PDA

View Full Version : North Saskatchewan River Fishing

CanuckAngler11
08-11-2014, 03:23 PM
So I am going out to the NSR by fort sask. In the morning and wanted to find out how the fishing is right now and what kind of setups to use out there for walleye and whatever else is out there. any help would be great!

THERICARDO
08-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Nsr cant go wrong with pickeral rig and minnows or worms... If you are going to target Sturgeon I suggest you use search function and some threads on setup to use to keep as strain on fish as low as possible..

good luck

Graffy91
08-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Nsr cant go wrong with pickeral rig and minnows or worms... If you are going to target Sturgeon I suggest you use search function and some threads on setup to use to keep as strain on fish as low as possible..

good luck

Or just go to Legends... :sHa_sarcasticlol:

But no, seriously, Sturgeon fishing is good around Genessee and east of Edmonton. Lots of people have holes around the east.

Like ricardo said, it depends what you are trying to catch.

But a pickerel rig, minnows, 3 oz weights will catch everything in the river.

BGSH
08-11-2014, 07:36 PM
sliding weight, back eddys, parkers minnows or worms you, if you don't want to sit there and wait with bait I suggest a 1 or 2 inch black jig reel in slow off bottom and you will get some walleye in the back eddys, outfalls ect.. have fun.

Lund rebel
08-11-2014, 08:15 PM
After this weekend and spending 12 hrs fishing the river and looking like fools we collectively came to the conclusion the river July killed.

Pick up some northlands him drop floaters, I have caught a pile of species on them.

Good luck and just be aware of potential dangers on and around the river, quick sand holes and large wildlife.

Og Dumi
08-11-2014, 08:45 PM
So I am going out to the NSR by fort sask. In the morning and wanted to find out how the fishing is right now and what kind of setups to use out there for walleye and whatever else is out there. any help would be great!

I've been fishing the river a lot lately and noticed that it is very slow troughout the day, either go super early or sunset and into the night. Worms & Minows.

CanuckAngler11
08-12-2014, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the advice I am going out pretty soon! I'll say if I had any luck later!

chrisco81
08-12-2014, 09:12 AM
River is very slow latly, went out a few times within the last week around Hermatage and a few spots downtown and only caught 1 little sauger on a 5 of dimonds in that time at Hermatage. Can't wait till next month things will get better.

Poppa
08-12-2014, 10:00 AM
Another question for folks who live in and around Edmonton! I noticed someone talking about accessing the river from downtown. I'm going to be in Edmonton for a business conference in September and will be at the Courtyard by Marriott downtown for 4 days. I know the hotel backs on to the river, but not sure what my easiest way of accessing the river by shore is. Is there anyone familiar with this area that could tell me the best way of getting to the river for some shore fishing from there?

Thanks very much in advance! :)

CanuckAngler11
08-12-2014, 11:51 AM
So far no luck today I've tried a pickerel rig and a five of diamonds so far. Going to a different spot now I was at legends before.

Og Dumi
08-12-2014, 03:12 PM
So far no luck today I've tried a pickerel rig and a five of diamonds so far. Going to a different spot now I was at legends before.

Suprized you had no luck there, try a p rig with a minow up top and a warm on the bottom, lots of patiences goes a long way this time of year.

CanuckAngler11
08-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Where are the best spots along that beach by legends?

Og Dumi
08-12-2014, 07:34 PM
Where are the best spots along that beach by legends?

Where the guys drive there trucks down close to the water or directly across from the road down to the river is where I've had luck.

Safety D
08-13-2014, 09:32 AM
Its ALIVE right now !!!!!

CanuckAngler11
08-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Has anybody fished the sturgeon river near lamoreaux? If so what works?

YeeHaw
08-14-2014, 12:53 PM
Has anybody fished the sturgeon river near lamoreaux? If so what works?

Anything and almost everything. Spoons, jigs, rigs.

CanuckAngler11
08-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Thanks and is it good to go by lamoureaux where it drains into the nsr

The cooter
08-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Thanks and is it good to go by lamoureaux where it drains into the nsr

Water levels are low and its going to be a little more challenging. But you will catch. go to the mouth there is a 9ft hole in there I've pulled wallys and pike form there. Good luck.

Lund rebel
08-14-2014, 03:19 PM
Best is not get discouraged, I just spent 7 hours fishing a hole that is known to produce fish and didn't do very well at all. Fishing in the river is and can be very hit and miss.

CanadianBadass
08-14-2014, 05:59 PM
The Science park area has been doing pretty good I hear ! :fishing: :sign0111: Just look at where the boats are parked in that area in go for a hike ! Hope that helps !

look for Current seams and slow deep water ! That is usually what I look for while fishing the river !

chriscosta
08-15-2014, 01:00 AM
I been down on tbe river every night for the past 3 weeks ...usually start getting bites at 9:30 ..10 ...and then it stays steady ... like a fish every 20 min or so till about 1:00..been getting goldeye ..a mooneye ..walleye .. and sauger ... no suckers or sturgeon dam it lol

tigerharry
07-16-2015, 11:30 AM
Here are a few great fishing spots along North Saskatchewan River and some good pictures of walleye and sauger. I typically use dropshot rig (less snags) and either soft plastic lures or live worms. The lures works well for walleye and pike. And the worms work for a variety of fish species.

http://www.thecampfiretime.com/where-and-how-to-fish-north-saskatchewan-river-within-the-edmonton-city-limit/

FlyTheory
07-16-2015, 02:01 PM
Here are a few great fishing spots along North Saskatchewan River and some good pictures of walleye and sauger. I typically use dropshot rig (less snags) and either soft plastic lures or live worms. The lures works well for walleye and pike. And the worms work for a variety of fish species.

http://www.thecampfiretime.com/where-and-how-to-fish-north-saskatchewan-river-within-the-edmonton-city-limit/

That's a very in depth article for sure!

FreshAirGetter
07-16-2015, 02:20 PM
Yeah, great info Tiger!