PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Near Red Deer

Crippler1977
08-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Hey guys, I'm reaching out as a parent trying to find a decent spot to go fishing that is not overcrowded with people to get my kids out with more successful fishing. I know it's not what you catch that makes a trip but they are beginning to lose interest in the sport as we are either constantly getting skunked or having to drive hours to get out to a semi-decent location.

Thanks!

JC

boner54
08-08-2014, 07:03 AM
I suggest you join the RD Fish and Game club. Family membership is 40.00 and they have 320 acers just east of town. Stocked trout pond, camp ground, play area and the lake on the preperty has some very nice trout. The stocked pond is easy to fish for kids.

WillyOneStyle
08-08-2014, 08:47 PM
The Red Deer River. There are fish in there. I would head to Sportsmen's den and ask what they recommend you use to target certain species such as whitefish, goldeye, pike and sauger.Even trout upstream of town. For what it's worth, the next 10 calendar weeks are the best part of our season in this region.

fish gunner
08-08-2014, 09:26 PM
Phillis , dixon trout pond , nimela pond and hansons all have stocker trout . Dixon and phills hold brooders . Power bait or worms just off bottom should bring fish.

Tdog_2005
08-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Are you shore fishing or have a small boat, If you have a small boat , even a inflatable you could try chain lakes by ponoka, pike in there and every time I have been there I have always caught fish and there are rarely very many people there.

Xiaro
08-08-2014, 10:12 PM
The Red Deer River. There are fish in there. I would head to Sportsmen's den and ask what they recommend you use to target certain species such as whitefish, goldeye, pike and sauger.Even trout upstream of town. For what it's worth, the next 10 calendar weeks are the best part of our season in this region.

Could you please explain how the next 10 months are the best for us noobs? Id really like to know how I can capitalize on it. Thanks!

fish gunner
08-08-2014, 11:56 PM
Stable water conditions with fish comming on spawn( Brown's & bulls) and others putting on weight for winter. combined with movement to winter holding waters .
Also insect activities slow a little making hatch id a little easier. Most importantly imo bait fish will rank higher and higher as a food source as time passes. My take on the most wonderful time in the open water calendar. :sHa_shakeshout: now I just hope to get some time off to enjoy a few new/full moons. :)

caljouw2003
08-09-2014, 01:15 AM
Could you please explain how the next 10 months are the best for us noobs? Id really like to know how I can capitalize on it. Thanks!

He said the next 10 weeks, and you can capitalize on it by learning how to target the certain species of fish (I do believe he listed most of them) that start to hold up in the deeper pools in late summer and early fall.

boroumand8
08-10-2014, 07:21 PM
There are about 6 good lakes around red deer, a couple small rivers, and the red deer river. Look for access points on the rdr on google maps that's how I find good spots.

blackpheasant
08-10-2014, 08:00 PM
Fall is the best time of year to be fishing the Red Deer River...:)

The cooter
08-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Crippler1977 pm me we can make a plan. Ill take you and the kids out for some fun fishing on the boat if you are all up for it.