PDA

View Full Version : Bear spray

Mike_W
09-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Who carries it and how? On a pack or in a hip holster?

rielbowhunter
09-09-2014, 06:16 PM
Always on my backpack hip belt. I have one on each pack I use.

Big Bull
09-09-2014, 06:18 PM
I carry it everyday from April to the end of November. I always have it close to my hip, whether on my belt, camera bag strap, or backpack waist belt, and I always carry it when hunting in Grizzly country.

35 whelen
09-09-2014, 06:31 PM
x2

bigbfidaddy
09-09-2014, 06:39 PM
X2-x2

Zuludog
09-09-2014, 06:42 PM
I carry mine on the hip belt of my day pack but mad thinking of attaching it to my shoulder strap for possibly quicker access.

kujoseto
09-09-2014, 06:43 PM
On my hip. Even though every black bear I've come across takes off, I have it for the one who doesn't :) Or I guess a cougar (or grizzly if I stumble into their neck of the woods one day)

Ques
09-09-2014, 07:49 PM
Right on my chest. Can be expelled without having to be removed from the case.

dfrobert
09-09-2014, 07:55 PM
On my belt in a holster while hunting, and on my fly fishing vest in a holster while fly fishing in bear country.

Muskeg
09-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Carry mine in right hand pant pocket but when I'm walking in bush
I carry bow in left hand or on shoulder and bear spray in
Right hand with safety on. It's ready to go if I get a surprise charge!
No fumbling. Never had any issues with bears while hunting
and never packed until this year. Lots of sign this year where I frequent.
Best be safe

SCHOOCH
09-09-2014, 10:08 PM
Just started carrying it this year, i keep it in a holster on my right hip. Figured i pushed my luck long enough with the few bears and cougars on my properties. Better safe than sorry and makes me feel just a little better going in and leaving in the pitch black.....money well spent just for that!!!

wasteland.soldier
09-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Even getting out of the car to rock a p!ss, I have two on my chest in a pack like this

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9pmAs-qfwOE/UtwKQtGvdyI/AAAAAAAAAlA/JJliltFDJCE/s1600/OSPREY+TALON+4.jpg

If one is 14 seconds I'm tempted to pack four, but hopefully 28 seconds will do it.

I'm really heartened to see all the people on this thread carrying it in an accessible location.

With a supposed Parks "expert" on human/wildlife interaction keeping his bear spray in his backpack and luckily having the bear chomp on it, and the recent tragedy that befell Rick Cross, I've been more and more worried about my fellow hunters. Keep up the good work guys, and stay safe out there.

Sitkaspruce
09-10-2014, 08:58 PM
I carry one on my hip, right side.

I teach a bear aware and bear spray course for the Oil and Gas and have attended a few courses put on by some of the best bear people in NA.

One thing that was mentioned again and again is it is NOT recommended to carry a spray on a chest holster. If you do not get it out in time, and it is still in the holster, it now is on a location where a bear bites it and it explodes in your face. It is a dangerous situation to have that happen in an already bad situation.

Just a thought for you chest carriers.

Cheers

SS

pikeslayer22
09-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Never carried and doubt I ever will while out hunting...I would consider wearing it after dark in most of the Canadian cities nowadays!

CROWROCK
09-10-2014, 09:49 PM
For chest mount bear spray: do you use a Bino buddy style harness?

fordtruckin
09-10-2014, 09:58 PM
I carry one on my front and then a secondary one hanging off my pack on the back. The one up front is for me, the 2nd one is for who ever is hiking behind me since I usually take point.

A Sittn Duck
09-11-2014, 06:59 AM
Mine is on the hip belt of my pack. When I take the pack off, first thing done is transferring it to my pant belt... Recently came in very handy a week ago. (see "I Had to Mace a Bear" thread)

Mike_W
09-11-2014, 07:01 AM
So are guys just using the standard holsters that are available at outdoor stores?

A Sittn Duck
09-11-2014, 08:22 AM
So are guys just using the standard holsters that are available at outdoor stores?

Thats what I've got. In all honesty, they dont come out well at all. I arrange mine so its facing properly, making it possible to shoot from the hip

Speckle55
09-11-2014, 08:31 AM
On my right hip with my 30-30 loaded 180 gr on my shoulder when I am out

David:)

Mike_W
09-11-2014, 08:45 AM
In all honesty I hate bears although I'm not too worried about black bears even though I have been lunged at by one at about 10 feet then had another snap its jaw and circle me. But I guess there is always a very slight chance of cougar and or grizz where I hunt.

LA_bowhunter
09-11-2014, 09:46 AM
1 on the hip. Had this guy at 10 yards last year while bow hunting elk and didn't know until he spooked. Got this picture when he stopped at 30 yards for a sniff!! Guess he didn't like what I did in my pants and left! LOL Frankly, even with a gun I would have been on the ground without any chance of a shot if he wanted to take me out. Spray would have been my only option while he was on me.

Zuludog
09-11-2014, 05:00 PM
LOL I bumped one last year at about 20 yards, while elk hunting too.
Lucky for me he bolted at right angles to me and headed deep into the bush. :)

bergman
09-11-2014, 06:53 PM
I carry it on a hip belt, but have been thinking of getting the scat belt (http://www.scatbelt.com/wildlife-series/) for hiking. Not sure how it would fit with a pack, though.