PDA

View Full Version : Rapala

Stally77
08-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Anyone else find that the quality of rapala is dropping?
I have spent $100 plus dollars on clacking raps and some deeper diving cranks lately and have found that after 3 or so catches the back treble hook has been pulling out. At $9-$13 a hook I feel like I'm getting ripped off!

Tigger72
08-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Agree!! I have nothing but great luck with the orange X-Rap catches everything !! Unfortunately I'm on my third one this season both have cracked at the last hook... seems like they may be getting a little cheaper on production cost for more profit. It'll be interesting to see how my $15 live target bait ball hold up!

EZM
08-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Rapala went from a high quality company, based in Finland, to a massive global company buying up all sorts of product lines and other companies and now, instead of producing high quality lures and knifes, they make everything from apparel, rods, reels, electronics etc... branded under a variety of names.

They are also manufacturing in low cost labor markets in Asia where quality is a problem.

Some components like rings, hooks and polymers have been replaced with cheaper components resulting in higher margins for the company but poorer quality products for the consumer.

You are 100% right and Rapala's growth strategy and aggressive growth and profit mandate is to blame.

TROLLER
08-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Seems they have gone the way of Chubby Darter, great lure with the cheapest hooks available.

Buy some decent trebles and replace the cheapo's that is what I have done and have actually gotten some barbless.

Putting on some decent hooks is a real cheap fix.

dodger
08-17-2014, 03:15 PM
I find this totally frustrating on several levels. First off I always went by the rule that " you get what you pay for ". Now this is no longer the case as it's all being made cheap !

My jig hooks are straightening out, my clasps on my leaders are breaking, and my new raps the hooks have pulled out or have broken. I purchased the same brands this last winter to find out none of them are as good as they were just 2 years ago.

I have lost some big fish this year due to the lousy quality of the so called quality manufacturers.

Whew, rant over. Going for a beer now.

Dodger.

Bushleague
08-17-2014, 03:28 PM
I havent bought a Rap in a few years, but even a few years back the only Rapalas I would purchase were the balsa wood ones.

I more or less quit using them simply because I got frustrated when any time they bought up any other lure brand the quality would drop, patterns would be dumbed down, favorite lures would be "updated" and quit working. The fact that they are now doing this to their own brand is beyond predictable.

Another reason to fish and purchase Len Thompson as much as you can IMO.

RavYak
08-17-2014, 09:48 PM
I don't think their quality is dropping, I do have the odd lure that breaks but no more then I would expect and usually it is due to getting caught up in the net or the fish throwing itself when I am trying to remove the hook etc.

I only use one of the clackin rap models and I did have one of the back hooks pull out so there may have been a bad batch of them at some point(although mine was a year old and had already caught probably at least 60 fish).

My biggest problem with my rapalas is that the fish like them too much and they get too beat up from catching too many fish... lol

Geezle
08-18-2014, 08:08 AM
Rapala went from a high quality company, based in Finland, to a massive global company buying up all sorts of product lines and other companies and now, instead of producing high quality lures and knifes, they make everything from apparel, rods, reels, electronics etc... branded under a variety of names.

They are also manufacturing in low cost labor markets in Asia where quality is a problem.

Some components like rings, hooks and polymers have been replaced with cheaper components resulting in higher margins for the company but poorer quality products for the consumer.

You are 100% right and Rapala's growth strategy and aggressive growth and profit mandate is to blame.

I think this sums it up pretty well...they're getting too big for their own good :o

I've really noticed in the past couple years that their component quality has tanked. It's incredibly disappointing for the money these things are worth to have hooks snap at the shank, or split rings come apart so the hook is lost entirely.

Some of the bodies aren't as durable as they once were either. This hook belonging to another member was brand new and had only caught a handful of fish before the paint peeled right off it.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/SAM_0111_zpse37386bd.jpg

jeprli
08-18-2014, 08:19 AM
Lost a giant northern at PCR few years ago due to a glass fat rap splitting at rear hook. Don't mind the lost fish but fish swimming away with a treble in its mouth I do.

Jointed balsa rap, tail section comes loose and slides on wire, few fish and it's done.

Flat rap, I've bought a bunch and they work great, but I lost count how many lips I've broken, fish did.

Rap ala used to make good lures, I have two Finland made 13cm jointed lures that perform as good as they did 25 years ago.

I've noticed Yo-ZURI lures at CT, got me popper and a suspending jerkbait, so far super happy, these lures are built to last with super sticky trebles.

I don't fish much with lures anymore, but if I'm buying some Japanese it is. Price is a bit higher but you definitely get what you paid for.

huntsfurfish
08-18-2014, 08:59 AM

Agree!

Poppa
08-18-2014, 09:32 AM
So if not Rapala, what's the go-to crank bait instead?

58thecat
08-18-2014, 09:33 AM
52 northerns to date caught on the same 4" x-rap. Back hook broke because I had the pliers on it while the fish thrashed and broke a hook. Chewed up really bad but still has all the colors.:)

EZM
08-18-2014, 10:12 AM
So if not Rapala, what's the go-to crank bait instead?

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/navigate.php/nav_id/6

I order my stuff from Rollie and Helen's Musky shop. I see now that both TFH and Cabelas's is starting to carry some of these brands.

Many of these brands have 3 coil wolverine split rings, high quality, super stron hooks and paint finishes that last through hundreds of pike.

My favorite lures ....... ( for pike ) ......

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/34/page/1/id/199/name/BucherShallowRaider

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/92/page/1/id/672/name/DrifterManiaLilErnie

These are high quality, work well, and catch fish.

RavYak
08-18-2014, 10:27 AM
Are others actually having these issues commonly or just once in a while? Reading some of the responses you would think it was very common these things just fall apart. While I will agree that trebles breaking, paint chipping off(not like the one above mind you) and even the odd lure breaking does happen somewhat regularly but it is usually due to regular wear and tear or abuse by me or the fish. For example the one clackin rap that the back hook broke out of was due to the fish thrashing while the hook was caught in the net.

Honestly I can only think of 1 truly defective rapala that I have bought in the past 2 years and I use Rapalas for probably 90% of my pike and walleye fishing.

pinelakeperch
08-18-2014, 11:54 AM
I've had a few trebles fall off after catching dozens of smallies, with my luck, one will fall off while fighting a monster walleye!

dodger
08-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Are others actually having these issues commonly or just once in a while? Reading some of the responses you would think it was very common these things just fall apart. While I will agree that trebles breaking, paint chipping off(not like the one above mind you) and even the odd lure breaking does happen somewhat regularly but it is usually due to regular wear and tear or abuse by me or the fish. For example the one clackin rap that the back hook broke out of was due to the fish thrashing while the hook was caught in the net.

Honestly I can only think of 1 truly defective rapala that I have bought in the past 2 years and I use Rapalas for probably 90% of my pike and walleye fishing.

I have a ton of Rattlin Raps that are 7-8 years old and beat to crap from Pike. Other than looking bad no problems with them and they still catch a ton of Pike. Last Christmas I get a ton of Bass Pro cards so I top up with new gear. Same patterns, same size, but they have had numerous failures so back to the old Raps.

I buy new titanium leaders as the ones I have are close to 5 years old. Same brand, same size, and I have lost several fish due to failure of the split rings or clasps!!

Just as another member has mentioned, I have no problem loosing the gear but I get really upset that a nice healthy Pike now has a lure stuck in his mouth. So this winter I am going to make my own leaders and try and source a quality Rattlin product. Even if I need to order from overseas or from the U.S. I will find someone who manufactures a quality product.

Dodger.

Wes_G
08-18-2014, 08:54 PM
Not that I am defending them, but if you guys have quality concerns, you should email, or better yet, write the company. There is nothing more that these companies love then receiving negative feedback about there products.

Geezle
08-19-2014, 08:08 AM

Depends what you consider 'commonly'

This season I've probably had around a half dozen where a hook broke off the shank, and another 3-4 where a split ring opened up and the hook and ring are gone entirely.

With lures that have this happen to them I'll eventually replace the split ring and treble, but it's still a pain in the arse...especially if you bork the 'hot lure' for the day and have to take time out to fix it.

A guy could go through and replace all the split rings and trebles, but that could be a time consuming and potentially fairly expensive endeavor...maybe a winter project? :thinking-006:

RavYak
08-19-2014, 09:49 AM
Depends what you consider 'commonly'

This season I've probably had around a half dozen where a hook broke off the shank, and another 3-4 where a split ring opened up and the hook and ring are gone entirely.

With lures that have this happen to them I'll eventually replace the split ring and treble, but it's still a pain in the arse...especially if you bork the 'hot lure' for the day and have to take time out to fix it.

A guy could go through and replace all the split rings and trebles, but that could be a time consuming and potentially fairly expensive endeavor...maybe a winter project? :thinking-006:

Usually broke during fish handling or broke and missing once you get the lure in?

I have had multiple trebles break points off this season but I don't consider it poor materials or craftsmanship. It usually happens during handling(getting caught in net or when removing hook with pliers) and I have never had a treble that will neither break or bend in those situations.

I have had 2 lures where the whole treble has gone missing this season, one broke in the net so was a handling issue and the other must have been under an amazing amount of force as it twisted the whole mounting loop before the split ring gave way. From my experience I just can't blame this on Rapala as I have used much worse trebles and split rings on some other cheaper lures.

RavYak
08-19-2014, 09:50 AM
On a side note what is a quality replacement treble that you guys use? I continue to fish with broken trebles or steal from other lures that are either damaged or that I don't use.

dshot
08-19-2014, 02:32 PM
The new scatter rap floating rapalas have been very hit and miss, I had one that lasted probably close to 400 walleye this summer before a pike ripped the wire clean out. I tied on a new one and the lip busted trolling in the first 5 min, line went slack no bites just fell off. Also noticed in bass pro that a few packs of the scatter raps had lips already busted off sitting on the shelves. So its either hit or miss quality or just how they have been handled from the factory.
either way at 10$ a pop they shouldnt be breaking easily

EZM
08-20-2014, 05:24 PM
Totally disagree RAV ...... there is NO DOUBT in my mind the quality of Rapala has gone way down hill while the prices remain at a PREMIUM.

Just compare your old one to your new ones - thinner rings, less wraps, smaller thinner wire gauge on hooks, and clear polymer lip "cloudier" suggesting poorer (lower EVA) resins .....

I find myself buying less and less Rapala lures and trying other brands.

I think they should be re-named to CRAPALA ....

dodger
08-20-2014, 05:38 PM
Totally disagree RAV ...... there is NO DOUBT in my mind the quality of Rapala has gone way down hill while the prices remain at a PREMIUM.

Just compare your old one to your new ones - thinner rings, less wraps, smaller thinner wire gauge on hooks, and clear polymer lip "cloudier" suggesting poorer (lower EVA) resins .....

CRAPALA -hahahaha !!

Anyone have a suggestion for a quality clasp that's not the size of a Volkswagon? I am going to source out the Wolverine split rings you mentioned EZM.

Dodger.

RavYak
08-20-2014, 09:18 PM

I honestly haven't noticed any difference in the last 3-4 years. Before that maybe they were significantly better but I don't know as I wasn't as serious about fishing then. I still haven't found any other brand I prefer over rapala... No one even comes close to a few of the rapala lures that I prefer...