PDA

View Full Version : Spoons and Gulp Trout Bait Videos at East Pit

Brandonkop
09-09-2014, 09:19 PM
Here are the videos I put together from East Pit to show you what I was doing out there and hopefully can help out some of the people who had questions and PMs.

Spoons for Trout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwK8i3myClY

How I rig Powerbait and Gulp Trout Dough or other floating baits. I used to fish Marshmellow or powerbait on a Pik rig prior to moving to California and then saw that this is how most guys do it down here. I had no success with Pik rig and a whole lot of success this way. Found out it works even better in Alberta! Give it a try.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bITC7weG5Lo

Hope you guys are enjoying the fall season... I don't think I'll be back till October or November now and will be moving to BC this fall. So excited to be back in Canada.

slamilton
09-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Nice, wish I would've seen this before I went to Payne Lake last weekend but will definitely try. Thanks.

Brandonkop
09-10-2014, 09:37 PM
Nice, wish I would've seen this before I went to Payne Lake last weekend but will definitely try. Thanks.

No problem... with the bait fishing it pays to be a little inpatient as well. I don't leave it sit too long in one spot. Maybe ten minutes then I move it a little. Every 20 min or so I'll change bait. All this will help increase your odds with the bait.

With spoons variation of speed is key. Sometimes cast it out start reeling as soon as it hits. If that doesn't work to a 5 second count down, 10 second count and so on to see where they lie in the water column. Just stuff I didn't mention in the video which may help next time you're out.

AppleJax
09-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Great videos Brandon. I like the sliding rig your using, just like I use for Sturgeon fishing! Low impact...

If I could suggest one modification, a bead or two on the mainline between the barrel swivel and the egg weight will prevent the weight from damaging the knot on the barrel swivel. Doesn't look like that was a problem for you but it could happen...

Keep up the videos!

scesfiremedic
09-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Great videos Brandon!

Where do you buy the Thomas Buoyant Cyclone spoons locally?

Thanks

Brandonkop
09-10-2014, 11:49 PM
Great videos Brandon. I like the sliding rig your using, just like I use for Sturgeon fishing! Low impact...

If I could suggest one modification, a bead or two on the mainline between the barrel swivel and the egg weight will prevent the weight from damaging the knot on the barrel swivel. Doesn't look like that was a problem for you but it could happen...

Keep up the videos!

Great tip. I don't seem to have a problem with knot failure but maybe that is because they weight is so small and has a large enough hole that the knot fits inside the weight. Interesting thing is I have put the bead on before when using same set up but under a slip float. I put a large pink bead on one of my lines like you mentioned. That line caught 5:1 fish. Who know's they might have been attracted to the bead floating along in the water and then smelled the bait floating above it.

Great videos Brandon!

Where do you buy the Thomas Buoyant Cyclone spoons locally?

Thanks

Sorry I don't buy them very locally. I buy them at the Bass Pro Shop or Walmart in California, pack them in my suitcase and thats how I get them to Alberta. I buy a lot of lures online these days too so you may want to look there. But I'd check the Bass Pro in Calgary or Cabela's in Edmonton since they carry them in the USA.