PDA

View Full Version : my first coyote!!

tth_12032
11-18-2008, 11:16 PM
I drove to the south shore of Lesser Slave Lake last weekend to try to fill a calf moose tag. The calf moose walked away from it all unscathed but that is neither here nor there.

When I was scoping out a small clearing in a forest I noticed a coyote on the hunt upwind of me. I stayed low in the grass humps and observed him through my binoculars. He slowly worked his way toward me. It was an especially cold morning and I had decided to wear my warm, down filled city jacket in the bush. As I hunched down my face was shielded from the bitting wind by the coyote fur trimmed hood. I had had no intention of shooting a
coyote before because I only ever felt that I should kill what I could use. But then it dawned on me that I was using coyote fur and I was being quite a hypocrite to withdraw from harvesting my own fur.

One of the main reasons I like to hunt is to feel connected to the land and be reminded of my place in the circle of life. Our very existence requires death and when do we appreciate the value of life more than when we observe and are personally responsible for the death that is necessary for our existence.

I slowly brought my right knee up to rest on. I put my scope crosshairs just below his elbow, took a deep breath, and gently squeezed. He collapsed, dead on impact. I got up and worked my way around the beaver pond to his side. He was further out on the ice than I had realized so lay down on my stomach and crawled out to him. Before pulling him in by the legs I watched his chest to be certain he was dead. The last thing I wanted was for
not-quite-dead coyote to pounce on me while I lay face down on thin ice!

As I examined him I decided that I best not use a .270 with 150 grain bullets to harvest a coyote again. The exit wound had blown a 2" hole through his fur and blood covered much of him. I skinned him that afternoon and learnt a valuable lesson about frozen tarps and sharp knife blades that my thumb won't forget (see picture). Then I gave him a good snow bath and a real bath today with a mild detergent. Luckily I am going out with a trapper
this weekend who offered to help me flesh him out and I have a good brother who's willing to help me finish processing him at Christmas. Considering the big hole and the fact that he is my first, I think I'll keep his pelt all to myself after he's processed.

Now who has a good recipe for coyote backstraps and hamstrings?

Tiarella

Bushmaster
11-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Congrats on your first coyote....he's a nice sized one. Is he missing the hair on the start of his tail (looks like it in the last pic) ??

And the bullet hole should be easy to fix....cut a diamond shaped hole, in essence, cutting out the entire bullet hole and sew the diamond back together.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
11-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Congrats good looking critter , keep up the fine work.

tth_12032
11-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Congrats on your first coyote....he's a nice sized one. Is he missing the hair on the start of his tail (looks like it in the last pic) ??

It does look that way but nope. Might have just been that I had twisted the tail so you can see where I opened his tail up.

Bushmaster
11-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Thats good....he'll make a nice wall hanging.

I'm not sure exactly how you plan to prep him but don't be afraid to put a little Downy in the wash cycle.

JohninAB
11-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Nice yote, congrats.

Leverboy
11-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Awesome great job!!!

Rockyhunter
11-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Good job and a good read too. :)

tth_12032
11-19-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure exactly how you plan to prep him but don't be afraid to put a little Downy in the wash cycle.

After reading the article that someone posted earlier (http://www.furharvesters.com/PDF/pelthandling.pdf) I decided to give him a wash. I put him in the washing machine and added some Sunlight Sensitive Skin detergent. I didn't let the the agitation cycle come on, I swirled him around with my hands and rinsed him a few times then let him go through the spin cycle. It worked nicely. I let him dry overnight next to the dehumidifier then gave him another brushing. I think I need to get a real fur brush though, any suggestions?

Brian Bildson
11-19-2008, 03:07 PM
Wipe him down with rubbing alcohol to make it shine

coyote17
11-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Any coyote is a good coyote!

mwipf
11-21-2008, 10:49 PM
In one of your pictures the coyote still has eyes. Don't know if he is skinned already or you forgot to take out the eyes.

Bushmaster
11-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Sorry, i just got back from Slave Lake myself.....

Grab him by the nose and snap him, like you would snap a towel.

And I actually run them thru my dryer....at low heat or even no heat if thats an option. You need to get the underfur dry, to make it look fuller.