PDA

View Full Version : Travel rods?

trigger7mm
08-09-2014, 09:17 AM
Can anyone suggest a good travel rod that I can take with me on a plane. My wife and I went to Florida for a few days, and I didn't take a rod with me....big mistake. We did go out with a local guide for a day, but it would be nice to take my own outfit when I travel. Thanks for your help.

binnzer32
08-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Can anyone suggest a good travel rod that I can take with me on a plane. My wife and I went to Florida for a few days, and I didn't take a rod with me....big mistake. We did go out with a local guide for a day, but it would be nice to take my own outfit when I travel. Thanks for your help.

I don't think you will find a heavy enough rod for Florida in a pack style unless your fishing freshwater... they sell a 4 piece light blue fenwick, a black fenwick and a st Croix they are all $40-80 depending on sales. .. they are just a touch heavier than a ultralight though

Bushleague
08-09-2014, 03:45 PM
I don't think you will find a heavy enough rod for Florida in a pack style unless your fishing freshwater... they sell a 4 piece light blue fenwick, a black fenwick and a st Croix they are all $40-80 depending on sales. .. they are just a touch heavier than a ultralight though

I used a 6' takedown Uglystik last time I was in Florida, they call it a medium action but IMO its a lot closer to a medium heavy compared to my other Uglystik, all the joints stiffen it up quite a bit. IMO a med action rod will work for the majority of inshore species in Florida, and I even used mine for reef fishing on party boats and fishing off of the bridges in the keys with good success.

You might laugh but I've taken to using a takedown pushbutton spincasting rig if I'm only going to be fishing freshwater, it is quite a bit more compact than a spinning reel and spooled with 8 lb line it will work for most freshwater species.

That being said I've seen plenty of people stash a 2 piece 7' rods in the carry on without being given any trouble. If I was buying a rod specifically for a Florida trip I would buy a 2 piece Uglystik Tiger before I went, for some reason two piece rods suitable for saltwater can be hard to find down there, and pick up a Daiwa BG or Penn Spinfisher in Florida. Out there they seem to have an appreciation for rugged gear that is lacking in places that cater to freshwater fishermen.

RavYak
08-09-2014, 04:11 PM
It depends on what species you are going after, all the travel rods I have ever seen only went up to around MH which wouldn't be strong enough for some species of fish(if you plan on deep sea fishing etc).

I bought one of the Fenwick Methods travel rods. It is the one that comes with 2 middle sections and 2 tips so you can make 4 different rods depending on what you want. I bought the heavier setup so I can make either a medium or medium heavy power rod with either fast or moderate fast action. For the most part my favourite setup is medium heavy moderate fast although the medium is good too if I know I am targeting smaller fish.

I used this rod with a boca 30 reel down in Florida inshore fishing for Snook, Redfish and Spotted Sea Trout and it worked great for that.

I also just bought a 4 piece fenwick ML power rod that I like for trout. It would be good for panfish as well and I am looking forward to using it on some hike in trips for trout(haven't done one yet).

binnzer32
08-09-2014, 07:23 PM
I used a 6' takedown Uglystik last time I was in Florida, they call it a medium action but IMO its a lot closer to a medium heavy compared to my other Uglystik, all the joints stiffen it up quite a bit. IMO a med action rod will work for the majority of inshore species in Florida, and I even used mine for reef fishing on party boats and fishing off of the bridges in the keys with good success.

You might laugh but I've taken to using a takedown pushbutton spincasting rig if I'm only going to be fishing freshwater, it is quite a bit more compact than a spinning reel and spooled with 8 lb line it will work for most freshwater species.

That being said I've seen plenty of people stash a 2 piece 7' rods in the carry on without being given any trouble. If I was buying a rod specifically for a Florida trip I would buy a 2 piece Uglystik Tiger before I went, for some reason two piece rods suitable for saltwater can be hard to find down there, and pick up a Daiwa BG or Penn Spinfisher in Florida. Out there they seem to have an appreciation for rugged gear that is lacking in places that cater to freshwater fishermen.

Tonnes of cheaper rods in Florida....... buy a rod and bring it back as carry on. I do it all the time. .. used to fish Florida 4x a year

RavYak
08-09-2014, 07:36 PM
Yeah if you don't mind buying used stuff you can get some wicked deals on gear down there.

I was asked about transporting the fenwick methods in a pm. It only breaks down into 3 sections so the rod tube is around 30 inches long still. It just barely fit in the backpack I use for travelling, can easily be taken as a travel on item though if it won't fit in your suitcase.

FlYiNGuY
08-12-2014, 11:51 PM
LOTS of options out there now, while what is your looking to fish for isn't mentioned I use everything from a Shimano 4pc M, GLoomis 4pc MH, St. Croix Surf 4pc, and a TFO MH 3pc, all of these rods have at one point or another been a carryon with me on a flight to somewhere fishy.

I've noticed some stores in Calgary are finally stepping up to carry a few travel rods. If they can't get what you're looking for there are lots of websites in the us that carry anything you want.

http://www.foxsportfishing.com/catalogues-sections-products.php?section=1&catalogue=6

Tackledirect are great to deal with too.

Mackinaw
08-13-2014, 11:26 PM
Quantum telecast 6' med rod shrinks to 20"

Mack

THERICARDO
08-14-2014, 09:18 AM
I bought the St Croix medium action travel rod and paired it with Cabelas Saltwater reel... have been using for last 3 years and 14 trips for ocean shore fishing and flats fishing from kayak and such... Have caught everything from smaller hammerheads, snook, permit, amber jacks , cudas, grouper and numerous other small fish... Fun as hell and always gives me something to do as wife lays and bakes in the sun on vacation. Good luck and have fun!

LCCFisherman
08-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Tidemaster x 10!!