PDA

View Full Version : New to the Area - Looking for Fishing Buddy

TheSookesOfHazzard
09-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Hey everyone!

I just moved to Calgary from Victoria, BC. I guided for two years out west in both the Haida Gwaii and on the island itself, and have been around boats and fishing my whole life (worked in a marine shop for 7 years). Had my own boat out there two and regularly went out for Salmon, Halibut, etc.

That said, I know next to nothing about fresh water fishing - though we had lots of that out there too, I concentrated on the salt. I would be extremely gracious if somebody here might invite me along on an expedition; will cover my share of expenses. I assume with winter approaching the opportunities will diminish, but I am available any weekend over the next while to take a stab at it!

In the meantime I will study this forum to learn about all the great fishing opportunities in Alberta and the techniques necessary for success, but we all know that hands-on is the quickest and most effective way to learn! I also brought lots of fresh frozen fish in my move and don't mind sharing with my next teacher!

Tight lines all - looking forward to this new experience! Feel free to PM me or comment on this thread if you are down to wet a line with a prairie newbie!

P.S. Sooke is a municipality outside Victoria and a popular fishing destination, hence the name - is also the name of my boat.

binnzer32
09-06-2014, 06:57 PM
I can probably try and get you out at somepoint but I live in edmonton. I generally Fish south though but about 100 km north of you. ...

Hey everyone!

I just moved to Calgary from Victoria, BC. I guided for two years out west in both the Haida Gwaii and on the island itself, and have been around boats and fishing my whole life (worked in a marine shop for 7 years). Had my own boat out there two and regularly went out for Salmon, Halibut, etc.

That said, I know next to nothing about fresh water fishing - though we had lots of that out there too, I concentrated on the salt. I would be extremely gracious if somebody here might invite me along on an expedition; will cover my share of expenses. I assume with winter approaching the opportunities will diminish, but I am available any weekend over the next while to take a stab at it!

In the meantime I will study this forum to learn about all the great fishing opportunities in Alberta and the techniques necessary for success, but we all know that hands-on is the quickest and most effective way to learn! I also brought lots of fresh frozen fish in my move and don't mind sharing with my next teacher!

Tight lines all - looking forward to this new experience! Feel free to PM me or comment on this thread if you are down to wet a line with a prairie newbie!

P.S. Sooke is a municipality outside Victoria and a popular fishing destination, hence the name - is also the name of my boat.

jacenbeers
09-06-2014, 08:13 PM
The open water season is coming to a close soon but that just opens up the world of ice fishing for you which is probably completely new. You should get out on the ice and catch a bunch. Welcome to AB.

oilngas
09-06-2014, 08:19 PM
PM me mid week, if the weather get nice again I will be going out. I'm retired and live in Lake Sundance.

TheSookesOfHazzard
09-07-2014, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the responses all! Figured the open season was near done, but still interested in whatever opportunities there are, including ice fishing!