PDA

View Full Version : Prince Rupert camping and moorage.

Nakoda boater
09-04-2014, 07:33 PM
We are planning for next summers salmon trip and looking for info on camping (one RV and one tent) with close by moorage. Has anyone here hauled their boat and camped in this area?

Jamie
09-04-2014, 07:53 PM
We are planning for next summers salmon trip and looking for info on camping (one RV and one tent) with close by moorage. Has anyone here hauled their boat and camped in this area?

Nakoda..
You could try the Prince Rupert Yacht club.
If you cant get in there, you are pulling your boat each night.
Only one camp ground in Rupert.

Where will you be fishing?

Jamie

Nakoda boater
09-05-2014, 05:00 AM
Good question, being new to that area this something that needs to be looked into. A constraint would be the size of our boat that being a 18-1/2 footer. I have charts on the sounder but no radar for the fog.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

skidderman
09-05-2014, 07:01 AM
If it was me I would hire a guide at least for a bit. Good gps and maps. Once you are out of the harbour everything starts looking the same. I have a lot of respect for that area however I saw a few at the campground that were doing it on their own. Lots of reefs & logs. Once when being guided we got fogged in. It was kind of freaky but the guide had radar and even with that he seemed very serious.

moose maniac
09-05-2014, 09:06 AM
Not a chance I would fish there with no radar

Sea Hawk
09-05-2014, 12:43 PM
There is a campground in Port Edward. It is walking distance to the marina. If you want to go there, you may have to book ahead as the campground fills up with fishermen. As for radar, I do not have it on my boat so we choose our days carefully.Radar may keep you from getting run over but I do not know if it would help you dodge the debris in the water.That is why we only go out when we can see.

Sea Hawk
09-05-2014, 12:59 PM
I would also strongly suggest that you have a backup motor. I would not go out without one and I test mine every morning before I leave the marina.
There are lots of people that do it themselves but as the Coast Guard officer told me "they rescue people from alberta every year".

fishhawk1850
09-05-2014, 09:03 PM
Good question, being new to that area this something that needs to be looked into. A constraint would be the size of our boat that being a 18-1/2 footer. I have charts on the sounder but no radar for the fog.
Any input would be greatly appreciated!

What type of 18 1/2' boat do you have ? The first time we fished Rupert it was in a Crestliner Fishhawk 1850, We just had to be carefull of the weather and have the marine radio on listening for weather alerts. The nicest thing about the Rupert area is the amount of Islands we always found a calmer area to fish.What time of year are you planning to go ? As for radar I have not had it yet on the last 2 boats but will be putting it on the new one we just bought only because I plan to keep this one for a while. Some mornings we just had to wait for the fog to lighten or follow another boat out (did that a few times). Prince Rupert is a very nice place to fish and once you go you will be going back all the time . Last year we spent 4 weeks there, this year we spent 2 weeks in Rupert and 3 weeks on Van Island. Next summer I hope to spend the whole summer in Rupert or at least a good part of it. Their are a lot of guys on here that fish Rupert and have helped me and the wife out with info, Jamie being the biggest help. I still owe him a few but can't seem to meet up with him when we are there but we will one day. Let me know if I can help with any thing. Fishhawk

Nakoda boater
09-06-2014, 03:51 PM
What type of 18 1/2' boat do you have ? The first time we fished Rupert it was in a Crestliner Fishhawk 1850, We just had to be carefull of the weather and have the marine radio on listening for weather alerts. The nicest thing about the Rupert area is the amount of Islands we always found a calmer area to fish.What time of year are you planning to go ? As for radar I have not had it yet on the last 2 boats but will be putting it on the new one we just bought only because I plan to keep this one for a while. Some mornings we just had to wait for the fog to lighten or follow another boat out (did that a few times). Prince Rupert is a very nice place to fish and once you go you will be going back all the time . Last year we spent 4 weeks there, this year we spent 2 weeks in Rupert and 3 weeks on Van Island. Next summer I hope to spend the whole summer in Rupert or at least a good part of it. Their are a lot of guys on here that fish Rupert and have helped me and the wife out with info, Jamie being the biggest help. I still owe him a few but can't seem to meet up with him when we are there but we will one day. Let me know if I can help with any thing. Fishhawk

We have Thunder Jet Hawk XL. We are planing for the 2nd and 3rd week next Aug. We fished Nootka this year and while it's mainly inlet fishing we did go outside on three occasions but staying within eye shot of the sound, it is a very busy area with a lot of fishing in packs. We were told about the calmer island fishing but with the ability to catch bottom fish along with salmon in the same area.

fishhawk1850
09-06-2014, 09:24 PM
We have Thunder Jet Hawk XL. We are planing for the 2nd and 3rd week next Aug. We fished Nootka this year and while it's mainly inlet fishing we did go outside on three occasions but staying within eye shot of the sound, it is a very busy area with a lot of fishing in packs. We were told about the calmer island fishing but with the ability to catch bottom fish along with salmon in the same area.

Nice boat we looked at one of them, then decided on the Tyee OS 23 with full hardtop and Alaskan bulkhead. You should have no problem fishing around Rupert. Yes the Hali and other bottom fishing is awesome around Rupert, me and my son had one great morning this year saw 24 Hali under 20lb in 3 hours. Then pulled anchor and started trolling for salmon it was one of our better days this year I think it was July 1st. We have not been there in August but last year we fished the first week of Sept. and the Koho fishing was non stop with a good mix of Chinook. I hooked a nice 22lb Hali while trolling for salmon one day that was a fun 30 min fight. Cant wait for next June

Nakoda boater
09-10-2014, 06:09 AM
Nice boat we looked at one of them, then decided on the Tyee OS 23 with full hardtop and Alaskan bulkhead. You should have no problem fishing around Rupert. Yes the Hali and other bottom fishing is awesome around Rupert, me and my son had one great morning this year saw 24 Hali under 20lb in 3 hours. Then pulled anchor and started trolling for salmon it was one of our better days this year I think it was July 1st. We have not been there in August but last year we fished the first week of Sept. and the Koho fishing was non stop with a good mix of Chinook. I hooked a nice 22lb Hali while trolling for salmon one day that was a fun 30 min fight. Cant wait for next June

Sounds great, so in your honest opinion the best time to go is in June? Maybe more Chinook around perhaps?

Jamie
09-10-2014, 08:16 AM
Sounds great, so in your honest opinion the best time to go is in June? Maybe more Chinook around perhaps?

It just depends what you want out of it.

June = Chinooks
July = Chinooks + Coho
August = Coho

Hali is always around.

Jamie

Skybuster
09-11-2014, 09:37 AM
It just depends what you want out of it.

June = Chinooks
July = Chinooks + Coho
August = Coho

Hali is always around.

Jamie

Any comment on what is good in September, like now?
btw Jamie, your PM box is full.

fishhawk1850
09-14-2014, 04:33 PM
We went last year at this time and caught big Koho and a few Chinook and Hali. The Koho averaged about 12lb+, The crab was also real good.