PDA

View Full Version : flat fish

Bjay
08-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Hi, Any one out there ever use T50 or T60 flatfish for pike. I don't mean just trolling but casting the flatfish. You would have to take the centre hook off or you would get a real tangle but to me it would sure seam viable. I used to use them on Lake Trout in the Caribou and a flatfish slayed the Lake Trout.
Bjay

silver
08-05-2014, 06:37 AM
I use a Canadian Wiggler for jacks all the time, I think they are the same as a flat fish. I use them for trolling and casting, I like the red and white ones best.

bloopbloob
08-05-2014, 07:29 AM
I use a Canadian Wiggler for jacks all the time, I think they are the same as a flat fish. I use them for trolling and casting, I like the red and white ones best.

Not the same. I much prefer a flatfish. A kwikfish lure is very similar though.

As for pike, they work amazing, one of my favorite all around hooks. I have about 10 of them, in different colors and sizes. I don't know the sizes, but range from about 2" to about 7". I've caught lots of 1.5lb pike on the biggest size, amazes me that they go for such a big hook, but they do!

EZM
08-05-2014, 08:02 AM
If you took the center hook off, I would guess the action would be ruined ( or at least much different ) .... why not just leave it on?

I realize they are primarily a slow trolling lure, and can easily get fouled up when casting, but the pivot design (hook weight in middle and back countering the lip on the front) is what makes these lures awesome.

I have caught Lakers, Pike, Bulls, Rainbows and Walleye on these lures .... they are great.

cube
08-05-2014, 08:52 AM
Hi, Any one out there ever use T50 or T60 flatfish for pike. I don't mean just trolling but casting the flatfish. You would have to take the centre hook off or you would get a real tangle but to me it would sure seam viable. I used to use them on Lake Trout in the Caribou and a flatfish slayed the Lake Trout.
Bjay

They will sure work on pike. I for one do not like casting them, esp. on a windy day, as they are a low density lure and the size (T50 or T60) pull so hard when reeling them in. Hence I troll with them primarily.

Good Luck to You