PDA

View Full Version : Types of Stocked fish (rainbow trout)

spinN'flyfish
08-13-2014, 12:41 AM
I checked the stock reports of this year and I see that they have stocked triploids fish (3N) the most. Does this mean the fish are genetically modified? If no how can they obtain these fish? I curious to know...... for I have caught some juveniles in stocked ponds such as Mt. Lorette ponds long ago

Brandonkop
08-13-2014, 01:09 AM
Most living things are diploids, meaning two sets of chromosomes. One set from both parents. A Triploid is created when one extra set of chromosomes is retained so you have three sets. This extra set is usually naturally excluded from the cell. To create a triploid the eggs usually undergo a pressure, shock or heat treatment from what I've read. This can also happen in nature as well. I've heard some people speculate many world record fish are actually naturally occurring triploids.

Triploids are sterile and do not go through usual egg and milt production and do not have spawning behavior apparently. Therefore all their energy goes directly to putting fat on their gut turning them into monsters faster then the diploids.

It is a type of genetic modification, but nothing is really added as far as other genes. Just an extra set of chromosomes. Also better for the environment as these fish do not spawn with native fish preventing contamination of wild genetics.

goldscud
08-13-2014, 06:50 AM
Male triploids will still color up and show some spawning behavior even though they don't produce sperm. Females stay nice and chrome and don't suffer egg-bound conditions. Triploids tend to live longer and grow bigger than diploids

slamilton
08-13-2014, 08:01 AM
Interesting, never knew much about this.

spinN'flyfish
08-13-2014, 11:27 AM
Most living things are diploids, meaning two sets of chromosomes. One set from both parents. A Triploid is created when one extra set of chromosomes is retained so you have three sets. This extra set is usually naturally excluded from the cell. To create a triploid the eggs usually undergo a pressure, shock or heat treatment from what I've read. This can also happen in nature as well. I've heard some people speculate many world record fish are actually naturally occurring triploids.

Triploids are sterile and do not go through usual egg and milt production and do not have spawning behavior apparently. Therefore all their energy goes directly to putting fat on their gut turning them into monsters faster then the diploids.

It is a type of genetic modification, but nothing is really added as far as other genes. Just an extra set of chromosomes. Also better for the environment as these fish do not spawn with native fish preventing contamination of wild genetics.

I see thanks for telling me I find this pretty interesting

dean2287
08-13-2014, 04:23 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5f9n6J4TF7Y/R57q4R2nsQI/AAAAAAAAAAQ/xGjCPyOvd5M/s320/fish-with-hands_3rdeye.jpg

MoFugger21
08-13-2014, 05:48 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_5f9n6J4TF7Y/R57q4R2nsQI/AAAAAAAAAAQ/xGjCPyOvd5M/s320/fish-with-hands_3rdeye.jpg

Oddly enough, I caught one of those in Frank Lake last week... :)

Deep
08-14-2014, 07:54 PM
Excellent reply Brandonkop.....Could not have said it any better.