PDA

View Full Version : Why is lure fishing so popular in Canada?

DukesArcher
08-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Being from Europe I've never really done a whole deal of lure fishing in my life. The fishing methods over there are very different to over here, however that doesn't mean they are in the slightest bit better.

I'm quite enjoying the Canadian way of fishing, which to me seems like a whole lot of lure fishing, with some fly fishing also. I'm interested as to know why this type of fishing is so popular in the US and Canada? I understand that bass fishing is really big in the US? Like there are professional bass fisherman ect.

DA:)

RavYak
08-10-2014, 06:33 PM
I for one prefer lure fishing because I find bait fishing boring. I like to keep busy and trolling or casting a lure is the best way to do that.

fish gunner
08-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Privatization of game fish water in europe mostly. Course fish are easily accesable in most of europe hence more bait /match tactics. Not many canal species will hit lures. Regs also limit ground bait in most areas. Not sure in a match , lures would stack up with any success. Lots of pike, perch and trout anglers in europe. Imo .

DukesArcher
08-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Privatization of game fish water in europe mostly. Course fish are easily accesable in most of europe hence more bait /match tactics. Not many canal species will hit lures. Regs also limit ground bait in most areas. Not sure in a match , lures would stack up with any success. Lots of pike, perch and trout anglers in europe. Imo .

The privatisation of these waters makes game fishing not open for the majority of anglers.

BeeGuy
08-10-2014, 08:12 PM
Because we can. Lures

Because often we can't. Bait

Chumming is not permitted in Canada either.

jungleboy
08-10-2014, 08:44 PM
If everyone just used bait there would be no need for a 12 drawer tackle box . Fishing in North America is an industry unto itself with new lures and custom air brush lures hitting the shelves every year . Just like the new car lineup we have the new tackle line up every year .

BeeGuy
08-10-2014, 08:55 PM
Because we can. Lures

Because often we can't. Bait

Chumming is not permitted in Canada either.

Meant to write that chumming is not
Permitted in Alberta.

fish gunner
08-10-2014, 09:27 PM
If everyone just used bait there would be no need for a 12 drawer tackle box . Fishing in North America is an industry unto itself with new lures and custom air brush lures hitting the shelves every year . Just like the new car lineup we have the new tackle line up every year .

Mostly for catching anglers ..consume consume its a mantra. Unlike bait witch is a renewable resource.:)

BeeGuy
08-10-2014, 09:32 PM

I know exactly what you mean and to some degree I think that is true.

However, if all I used was bait, I would have 500 different styles and sizes of hooks. 100 styles and sizes or weights and about a suitcase full of floats, bite alarms, a dozen different types of rod holding apparati, bait deploying instruments, and so on.

....thank goodness for lures :thinking-006:

DukesArcher
08-10-2014, 09:46 PM
I know exactly what you mean and to some degree I think that is true.

However, if all I used was bait, I would have 500 different styles and sizes of hooks. 100 styles and sizes or weights and about a suitcase full of floats, bite alarms, a dozen different types of rod holding apparati, bait deploying instruments, and so on.

....thank goodness for lures :thinking-006:

I understand fully what you mean.

DukesArcher
08-10-2014, 09:50 PM
What would be a Good all round rod for catching a variety of small to mid sized species? I have a "big rod" for pike which I actually used when in Spain for shore casting, but it needs a good sized lure on it.

I need a rod for trout and perch, but also smalll jack fish if one presents itself.

BeeGuy
08-10-2014, 10:00 PM
6-7' spinning outfit. Light power, fast action.

7' will cast farther, but 6' is easier to bushwhack up small creeks with.

10 power pro line with a few leader options ranging from 4-20lb will land you almost anything.

Lund rebel
08-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Meant to write that chumming is not
Permitted in Alberta.

So when I throw in my chips ahoy cookies as a bait trail it's illegal :scared0018:

bobalong
08-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Being from Europe I've never really done a whole deal of lure fishing in my life. The fishing methods over there are very different to over here, however that doesn't mean they are in the slightest bit better.

I'm quite enjoying the Canadian way of fishing, which to me seems like a whole lot of lure fishing, with some fly fishing also. I'm interested as to know why this type of fishing is so popular in the US and Canada? I understand that bass fishing is really big in the US? Like there are professional bass fisherman ect.

DA:)

I probably fish 90 percent of the time using bait rigs. Total cost per rig is probably less than 1.00. Don't use it because its cheap, I use it because I can control the speed and depth of my presentation the best with bait rigs.

omega50
08-10-2014, 11:19 PM
I think in many ways Europe can be a slave to tradition.

ETOWNCANUCK
08-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Using lures makes it more of a sport in my opinion.

Trying to figure out what will work, what won't and that satisfactory feeling you get when you do get something to hit.

I'm not opposed to bait fishing, sometimes it is good to sit back and enjoy all that is around you.

DukesArcher
08-10-2014, 11:46 PM
WHat do you use for bite indication when bait fishing? I've never seen any bite alarms ect.

DukesArcher
08-10-2014, 11:48 PM
I probably fish 90 percent of the time using bait rigs. Total cost per rig is probably less than 1.00. Don't use it because its cheap, I use it because I can control the speed and depth of my presentation the best with bait rigs.

What do you use for bite indication when fishing your bait rigs?

ETOWNCANUCK
08-10-2014, 11:56 PM
WHat do you use for bite indication when bait fishing? I've never seen any bite alarms ect.

Watch the tip....

dopemop
08-10-2014, 11:57 PM
Small container of minnows $10 and last's a day. Three pack of spoons that cost the same amount can last for years.

DukesArcher
08-11-2014, 12:08 AM
Watch the tip....

What type of rod do bait fisherman tend to go with then?

Pikebreath
08-11-2014, 07:54 AM
Mortality rate from artificial lures and flies for many species is generally quite a bit lower than using bait . Catch and release has been catching on in popularity a lot longer in North America than in Europe.

Another thing to consider is generally North American fisheries are far more accessible for the average angler, and North American anglers have more places to fish as well,,, and while many would debate it here, fish stocks are reasonably abundant when compared to European fisheries. Artificial lures work their best where numbers of fish are relatively abundant. Bait often being the most effective means of fishing works better where numbers of fish may be lower. The availability and accessibility for the average North American angler to productive fisheries means anglers can use artificials and still enjoy decent success.

EZM
08-11-2014, 08:11 AM
Here's a scenario - you are in a three day tournament where on each day you can either use a bait or lures only ...... the prize is total combined weight of fish landed.

The first day is a Pike fishing contest ..... I'd suggest most anglers would choose lures to land more Pike.

On the second day, the contest is for catching Perch, I think most anglers would choose bait ....

The third day, the contest is for Walleye, you might have a 50/50 split ...

People tend to use the best technique that will yield the best results given the scenario they are in.

I don't often bait fish in open water. But that's because I can generally do better without it - and it's more interactive and fun.

HighRiver
08-11-2014, 08:17 AM
In Scandinavia flies and lures are gaining popularity. Bait is still king.

Geezle
08-11-2014, 08:24 AM
I don't often bait fish in open water. But that's because I can generally do better without it - and it's more interactive and fun.

This pretty much sums it up for me.

In the winter just about all a person can really do is bait fish, so when the lakes open up I like changing it up and tossing some hardware.

There are still cases where I will fish with bait in the open water season however. The most obvious one is when I'm fishing the NSR. That is a case where you can catch some fish using lures, however bait is typically more successful, and will give you the opportunity to perhaps catch a sturgeon while you're at it.

What type of rod do bait fisherman tend to go with then?

My river rods are the only ones that I have that are really dedicated to bait fishing. They're 8-9' long, medium heavy power, fast action, both with Abu Garcia C3 reels...basically light salmon gear. Sensitive enough to pick up light bites from goldeye or walleye but still with enough beef to haul in a sturgeon if the situation calls for it :)

pickrel pat
08-11-2014, 09:22 AM

I use bells and electronic beepers.

huntsfurfish
08-11-2014, 10:26 AM
Lures work. And generally allow you to cover more water. And as said use of bait may not be allowed.

Also no messing around with bait, keeping leeches and crawlers alive in storage etc.

bobalong
08-11-2014, 11:54 PM

In my previous post I was referring to fishing in the boat, but I also use bait rigs about the same percentage of time when shore fishing. In the boat I use gulp bait for pretty well all presentations with the exception of slip bobbin, when I use live leeches, in the river I use live leeches, crawlers and frozen minnows.
I watch the tip like mentioned but also hang a small double bell of the line about a third of the way down on the rod, depending on the length of rod I am using. Any touch on even slight pull on the line, drops the bell to the ground, get visual and audio signal.
You can see the bell on the rod in this pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/Fishing%20pics/IMG_1713Small.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bobalong/media/Fishing%20pics/IMG_1713Small.jpg.html)

Brandonkop
08-12-2014, 12:18 AM
The lures are more attractive to me... the shine and the color catches my eye and I snatch them off the shelf and empty my pocket at the till.

Dang lure companies catch me every time. I guess they don't mind fishing for "suckers."

fish gunner
08-12-2014, 12:42 AM
One drawer of my current tackle box is worth 2-5times my total terminal tackle I fished in europe for 7odd yearz with . 2 Pringles containers of floats ,a tupperware box of hooks and leader rigs .2 drrenan solitshot assoerments ... and a hand full of feeders and carp helicopter rigs. My canal pole on the other hand was 1500 £ at 10 meters is was a decent amature set up . One guy I fished matches against had five poles and three top of the line bait runner shimano setups at all times pushing 10000 £ with out a tackle box or a hook .