PDA

View Full Version : below dickson dam fishn'

spinN'flyfish
08-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Heard in Edmonton that the fishing under the dam is good. Any tips on Goldeye, Burbot, rockies and trout? I know the walleye and pike are big and I d use jigs and maybe spoons. What im really wanting is to catch a few whites on the fly. Any recommended flies for this river?

Red Bullets
08-19-2014, 12:34 PM
Heard in Edmonton that the fishing under the dam is good. Any tips on Goldeye, Burbot, rockies and trout? I know the walleye and pike are big and I d use jigs and maybe spoons. What im really wanting is to catch a few whites on the fly. Any recommended flies for this river?

Whitefish like white flies. Maggots too if allowed.
Rapalas might be good for for the trout, walleye, and pike.

Poppa
08-19-2014, 01:06 PM
Glad to hear Dickson is producing. I live in Olds and have been hoping to head up there since its such a short drive. Would love to get into some solid shore fishing pike action...

spinN'flyfish
08-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Whitefish like white flies. Maggots too if allowed.
Rapalas might be good for for the trout, walleye, and pike.

Would white dries work? I also have a woolly bugger, if it'd work for this river. Would an egg pattern work, I've got some. I would use also use a bh prince nymph but they resemble stonefly nymphs but no stoneflies hatching now

boner54
08-19-2014, 01:35 PM
BH prince always work, and stone nymphs are in the water year round. Blood worm also work great as does a worm fly (Lite pink or beige rubber band wrapped in the hook with red thread ribbing and a small tapered piece of elastice band left for tail)

Red Bullets
08-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Would white dries work? I also have a woolly bugger, if it'd work for this river. Would an egg pattern work, I've got some. I would use also use a bh prince nymph but they resemble stonefly nymphs but no stoneflies hatching now

River whites aren't on the surface unless there is a hatch coming up. The Rocky mtn. whitefish seem to hold lower in the water. I have used flies (instead of baithooks) on a pikeral rig and bottom bounced with some success too.

spinN'flyfish
08-23-2014, 07:36 PM
Thanks everyone hope to head out if Im free this week. Could'nt find the schedule of the dam at the tranalta website, looking to find it so i won't need to take an unexpected swim at certain times

Red Bullets
08-23-2014, 09:35 PM
The water won't fluctuate that much unless something crazy happens.

spinN'flyfish
08-23-2014, 09:43 PM
The water won't fluctuate that much unless something crazy happens.

okay good. I understand now that it is not like ghost dam that fluctuates alot because of hydro power generation

jacenbeers
08-23-2014, 10:33 PM
okay good. I understand now that it is not like ghost dam that fluctuates alot because of hydro power generation

Still trolling?

spinN'flyfish
08-24-2014, 11:23 AM
Still trolling?

of course not, I'm being serious buddy

Adwittoutdoors
08-24-2014, 01:16 PM
So was Epic :sHa_sarcasticlol: