PDA

View Full Version : walleye colors

Levi74
08-12-2014, 10:36 PM
Hi People,

I was hoping for some help. Why is it that some walleye have very light green (almost silver) back and sides with a white underbelly,whereas others are almost black on the sides and top with a yellow underbelly. I've always liked the look of the darker colored ones and was wondering about why there were differences. Different water properties? Health of fish? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

cube
08-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Hi People,

I was hoping for some help. Why is it that some walleye have very light green (almost silver) back and sides with a white underbelly,whereas others are almost black on the sides and top with a yellow underbelly. I've always liked the look of the darker colored ones and was wondering about why there were differences. Different water properties? Health of fish? Any ideas?

Walleye have the ability to change color to match their surroundings. Take one of those darker walleye and put them into a white live well and leave the lid open just a crack and see what happens. They will turn a very light green. You also see this in muddy waters etc.

Mackinaw
08-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Hi People,

Their habitat is the biggest effect on color

Mack