PDA

View Full Version : Slick brass cleaner

sbtennex
11-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Girlfriend dumped out my liquid Lyman brass cleaner by accident. (Might explain the sudden need for a whole lot of Septo-Bac). Dumped a 1/4 cup of Electrosol powdered dishwasher soap in 1/2 a quart sealer jar of warm water, threw it in the blender and dissolved all the soap it would take, let it settle and skimmed off the water. Tossed a few brass in the water for a couple minutes, agitated them a bit then rinsed them off in hot water. Can't believe how they cleaned up - not super shiny, but the felt pen (I write a lot of stuff on my reloaded brass) wiped off like nothing. Very very clean. I use Brasso to polish loaded ammo up anyway when I'm bored, so lack of brilliant shine doesn't matter.

Predator
11-16-2008, 04:37 PM
I had heard that Brasso and cartridges were a big no-no as the Brasso makes cartidges brittle. It has to do with the ammonia in it. Quickest link I could find with some mention of this is here:http://www.gunloads.com/castboolits/showthread.php?p=256784 Hope this helps.

sbtennex
11-16-2008, 08:22 PM
I had heard that Brasso and cartridges were a big no-no as the Brasso makes cartidges brittle. It has to do with the ammonia in it. Quickest link I could find with some mention of this is here:http://www.gunloads.com/castboolits/showthread.php?p=256784 Hope this helps.

Key to quick brass cleaners is that they're highly alkaline and that's why the DW detergent did what it did. The surfactants in the soap that remove the particulates I think made the rinse so effective. Brasso applied and wiped off quickly can't have the time it would require to harden cases. It's a fast way to shine cases and remove the black marker writing off the case. Nonetheless, the DW stuff did such a clean job I don't think I'll be needing the Brasso anymore. Time will tell, but marketing being what it is I'm sure that any easy and cheap alternative to brand name and expensive solutions would be immediately written off as either damaging or ineffective. I don't think that Grandma was always wrong in her home-brewed remedies!!