PDA

View Full Version : Bullet selection for a 30-06

deanmc
11-16-2008, 12:11 AM
I bought a Remington 760 30-06 and after an hour at the range I love it!:) After shooting my old .303 for 15 years I was really starting to wonder if I should just give up hunting. I cleaned it with copper cleaner before i even fired it and using ten year old federal cheapo ammo my second and third groups were both entirely inside the 1 inch bullseye at 100 yards (with holes touching in the last one):).

I have never handloaded but my father-in-law does and has a 30-06. Gun came with 150+ rounds of once fired brass. I suspect this question may bring more debate than answers but I will ask it anyway.

Forget powder and primers I will use whatever pop-in-law is using. What kind of bullet is best for deer, moose, and elk? Do boatails really make that much difference? I know i said i dont take long range shots but I have new confidence now so i say 300 yards will not be out of the question anymore.

Thank's for advice.

Dean

Scott N
11-16-2008, 04:37 AM
There really isn't a "best" bullet on the market, but many hunters have their favorites for different reasons. I've been using the Barnes TSX bullets for the last few years and they have become my favorite hunting bullet. Other good hunting bullets include the Nosler Partition, Ballistic Tip, and AccuBond. Hornady has the Interbond and Interlock. Speer has the Grand Slam. In all honesty just about any bullet 150 grains or heavier has the potential to be a good bullet out of your rifle. You might want to try a few different ones to find how which one shoots accurately out of your rifle. I'm sure a few other guys will share their favorite bullets with you and why they like them.

The "premium" bullets aren't necessary... guys have been killing game with regular cup / core bullets for decades. Still, the bullet is the cheapest part of hunt, and using a good bullet like the TSX gives me a little more confidence, especially hunting for larger critters like elk or moose. Shot placement is always key of course... an animal shot in the vitals with a plain old Remington Core-lokt bullet is going to be just as dead as one shot in the vitals with a TSX. A premium bullet might give you a little more penetration if your shot is a quartering one though.

Since you want to hunt a variety of species, I think you are better off with a heavier bullet, I would go with a 180 grains myself for my 30-06. The two bullets I would suggest for you to try first would be the 180 gr Nosler Partition or the 165 gr Barnes TSX. If either of those shoot well from your rifle, your good to go for deer, elk, and moose.

Yes, boattails make a difference, but at 300 yards, you will not notice any advantage over a flat base bullet. You won't notice a difference with them until the range gets pretty far, probably farther than the average hunter will be shooting.

You'll enjoy reloading I'm sure, it's a great hobby, and I'm sure your father in law will be more than happy to pass on his knowledge to you.

catnthehat
11-16-2008, 05:35 AM
I have loaded the '06 for two different fellas that shot 760's, one with 180 Speer hot cores and the other with 165 grain Seirra game Kings.
Both have killed moose , bears and deer with them, neither uses a second shot.

Both swear that their bullets "are the best".
They don't know each other either!
So there you go, 180 or 165, take your pick of bullets, but make sure you can shoot your rifle well!:lol:
Cat

Selkirk
11-16-2008, 12:25 PM
"There really isn't a "best" bullet . . . "

A-gree! Scott offeres some excellent advice (2nd post). Much depends on what bullet the rifle shoots best with, the game/terrain/conditions of the day, shooting skill, etc., etc. ... . For hunting, you usually have to end up picking a bullet that works best in your rifle, for the 'average' of a number of different conditions/situations.

Have fun reloading with your father-in-law!

Dean (my name too!) :wave:

P.S.
Did you notice much of an increase in recoil,
going from a .303 to a .30-06?

deanmc
11-16-2008, 06:43 PM
P.S.
Did you notice much of an increase in recoil,
going from a .303 to a .30-06?

I suppose it pokes a tiny bit harder but the gun seems to fit me better so it is more comfortable to shoot.

MK2750
11-16-2008, 07:25 PM
I suppose it pokes a tiny bit harder but the gun seems to fit me better so it is more comfortable to shoot.

What ever happened to that 303 in your last thread? Your final post said you were heading to the range.

EagleEye54
11-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Go with a premium bulllet like a Nosler Partition. They work up close and they work down range. No blow ups and good penetration. Any of the new bonded bullets are also great. I like the Hornady Interbond but used to always use Partitions with great success. Size wise, the 165 or 180 grain would do the job as a one bullet for one gun solution for deer up to moose.

deanmc
11-23-2008, 01:51 AM
What ever happened to that 303 in your last thread? Your final post said you were heading to the range.

I followed advice on the thread and used a good copper cleaner first. Bought a box of remington 180 gr. Federal power 180gr, And federal power 150gr.

First shots at range where very discouraging:mad3: off both sides of paper on a 18 inch target @ 100 yrds. i have read on this board some guns need to foul a bit before they tighten up. So I kept shooting and the groups began to close up.

I spent 2.5 hours to shoot 60 rounds on a very cold day . Letting barrel and nipples cool after every 3 shot grouping per advise of local gun guy. Took the old .22 to shoot between groups(It outshot the .303 at 100 yards btw).But i suspect it will not kill a moose.:lol:

To make a long story a little less long :lol: at the end of the range session i was out of ammo (used 150 gr simply to foul bore) but was down to 2" groups. I would love to get that gun in a shooting vise because it seems my groups are off more verticaly:(

It has a custom stock that seems to be made for a sasquatch! My new to me -06 is like an extention of my arm compared to the clumbsy old .303

Groups would likely tighten more with a stock that fit me better. I was within an inch moa horizontaly.

Nosler Partition i will try ty. Is there a sample pack of bullets to try? i dont mind to buy it but i dont want to buy 100 bullets that wont shoot throught my gun. I would love to pretend price is no object but I was never good at lying to people.:o

Vindalbakken
11-23-2008, 10:00 AM
165 Sierra Game King Boattail. Kills anything out as far as you are comfortable shooting.

Nosler partitions are good if you aren't going long range.