PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Terrace

CenterPin
09-08-2014, 10:24 PM
So Im havin a hard time making it to work for these next 2 weeks. I leave a week from Friday for 3 weeks of steelhead/coho fishing in Terrace. My brother has been there fishing for 5 days now and the updates of steady fish everyday is killing me! lol 3 of us made the trip same time last year for 2 weeks with easily over 100 fish brought to shore. Half and half steelhead and big northern coho. From all accounts this year sounds like a solid steelhead return and coho just about to ramp up! Anyone else on here planning on making a trip to Terrace in the coming weeks?

Cheers..

lakerfisher
09-08-2014, 11:57 PM
Not going there but I hope you have a good time.

Bring back pictures.

Moefoe
09-09-2014, 02:13 AM
Ah I miss going up there this time of year...even a bad run of Steelhead was worth hitting those rivers, enjoy and let us know how you did!!

waterninja
09-09-2014, 07:30 AM
Should be a great trip! Some of my best fishing memories are from the buckly and morrice rivers downstream from terrace.

CenterPin
09-09-2014, 05:16 PM
I know what you mean Waterninja. The Bulkley was the first river I fished in B.C. goin back 8 years. Never had a tonne of success there but such a beautiful steelhead river and the memories of my 1st trip out will always be special.

Peterupnorth
09-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Anyone else on here planning on making a trip to Terrace in the coming weeks?

Cheers..[/QUOTE]

I'm also hoping to get out there for a few days at the end of the month. Biggest concern is whether or not the fishing will be good. Last year we went and only caught a few and heard there was a huge run of salmon in the sound but that they hadn't started to run upriver. We got 16 hour drive...that's a long way to go and find out they aren't running. Maybe we could keep in touch?

CenterPin
09-10-2014, 06:32 PM
ya sure Peterupnorth.. Feel free to shoot ma a PM and I can give you contact info to fill you in on how the action is.

super mario
09-10-2014, 06:51 PM
WE going first week oct

CenterPin
09-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Sweet... which rivers do you plan to fish?

jabryan
09-10-2014, 08:38 PM
My buddies just got back said it was amazing they went for 3 weeks as well.

CenterPin
09-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Such amazing country. Were lucky to have it just down the street. Well 16 hours down the street....:)

CenterPin
09-29-2014, 05:27 PM
So I got to Terrace a week ago and despite tough water conditions still done pretty well. Caught 2 15lb steelhead as well as 4 other steelhead and about 10 nice northern coho. My brother has got 2 steelhead at18lbs and one at 20. This was with avg water clarity of just over a foot and nowhere near the run that's going to happen. Pretty excited for the next few days! Fish are on the move up river and not much rain for the next 2 days... Seriously... this is gonna be good!

mikebossy
09-29-2014, 07:21 PM
nice work brothers Hogan, wish i was there with ya, hopefully some fall soon

fzo
10-01-2014, 01:53 AM
really nice. want to go there soon too .

Wild&Free
10-01-2014, 02:14 AM
Should be a great trip! Some of my best fishing memories are from the buckly and morrice rivers downstream from terrace.

those rivers are upstream of Terrace. Morice joins with the little Bulkley just outside of Houston, which meets the Skeena at Hazelton.

I know what you mean Waterninja. The Bulkley was the first river I fished in B.C. goin back 8 years. Never had a tonne of success there but such a beautiful steelhead river and the memories of my 1st trip out will always be special.

The Bulkley itself upstream of Morristown canyon is a challenging river to fish. it's a corridor to spawning bed and fish just swim right on through, though there are some populations that spawn in that section, they're part of the early portions of the runs so they've been hit hard by the Commercial fisheries of days past and the Americans still.

Those two rivers were my playground for almost 20 years of fishing. The lower half of the Morice being the one I am most familiar with. I have met dozens of people there who were skunked, some Europeans from Italy who never even had a hit until there last day, an American whom after 12 days, that I met on his last evening of fishing never even got that much, I pulled out 3 that evening and an Albertan doing reno's on the local supermarket who in 2-3 months only caught as many as you could count on one hand iirc.

I'd love to go back this year, hit up some of the mid October springs in the Nass system, and beauty steelheads in the upper Morice, but alas it's just not in the cards for me.

There is something magical about the Bulkley Valley. No matter how long I've been away, where I go or what happens to me a sense of peace and contentment always settle upon me when I see Morice Mountain, Hudson Bay Mountain, and the Telkwa and Babine Ranges.

edmhunter
10-01-2014, 06:23 AM
Gotta love Terrace! Stop in town for a couple of days before I go to Prince Rupert to fish for Halibut, Salmon and Cod. When there I pull out a silver spin and glow and WHAM, several 25+lbs Chinook salmon. Love it!

Wild&Free
10-01-2014, 06:28 AM
Gotta love Terrace! Stop in town for a couple of days before I go to Prince Rupert to fish for Halibut, Salmon and Cod. When there I pull out a silver spin and glow and WHAM, several 25+lbs Chinook salmon. Love it!

Ahh the good old spin n glo.

when I was living in the Soo, met an old timer fishing 'kings' on the river behind the mall. when I saw what he was losing gear wise to the rocks I went to the shop and saw they were $15+ a pop!!! I tied up a few spin n glo rigs, told him you can make 3 of them + weights for the cost of 1 plug. watched him pull out a nice 18# king on a spin n glo and carried on my merry way.

CenterPin
10-03-2014, 09:42 PM
So Ive been here a week and a half and besides the rain and river conditions, fishing is getting better and better. Coho have been non existant on the river system were focusing on but since we decided to focus on steelhead water has turned out quite nice. ive got one at 18lbs another at 15lbs and probably another 6/7 around 10lbs plus 5/6 nice coho. My brother still owns the steelhead of the trip at 20lbs to go with his 3 18lbers. Anyways another day off tomorrow due to the rain but when the rivers clear up, id expect the coho to finally show up in numbers and should be some fantastic fishing. :)photos to come at some point..

CenterPin
10-03-2014, 09:49 PM
:sign0161:ohh.... This update is since the last one.

CenterPin
10-08-2014, 01:57 PM
So conditions have been sketchy at best the last week or so. The big run of Northern coho still havnt come through in any #s. When we found clearish water fishing has been good. Clearly this is a really late year as I caught a couple of sockeye yesterday and surprisingly good shape. ( never caught a colored up male sockeye before, and quite cool looking to say the least). 12 coho 3 sockeye and 1 steelhead between 2 of us,not a bad day for really tough conditions. River looked really good today and probably picked a bad day to take the day off..... but its hockey day!! Tomorrow will be excellent conditions and hope to end off the last few days chasing some jumbo steel!

Wild&Free
10-08-2014, 04:47 PM
sockeye in October is a little odd, good catch number though. keep flogging that river!

CenterPin
10-09-2014, 10:53 PM
Wow some really cool stuff happened this morning... 10 min into our first spot on the river, I hook a 20lb slab of a steelhead full of **** and viniger. A couple min into the fight and 10 or so leaps for the sky my fish is about 125 yards downstream. (still jumping) I yell to my brother "im ****ed get the boat!" About 30 seconds later, both dogs are in the boat and Mikes telling me to jump in on the flyby. 3 spots later down river and about a 1/2 km the 1st successful "get the ****in boat!" on a big steelhead lol.