PDA

View Full Version : Fish farms strike again

Walleyes
11-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Once again the fish farms release fish into the Pacific.. I'm not sure how many of you follow or care really what happens to our west coast Salmon stocks but I do know that there are a lot on here like myself that do care and are very passionate about our west coast. But here is the latest of many fiasco's

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/07/03/bc-atlantic-salmon-escape.html?ref=rss

I just don't understand what its going to take for the government to realise what effect these farms are having on our wild stocks. When its to late I guess,,, once again.. Just really saddens me and makes me angry...

gramps73
11-19-2008, 10:38 PM
It is a shame Walleye, I look forward to my trip to Port Hardy salmon fishing every summer. The most disappointing statement is how many of these go un reported every year.
Gramps

DuckBrat
11-19-2008, 11:00 PM
I feel for you as I have seen up close the effects that sea lice have on smolts. These fish farms are allowing the sea lice numbers to explode in the narrow channels and harbors that these smolts navigate to get out to sea. Time to move the farms inland. Inland farms have been proven to be viable and there is less pollution going directly into our oceans aswell. I would love it when the day arrives that I could buy a farmed salmon without the guilt and without the risks of bio-accumulants giving me cancer.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
11-19-2008, 11:27 PM
I just don't understand what its going to take for the government to realise what effect these farms are having on our wild stocks. When its to late I guess,,, once again.. Just really saddens me and makes me angry...
DIDDO. It will be to late before they deside to do something , then theyll say oh we shoulda done .....

Walleyes
11-20-2008, 10:27 AM
Seems that most everyone realises this other than the powers that be money is a powerfull thing...

There are so many issues facing us outdoors people. Well funded groups that come at us from every possible angle it seems sometimes. Why is it that these groups are so organised and well funded while we seem to be so scattered and under funded. Guess we spend to much of our money on the tools and time to do what we do that there is little left over for the fight..