PDA

View Full Version : Newby Questions.

Skoaltender
08-22-2014, 12:08 PM
As stated, I am not good at fishing & don't expect to be very good. But what I am asking is for help on what I should do that would give me the best chance and catching some walleye.
I fish in the NSR near the city dump. I have been using a pickerel and usiong various rubber worms/maggots on my hook with very little success.
I am not asking for your secrets or hotspots I would just like to know if I am doing anything wrong or should try something new. So far I have been out 5 times this year with only 1 walleye caught.

AK47
08-22-2014, 12:14 PM
You mean pickerel rig? The one from store with wire leaders and pre tied terrible quality hooks? Those are not the best for walleye to be honest. And if you targeting them use minnows instead of worms or maggots.

This is not exactly what I use but pretty similar. Much better sensitivity than pickerel rigs.

http://www.surecatch.com/scatch/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Apollo_Rig_Diagram-e1301222912473.png

Skoaltender
08-22-2014, 12:16 PM
Yes, sorry meant to say pickerel rig.

Poppa
08-22-2014, 01:41 PM
Yes, sorry meant to say pickerel rig.You'd be fine with a pickerel rig, but don't use fake bait. Go for frozen minnows and you'll have much better luck...