PDA

View Full Version : Dewitts Pond

Dan01
08-31-2014, 07:32 AM
Hey everyone

Its been a long time since posting but i thought i would share some information that i found out about this pond.

Went to the pond with a friend of mine to kill a few hours and there was a guy fishing next to us and in the water he had a black net sitting in the water. About 30 min goes by and he starts to pack up his gear ..When he pulled up the net it was FULL..Before i asked any questions...POOF there was a officer there hiding in the grass..When the guy saw the officer he dumped the rest back into the pond.Now here is the messed up part. While the officer is going through his gear he pulls out the fish he kept and calls me over and asks if the net was full of these fish..I said yes....They were carp..and not little guys ..The officer told me to catch as many as i want and take them..Someone has illegal has put them in there and Fishing wild life didn't know..So i thought i would share this with everyone.

Happy Fishing :fishing:

Battery
08-31-2014, 08:08 AM
We're building a house very close to De Witt's in Airdrie. If this is true, I am not happy about it unless they are grass carp. I was looking forward to morning walks down the road to catch some bows before work. I'm actually surprised it doesn't just winter kill every year.

Sundancefisher
08-31-2014, 08:41 AM
We're building a house very close to De Witt's in Airdrie. If this is true, I am not happy about it unless they are grass carp. I was looking forward to morning walks down the road to catch some bows before work. I'm actually surprised it doesn't just winter kill every year.

Someone is spreading Prussian carp because the miss them after leaving their motherland. I can't see anyone born and raised in Canada wanting to destroy our fisheries with non native invasive species. Please check with the officer and post any update on charges. There has been a massive wide spread release of these fish now. It seems far to quick to be an accident.

Battery
08-31-2014, 08:48 AM
Someone is spreading Prussian carp because the miss them after leaving their motherland. I can't see anyone born and raised in Canada wanting to destroy our fisheries with non native invasive species. Please check with the officer and post any update on charges. There has been a massive wide spread release of these fish now. It seems far to quick to be an accident.

Where are these native to? Are these the Carp they fish in the UK?. I've been seeing reports of these things in the Bow and other rivers too...unreal.

Sundancefisher
08-31-2014, 10:56 AM
Where are these native to? Are these the Carp they fish in the UK?. I've been seeing reports of these things in the Bow and other rivers too...unreal.

http://www.fws.gov/injuriouswildlife/pdf_files/Carassius_gibelio_WEB_8-14-2012.pdf

Central Europe to into Russia.

Scary...some diseases and parasites could of been brought with them. Now they could be established in our province. I have not heard of anyone studying that issue.

Native non game species are now at risk. Sport fish will be out competed for food in the Red Deer, Bow River and all South Saskatchewan systems. North Saskatchewan will see them sooner than later either through more idiots introducing them or population spread downstream to the Saskatchewan River main stem.

Icatchfish
08-31-2014, 11:18 AM
dude , this really ****es me off. as much as I hate fishing dewitts I feel like taking an electric zapper and net all the fish in there.

people seriously need to report the bucket brigades and the cops need to add jail time and max fines right away.

sp far I have heard of six different places where Carp has been found including the bow river.

spinN'flyfish
08-31-2014, 01:46 PM
really? That really sucks about the carp, stupid people introducin fish

Dan01
08-31-2014, 04:36 PM
When they guy took his net out of the water it was full..Even the officer didn't know what to do...He even said in a pond that size the crap will take over in no time.

Battery
09-01-2014, 10:01 AM
How would I go about catching these things?. I would like to go pay my dues and wreck these little invasive bastards.

Jimboy
09-01-2014, 10:40 AM
Now , dont blame this on chinese ,or you,ll be called a racist .

Mudslide
09-01-2014, 10:50 AM
They should poison Dewitt's immediately and restock with trout in the Spring. I'm surprised they haven't closed it because someone is going to take some of the fish they catch and put them into another water body.

Dan01
09-01-2014, 01:56 PM
The guy next to me that was catching them was using one of those 100ft fishing rods with a small bobber...i don't know what he was using for bait...The officer said they are going out there to check on the pond more often to see how bad the carp is...we should all go one day and just mass fish this pond for the carp.

Mudslide
09-01-2014, 02:36 PM
The only way to guarantee that the Carp are gone is to wipe the pond out and start fresh. Letting people fish for them only encourages others to do the same thing to other ponds and lakes. Kill them, kill them ALL!!!!! :)

Moefoe
09-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Popped in there today just to see what they looked like and yup they are Carp! One guy had a dozen or so in a floating net and was using corn and Carp boilies. As for poisoning the pond I doubt that will happen, there's an outlet creek that runs through a number of properties that cattle drink from. Some of those fish were 2+lbs, had to have been in there for some time!

Mudslide
09-01-2014, 04:34 PM
Pretty sure that creek flows into Dewitt's, but it doesn't matter. These guys who love to fish for them, will take those fish and put them in every lake and pond they can find. They need to stop all fishing immediately and kill all the fish ASAP!

Popped in there today just to see what they looked like and yup they are Carp! One guy had a dozen or so in a floating net and was using corn and Carp boilies. As for poisoning the pond I doubt that will happen, there's an outlet creek that runs through a number of properties that cattle drink from. Some of those fish were 2+lbs, had to have been in there for some time!

Dan01
09-01-2014, 09:38 PM
Sounds like we may possibly loose another fishing spot.

Battery
09-01-2014, 10:10 PM
Went out today with a couple friends...we didn't catch a thing with powerbait and worms. There were a couple guys just non stop catching fish with those huge poles. I didn't get close enough to see in their buckets, so I didn't see what they were catching though, but I normally have zero issues catching trout with powerbait. Im assuming carp wont go after powerbait?

rycoma
09-01-2014, 10:21 PM
That's the English way to carp fish. If they stay there I wouldn't mind so much at least they might last more then a week after it's stocked. I'll be able to take my boys out and actually catch something there other then malaria.

graybeard
05-14-2016, 07:26 AM
This thread is near 2 years old.......
I was out at DeWitt;s Pond yesterday May 13, 2016 and I could not believe what I was witnessing.

There were six new Canadians using those real long fishing rods and catching carp. They did not keep the small rainbows only the carp.
The fellow beside me brought in 20 of these carp in a matter of an hour. He was using a whole wheat flour thick paste on about a #14 hook. The carp were 3"-5" long.

He would set the hook out about 20' from shore with a bobber.

He said they eat them and some people will bury them in the garden. When they are rotted they fertilize their plants.

I will call the Airdrie Hunting and Fishing Association today to inform them the trash cans are all full and the idiots simply toss their trash on the ground.

I had only one bag with me so I filled it with trash but there is a lot left to be removed.

Goater
05-14-2016, 07:34 AM
Maybe we can try this to get rid of them?
http://www.popsci.com/australia-plans-to-kill-invasive-carp-with-herpes

nick0danger
05-14-2016, 07:50 AM
I also noticed, European style carp fishing in the pond behind the home depot in Tuscany Had a bit of a giggle, but now that I hear about this perhaps they know something i don't, perhaps someone put some carp in there.

the local angler
05-14-2016, 10:09 AM
i hit there was there a few weeks ago trying to test this out and sure enough we caught over a hundred all 4-5inches. then the following week went back and couldn't find them. don't know much about these carps. i spoke to an asian fellow very nice guy, and asked how they cook them or what they do with them and he replied they make soup out of them and given to women who have just given birth. i'm not sure how this all works but sounds interesting. i would have fillet and deep fried them.

Moefoe
05-14-2016, 12:01 PM
Saw an Osprey hovering over that pond the other day, guess I know why...little to close to the river for my comfort!

straightshot89
05-14-2016, 12:44 PM
so invasive non native species can be bowfished right? how big are these? i had no idea there were carp in AB but they should be killed asap

slough shark
05-14-2016, 11:17 PM
so invasive non native species can be bowfished right? how big are these? i had no idea there were carp in AB but they should be killed asap

Water visibility is maybe a foot, carp are all quite small, most less than 8 inches, also normally a very crowded lake, so bowfishing isn't an option.

KWO
05-15-2016, 11:19 PM
This thread is near 2 years old.......
I was out at DeWitt;s Pond yesterday May 13, 2016 and I could not believe what I was witnessing.

There were six new Canadians using those real long fishing rods and catching carp. They did not keep the small rainbows only the carp.
The fellow beside me brought in 20 of these carp in a matter of an hour. He was using a whole wheat flour thick paste on about a #14 hook. The carp were 3"-5" long.

He would set the hook out about 20' from shore with a bobber.

He said they eat them and some people will bury them in the garden. When they are rotted they fertilize their plants.

I will call the Airdrie Hunting and Fishing Association today to inform them the trash cans are all full and the idiots simply toss their trash on the ground.

I had only one bag with me so I filled it with trash but there is a lot left to be removed.

I am with the Airdrie Hunting & Fishing Association. Thanks for mentioning the full trash cans. We'll get someone out to empty them as soon as possible.

graybeard
05-17-2016, 09:20 AM
I am with the Airdrie Hunting & Fishing Association. Thanks for mentioning the full trash cans. We'll get someone out to empty them as soon as possible.

Thanks KWO......

chucky
05-12-2018, 11:10 PM
Dewitt pond is riddled with these, mostly tiny couple of inches, this one was a bit bigger. Such a shame. I wish they were easier to catch (with a fly) so i could actively try to cull some... they should really electroshock this pond and start clean
http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx77/cibi42/52FE3642-C689-4331-8C6C-D56BA93F8896.jpeg (http://s743.photobucket.com/user/cibi42/media/52FE3642-C689-4331-8C6C-D56BA93F8896.jpeg.html)

Big Red 250
05-13-2018, 08:18 AM
So, how did these Prussian Carp get to be in canada in the first place and in these trout ponds. Can't see them swimming over here from eastern Europe/Russia nor see anyone hauling them here in their suitcase. How did they get here?

kinwahkly
05-13-2018, 12:25 PM
Illegally placed in water bodies by individuals.

JareS
05-13-2018, 01:07 PM
So, how did these Prussian Carp get to be in canada in the first place and in these trout ponds. Can't see them swimming over here from eastern Europe/Russia nor see anyone hauling them here in their suitcase. How did they get here?

My response to the same question asked last year in the McGregor Prussian carp thread:

That's what I find odd about this.. The only ever record of importation to North America happened in 1876, imported to New York State from Germany. They did not naturalize, nor were there any reports whatsoever of this specimen until 2006 when they magically appeared in Alberta; the first ever confirmed case of Prussian Carp in North American waters.

It's widely beleived that they were in a private dugout/pond that flooded and spilled into the river, as they were detected one year after the floods of '05

So how did they get into that dugout in the first place? Smuggled in a water jug in someone's luggage from an overseas flight? That would be my guess

The ones showing up in trout ponds like Dewitts are obviously by people that are illegally stocking them, to expand their range essentially. But how they got here in the first place remains the million (billion?) dollar question

spin
05-16-2018, 09:40 AM
Was there yesterday night. There were lots of mosquitos and mayflies (I think) hatching. I saw tons of these little carp jumping. Wasn't able to entice any with a fly (tried a different patterns). Anyone have some tips?

pinelakeperch
05-16-2018, 11:02 AM
Was there yesterday night. There were lots of mosquitos and mayflies (I think) hatching. I saw tons of these little carp jumping. Wasn't able to entice any with a fly (tried a different patterns). Anyone have some tips?

Your best bet is a small hook or jig with bait under a small slip bobber.

BH3500
05-16-2018, 12:26 PM
Your best bet is a small hook or jig with bait under a small slip bobber.

This ^

spin
05-16-2018, 10:35 PM
Thanks guys! Was hoping to get some practice casting the fly rod but maybe next time I'll bring my spinning set up too! I think the carp would make good fertilizer for the veggie garden at home :fighting0021:

Pikebreath
05-17-2018, 12:32 PM
The ones showing up in trout ponds like Dewitts are obviously by people that are illegally stocking them, to expand their range essentially. But how they got here in the first place remains the million (billion?) dollar question

Well, I wouldn't necessarily put the blame on someone purposely trying to expand the prussion carp range,,, there are other species of carp that get larger and are more popular for angling or eating which would make sense to introduce if you are missing "old world" carp.

Prussion carp, however, are in the same family as goldfish and I suspect many have been sold as "pet goldfish". All too often people buying goldfish as pets tire of them, but don't have the heart or gumption to destroy them (you know it might traumatize the kids), so they release them into a local pond so that "Nemo" can now live a long natural life. As "well intentioned' as their actions are, it shows an ignorance and obliviousness to the potential harm such actions can create to aquatic ecosystems.

There are many documented cases of introductions of unwanted harmful species all around the world becuz of irresponsible pet owners releasing their pets live into the environment rather than destroying them.

Flieguy
05-19-2018, 01:13 PM

if using a dry try moving it, and if that doesn't work try a nymph or small leech under an indicator

JareS
05-19-2018, 05:23 PM
Well, I wouldn't necessarily put the blame on someone purposely trying to expand the prussion carp range,,, there are other species of carp that get larger and are more popular for angling or eating which would make sense to introduce if you are missing "old world" carp.

Prussion carp, however, are in the same family as goldfish and I suspect many have been sold as "pet goldfish". All too often people buying goldfish as pets tire of them, but don't have the heart or gumption to destroy them (you know it might traumatize the kids), so they release them into a local pond so that "Nemo" can now live a long natural life. As "well intentioned' as their actions are, it shows an ignorance and obliviousness to the potential harm such actions can create to aquatic ecosystems.

There are many documented cases of introductions of unwanted harmful species all around the world becuz of irresponsible pet owners releasing their pets live into the environment rather than destroying them.

Other than Grass Carp which don’t reproduce, you’d have to go out of province to find the larger carp such as Common Carp. Prussian Carp are the only carp available, thats why they’re being illegally stocked.

Prussian Carp and Goldfish are two different species. However, virtually indistinguishable without DNA testing to ID. They would have had to have been sent from overseas and sold here as “goldfish.”

Pikebreath
05-20-2018, 12:12 AM
Prussian Carp and Goldfish are two different species. However, virtually indistinguishable without DNA testing to ID. They would have had to have been sent from overseas and sold here as “goldfish.”

Yes,,,, that is the very likely the way Prussian carp got into Alberta given the difficulty in distinguishing between common goldfish and prussion carp.

Willowayin
05-20-2018, 07:43 AM

Small size 12 hook with bread paste.... thats the secret... now don't tell anyone... basic recipes on Internet don't need anything fancy, less is more. Fly fishing for carp not as successful.
Spin fishing or pole fishing (Asian style )When placing bobber on line the hook should be near the bottom. Use a weight on hook to determine water depth and adjust bobber accordingly. Use pea size paste on hook, now the paste should slowly dissolve off so if u have a thin pencil bobber or float I should say.. u should be able to see the float rise up when bait is gone. I normally have 2 lines attached to 3 way swivel, one 8 in and one 10 in or whatever. Carp don't bite the hook, they nibble nibble so it's takes the right timing to set the hook.