA

View Full Version : scopes

muley300
11-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Has anyone ever heard of or used a "sightron" brand scope.

any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Solothurn
11-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Has anyone ever heard of or used a "sightron" brand scope.

any info would be appreciated, thanks.

Yes I have heard of them and even seen them.:sick: I think their most expensive scope is just over $400.00, they are made in China by a contractor who will make a scope with "your" name on it if you place a big enough order.
Markup made on these scopes is "substantial", service well.....:rolleye2:

They could be ok if you don't mind being a member of the "scope of the year" club:D

muley300
11-13-2008, 09:59 PM
perfect thanks for the info

gitrdun
11-13-2008, 10:20 PM
If it ends with..."tron" or "co" it's likely Junktron or Junktro made in China copytrons or copytros. Even Leupold came under their radar and where being copied and sold on eBay. It's all junk, you may save a buck now, but you'll regret it later.

sickfast
11-13-2008, 10:39 PM
If its made in China it's junk!!!!!! Just like there scopes..If its made in Japan or the USA it will do you much better...

huntinstuff
11-14-2008, 07:53 AM
There is a wholesaler in Edmonton who told me they were junk. But they sell them because profit is good.

And not to Hijack the thread, but what is this trend with guys buying Leupold "knock offs" or "clones"?????? Why would someone do that?

Solothurn
11-14-2008, 08:10 AM
There is a wholesaler in Edmonton who told me they were junk. But they sell them because profit is good.

And not to Hijack the thread, but what is this trend with guys buying Leupold "knock offs" or "clones"?????? Why would someone do that?

Its the same thing as guys who buy knock off Rolex watches, either they are too stunned to know they are buying fakes, or they figure those who they show it off to are too stupid to know the difference.

MK2750
11-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Its the same thing as guys who buy knock off Rolex watches, either they are too stunned to know they are buying fakes, or they figure those who they show it off to are too stupid to know the difference.

It is nearly impossiable to tell some phony stuff from the real deal. My buddy bought a set of Callaway golf clubs that looked great until he hit them. I read in a golf mag that even some of the pros can't tell until they try the product.

In some cases the product is just as good. The product is made for less cost by avoiding research and marketing costs.

If the deal sounds too good to be true it probably is. The only way to be reasonably sure is to deal with a reputable dealer-not ebay or other web sites.

MK

Solothurn
11-14-2008, 09:23 AM
It is nearly impossiable to tell some phony stuff from the real deal. My buddy bought a set of Callaway golf clubs that looked great until he hit them. I read in a golf mag that even some of the pros can't tell until they try the product.

In some cases the product is just as good. The product is made for less cost by avoiding research and marketing costs.

If the deal sounds too good to be true it probably is. The only way to be reasonably sure is to deal with a reputable dealer-not ebay or other web sites.

MK

I agree Their copies can be incredibly good.
But when you can buy what should be a $1500.00 scope for $300.00 or a $10000.00 watch for for $500.00 a person would need to be REALLY naive to figure that everything was on the up and up.
That being said I know of 1 outfit who shall remain anonomous who WAS selling the fake MK4s for full MK4 price. It wasn't until the fake had a problem and the customer tried to get service that brought to light the deception.
Strangely the dealer involved is no longer at his last known place of business and has not been heard of for some time.

Leverboy
11-14-2008, 09:23 AM
With the amount of used Leupolds available to buy off the net at places like Gunnutz why would one mess with those garbage brands??? Especially with Leupolds warranty house in Alberta.

huntinstuff
11-14-2008, 10:23 AM
With the amount of used Leupolds available to buy off the net at places like Gunnutz why would one mess with those garbage brands??? Especially with Leupolds warranty house in Alberta.

x100.......

AB2506
11-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Most of the reviews I have read indicate that the Sightron line is quite good. Similar to Bushnel 3200. Last I heard Sightron was made in Japan. John Barsness recommends the 1-5 on African rifles. Can't be too bad? I saw some in Idaho. All right, but heavier than Leupold. I like Leupold, and I chose to stick with them, even if they cost a little more (VXIII).

MK2750
11-14-2008, 03:54 PM

This is the problem. You think you are buying a used Leupold at a good price and don't find out until you send it in for warranty that it is a fake. The seller is long gone by then.

EagleEye54
11-15-2008, 09:28 AM
The big issue today with scopes is repair depots and yes, scopes break a lot from my experience. If it cannot get fixed here, don't buy it. Leupold and Zeiss have Canadian service, many companies don't. If you have to send the scope to the USA for repair, good luck waiting for the permit to get it back home. Remember, quality and service comes at a price....don't go cheap on scopes.