PDA

View Full Version : Newell vs cvr?

dryrush
09-06-2014, 07:07 PM
Planning a camp/fish trip with a good buddy of mine for this up coming weekend. we are both trout fishermen so all new territory to us. Kinda narrowed it down to these two lakes due to no reason at all. Hehe
My questions are out of the two lakes which camp site is the nicest? Is there a fee to launch the boat on either lakes?
And I am also leaning towards Newell since there Is night fishing allowed and perched added into the mix.

Any feed back on these lakes are appreciated

BeeGuy
09-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Do you have a boat?

dryrush
09-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Do you have a boat?

Yes sir

oilngas
09-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Newell's campground is pretty old n worn down, but I have not been thru it for a few years. CVR is new c/w power and a central shower, central water supply, dump station and two boat launches in the campground.

calgarygringo
09-06-2014, 08:21 PM
From Calgary quick trip Cv and nice campground if bigger fish and more options Newell for an extra half hour or so down the road.

rielbowhunter
09-06-2014, 10:08 PM
boat launch is free at newell, and I am pretty sure its free at CVR. my family would way rather stay at Newell.

npauls
09-07-2014, 12:03 AM
Or you guys could come down south to st.mary and participate in the walleye tourney this weekend.
Pretty good walleye action down there in the fall.

SDW
09-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Is there Any gun ranges around rimbey,ab.
Thanks

dryrush
09-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Or you guys could come down south to st.mary and participate in the walleye tourney this weekend.

We thought about it, going to save it for next year I think. I still need to find out my hull ID on the old tin can before I can get the gas engine going... I am not a very good walleye fisherman since I can't catch more than 1 a year... I need some practice first haha

spinN'flyfish
09-07-2014, 01:52 PM

do you have to have a boat to catch 'em?

npauls
09-07-2014, 05:00 PM
do you have to have a boat to catch 'em?

Yes you need to have a boat for the sawt tournaments.

All the rules are on the sawt website.

This is a very good tourney to come out to try your hand at your first competitive event. Plenty of fish to be caught out there.

Keep an eye on other anglers out there and you will start to catch on to what techniques they are using.

Bring jigs, crankbaits, lindy rig gear, and spinner rig gear along with minnows. Worms. And leeches for bait.

spinN'flyfish
09-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Yes you need to have a boat for the sawt tournaments.

All the rules are on the sawt website.

This is a very good tourney to come out to try your hand at your first competitive event. Plenty of fish to be caught out there.

Keep an eye on other anglers out there and you will start to catch on to what techniques they are using.

Bring jigs, crankbaits, lindy rig gear, and spinner rig gear along with minnows. Worms. And leeches for bait.

Well looks like im in the market for a boat next year, st mary is pretty big

HookedOnKokanee
09-07-2014, 08:23 PM
I have followed your instructions for the entry forms for the walleye tournament but no luck, explain again where to get the info!!??:angry3:

npauls
09-07-2014, 10:40 PM
The sawt website should have entry forms to print off and fill out.

If i were you i would print off the entry forms and bring the forms and cash on friday before the number picking and rules meeting.

There is also contact information for the executives on the sawt website.

lakerfisher
09-08-2014, 12:56 AM
There both sloughs but if I had to choose I would go to Newell, better walleye and pike fishing.

slamilton
09-08-2014, 07:46 AM
I camped at Newell in spring and found it really nice although fishing wasnt the greatest. Did manage quite a few smaller pike trolling and fishing from dock. On the way back drove into CVR and it was a slough as someone else mentioned with people everywhere so we didnt even bother to fish. Definitely recommend Newell over that just in terms of scenery.

madatter
09-08-2014, 02:00 PM
I've been slamming pike at Newell....Walleye too
I picked up some undersubscrided walleye tags(43cm or smaller) and cannot catch any small enough.
They can keep the Zero limit on pike as far as I'm concerned!!

dryrush
09-14-2014, 09:19 AM
I've been slamming pike at Newell....Walleye too
I picked up some undersubscrided walleye tags(43cm or smaller) and cannot catch any small enough.
They can keep the Zero limit on pike as far as I'm concerned!!

Haha all day yesterday and only one 3" perch

Looking for some eyes today, buddy camping across from us had a hog. Got my man envy going ;)

The Reel Deal
09-14-2014, 01:17 PM
They're sitting in 16-22'

madatter
09-15-2014, 04:59 AM
Haha all day yesterday and only one 3" perch

Looking for some eyes today, buddy camping across from us had a hog. Got my man envy going ;)

Largest walleye I've caught was 9.5lbs.
Lots in 4-6 lb range.
Two weekends ago myself and girlfriend caught 40pike.....woulda been more but she was having a lot of issues:)
3 of the pike were 12lbs plus....
Going again tuesday to see if they are still hungry.